SSD Advice

rjotto

Hello!

I want to ask you guys for some advice. I am planning to buy a ssd for a boot up drive. I am on a tight budget and therefore 128 gb is my choice for capacity. So the question is wich drive do you think is the best if MTBF and reliability is a concern. Currently I am looking at Samsung 840 EVO or OCZ 4.50 or Plextor M5S. What do you think? Which one should i get?

Thanks in advance!

Either of those are great options. I personally would go 840 Evo

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

I'd personally go for the Samsung. Either will do the job, really.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Yes the samsung looks like the best, but I am worried about mean time before failure because of the slc cache. 

I have a bias towards Samsung, however I would recommend it depending on price really. As @Skyfire said all of them will get the job done.   :D

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

As stated by others, either of them will do. I would personally lead towards Samsung though.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Yes the samsung looks like the best, but I am worried about mean time before failure because of the slc cache. 

You're using it as a boot drive only, aren't you? It's mostly reads only. SLC cache shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Or you could just grab a regular 840. Problem solved, haha. OR grab the Pro if you want MLC ... lasts much longer I believe.

But you're looking at like around 5-10 years before any "healthy" SSD fails on you.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

samsung all the way dude

(not for speeds rather than quality and warranty assistance..)

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

Thank you all for the quick respone. If every single person suggested samsung, then I guess I will get the samsung. 

@Skyfire: I want to install some games too, but it wont be a problem I guess :)

Thank you all for the quick respone. If every single person suggested samsung, then I guess I will get the samsung. 

@Skyfire: I want to install some games too, bu it wont be a problem I guess :)

If you're looking for a drive that will last you for a while then I would copy my rig and go with the Samsung 840 Pro, configuring it for maximum reliability.  :ph34r:

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Personally I would go for either the samsung or the plextor as I own two samsung drives and they have proven to be very reliable and have heard heard many good things about plextor however I have had some bad problems like many others with OCZ drives.

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

@Skyfire: I want to install some games too, but it wont be a problem I guess :)

how many games are you talking about?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

Personally I would go for either the samsung or the plextor as I own two samsung drives and they have proven to be very reliable and have heard heard many good things about plextor however I have had some bad problems like many others with OCZ drives.

Like...? what problems?

Like...? what problems?

I have had three and two of which have died not sure if it was me or if they were just dodgy drives from the start.

So I spelt something wrong in my post... I don't care I don't read through what I write and I type very quickly.

Intel 3770k stock, MSI Z77A-GD65, MSI GTX 760, Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600Mhz 16Gb, Corsair RM 550W, Samsung 830 256Gb, some random hdds.

I have had three and two of which have died not sure if it was me or if they were just dodgy drives from the start.

strange...how many years you had em

i have a vertex 3 like 4 years now perfect condition

If you're looking for a drive that will last you for a while then I would copy my rig and go with the Samsung 840 Pro, configuring it for maximum reliability.  :ph34r:

Not maximum, but reasonable reliability. As I sad I wil be using it for a boot up drive with all my programs and a few games (It depends, but in the worst case scenario 3 or 4 games at the same time). I am from Bulgaria and here the Plextor is not available so the choice is made :)

get the one with better value

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Not maximum, but reasonable reliability. As I sad I wil be using it for a boot up drive with all my programs and d few games (I depends but in the worst case scenario 3 or 4 at the same time). I am from Bulgaria and here the Plextor is not available so the choice is made :)

Samsung offers software that allows you to choose max speed, storage or reliability so I assumed you would choose max reliability  :P You will not be disappointed.  ^_^

The cheapest one.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

If you want the highest MTBF go with the 840 pro the MLC flash will last substantially longer then the TLC of the regular 840.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Just save your money and get the normal samsung 840--the difference in speed is negligible.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.