Do I need windows 10 to use DX12 features on games?

DannyDem

So DX12 is starting to become "mainstream" so to say and I saw somewhere that just cause 3 already used some DX12 features so here's my doubt... If I don't have windows 10, won't I be able to use these features? For example deus ex comes out (confirmed to have dx12 features in it) but I have windows 8, so I won't be able to use any dx12 features at all?

GPU:Gigabyte G1 980Ti 6GB GDDR5  CPU:Intel i7 6700K 4.0Ghz + Cooler Master 412S RAM:8GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (x2) Motherboard:Z170-A Krait Gaming HDD/SSD:1TB Western Digital & 120GB Kingston HyperX Case:NZXT S340 + 3x Corsair AF 140mm + 1x Corsair AF 120mm + 1x Corsair SP 120mm PSU:Seasonic M12II Evo 620W 80 Plus Display: Benq XL2430T 144Hz Sound: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro & JVC SZ1000 + Schiit Vali + Fiio E17

No

If your already on windows 8 may as well upgrade to 10

It's a long way off becoming mainstream. But yes, right now only W10 supports DX12, no previous versions of Windows do (or will)

Yes you need windows 10 (edit: for dx12 not dx12 features (whatever those are) aka JC3 doesn't use dx12), but I wouldn't call dx12 mainstream, as no one has games out yet

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

you can install windows 10 for free

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

In order to use DX12, you must have Windows 10 installed.

Decided to move this thread to OSes and Software.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You need to have Windows 10 installed in order to utilise DirectX 12.

You can install Windows 10 for free before the end of July this year if you are running Windows 7 or 8.1.

It's worth the upgrade, and you don't lose anything in the process.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

It's a long way off becoming mainstream. But yes, right now only W10 supports DX12, no previous versions of Windows do (or will)

Don't you need a newer gpu to run DX12 like Maxwell 2.0 for NVIDIA?

Don't you need a newer gpu to run DX12 like Maxwell 2.0 for NVIDIA?

Most DX11 GPUs support DX12 on some level. Right now, only a couple of GPUs support full DX12, but we won't see any that really take advantage until the next generation comes around. 

For DX12, yes. But you won't need Windows 10 for Vulkan, which does the same thing as DirectX12.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987