seany765

Hey guys, I've currently got this PC:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @3.2GHz Dual-Core

MOBO: ASRock H81M-HDS R2.0

GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 2GB

RAM: G.Skill Ripsaws X Series 8GB DDR3-1600

PSU: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5” 7200RPM

And it's definitely entry-level. But I want to upgrade it soon, the GPU and CPU of course, to get much better performance. This is my selection: Intel Core i5 4460 / GeForce GTX 960 Will this be a good selection? And, would I need to get a better PSU with more watts?

Also: Should I upgrade my GPU first or will it be held back by my Pentium? I'm not sure if I should upgrade CPU or GPU first.

Thanks guys! Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'd get the i5 4460 because the four cores will definitely help alot in games.

After that, I'd opt for the R9 380. The PSU should be able to handle it but I'm unfamiliar with Silverstone's quality and it may need an upgrade as well.

EDIT: The Silverstone PSU probably needs an upgrade. I've read that it's pretty meh.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

And it's definitely entry-level. But I want to upgrade it soon, the GPU and CPU of course, to get much better performance. This is my selection: Intel Core i5 4460 / GeForce GTX 960 Will this be a good selection? And, would I need to get a better PSU with more watts?

Also: Should I upgrade my GPU first or will it be held back by my Pentium? I'm not sure if I should upgrade CPU or GPU first.

I have that exact CPU and GPU combo lol. But I would upgrade PSU and yes, that combo runs games really well at 1080. Most games I play (Fallout 4, GTA V, COD) All run at 60 fps (limited by my monitor)

"Happiness is a belt fed machine gun"

I have that exact CPU and GPU combo lol. But I would upgrade PSU and yes, that combo runs games really well at 1080. Most games I play (Fallout 4, GTA V, COD) All run at 60 fps (limited by my monitor)

The PSU is fine :)

He'd be much better off getting an i5-4460 or if he can a Xeon 1231v3 then a 4GB R9 380 from Sapphire, MSI, PowerColor or XFX

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Should get a 380 over a 960, more performance, potentially better DX12/Vulkan Support

Power consumption under a gaming load is pretty much identical here

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I'd get the i5 4460 because the four cores will definitely help alot in games.

After that, I'd opt for the R9 380. The PSU should be able to handle it but I'm unfamiliar with Silverstone's quality and it may need an upgrade as well.

EDIT: The Silverstone PSU probably needs an upgrade. I've read that it's pretty meh.

Thanks, I'll go for that GPU. And which part should I upgrade first? I'm worried I might limit my GPU's power by upgrading it first, since the Pentium isn't very good.

I'll see about upgrading my PSU if I see it becomes an issue

What kind of games are you playing? and what are you using this system for?

Thanks, I'll go for that GPU. And which part should I upgrade first? I'm worried I might limit my GPU's power by upgrading it first, since the Pentium isn't very good.

You'll probably see a bottleneck if you upgrade the GPU first so I'd advise to upgrade the CPU to a i5 4460 first.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

What kind of games are you playing? and what are you using this system for?

I'm playing games like CoD Bo3, BF4, Rust, Rainbow Six Siege and want to play at least 1080p high 60fps. (I have 60Hz mon.)

It is primarily gaming, browsing web.

You'll probably see a bottleneck if you upgrade the GPU first so I'd advise to upgrade the CPU to a i5 4460 first.

Ok I'll upgrade the CPU first, thanks.

Yeah, I suggest you upgrade your cpu first. A dual core nowadays don't cut it quite well.

Ok I'll upgrade the CPU first, thanks.

Best of luck to you man, message me if you have more questions!

"Happiness is a belt fed machine gun"

Yeah, I suggest you upgrade your cpu first. A dual core nowadays don't cut it quite well.

Yeah I just looked up gameplay on R9 380 on youtube, it looks sick. This guy is using the R9 380 with an Intel Pentium G3258 (like me) do you think it's performance is being limited by the Pentium? (It has his partslist in description)

Yeah I just looked up gameplay on R9 380 on youtube, it looks sick. This guy is using the R9 380 with an Intel Pentium G3258 (like me) do you think it's performance is being limited by the Pentium? (It has his partslist in description)

The fact he is using a Pentium on a CPU-intensive game and getting 60FPS is pretty astonishing. I'd still grab a i5 4460 first, don't want to risk a bottleneck.

Spoiler

The fact he is using a Pentium on a CPU-intensive game and getting 60FPS is pretty astonishing. I'd still grab a i5 4460 first, don't want to risk a bottleneck.

Ok I'll do that, the 4460 is cheaper near me anyways so that's good :D

Thanks everyone for help!

Ok I'll do that, the 4460 is cheaper near me anyways so that's good :D

Thanks everyone for help!

You welcome! Show us your rig when it's ready!

Yeah I just looked up gameplay on R9 380 on youtube, it looks sick. This guy is using the R9 380 with an Intel Pentium G3258 (like me) do you think it's performance is being limited by the

the pentium isn't too bad actually, it's only a few games that hate dual cores, most games should be fine with it, if you can OC it that'd be even better

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?