Is Project M dead?

The Toaster

As a long time smasher and quite the PM player, it saddens me to see the game "dying."

The development team is no longer updating the game, so most people equate this to the game's end. But is it? Now there can be a concrete teir list, and no more bothering to relearn your character after an update. How do you think this will effect the community?

Which version do you think should still be played in tournaments 3.6 or All Stars?

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

Well.. Nintendo has been pushing tournaments not to play Project M anymore since the release of Smash 4. This makes me think Project M will have less prevalence in (big) tournaments. Now the big tournaments mostly have Melee and Smash 4, whereas in the past they had Melee and Project M (and before PM they had Brawl.. But you know..).

It really depends on what you consider dead. But there probably wont be any new updates that will be considered the official updates by everyone. Thus I don't see anyone finishing the Knuckles, Isaac and two more characters.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Whats Project M?

It's a mod for the Wii game "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" that makes it a lot more fast paced, less luck based and more like its predecessor "Super Smash Bros. Melee".

Recently (like two weeks ago) the site of this mod says development is seized and there is no download for it available anymore (there are some mirrors out there though). This is likely because legal actions by Nintendo (the site has a contact email on the page, which is to a lawyer)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Major streamers dropping it from tournament coverage does much also. But that too falls down to Sm4sh and Nintendos policy towards streaming their games. And modding them as seen with that speedrunner controversy.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

In the long run, maybe. In the short run, no since it got a lot of coverage of them stopping the development which got more people to hear about it.

Whats Project M?

There's OPs answer.. ;)

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Project M is alive and well, and 3.6 will be the main version from here on out.

My local scene still has a lot of support for the game, and despite it having less online visibility with regards to streams and whatnot, the game is still played and loved by a large contingent of Smashers and isn't going away any time soon.

The PM streams are now primarily found on hitbox.tv, and hopefully Nintendo doesn't bring the hammer down on those.

The bright side of all this is that now that the game will no longer be patched, a proper meta can be developed.

from the project m website

Hello friends, 

Six years ago, we started a journey born out of our shared love for competitive fighting games. Eventually, the electrifying passion that coursed through us arced out and drew in more people until our small circle of friends grew into a team, and that team grew into an international community. Project M and its community have grown larger than any of us ever anticipated, and it’s truly heartwarming to see all of the unforgettable connections and friendships that have been forged through this project. 

Unfortunately, we’re here to say that we’re at the end of that road. 

We’ve learned so much in the process of making Project M—accumulating life-changing lessons in communication, team work, professionalism, work ethic, and more—but there’s only so far we can take those skills in a volunteer project. With this in mind, we’ve made a difficult business decision: We’re ready to finish development here and move on to bigger and better ventures. 

We realize that this will come as a shock to many of our fans. Please, forgive us. Again, it’s been an excruciating call to make, but it’s been made a bit easier by our satisfaction with the previous and final release, v3.6. We’ve spent six years polishing Project M, and rather than let it drag on through another several years of dwindling development and change-fatigue in the competitive circle, we’re going to consider our work complete. 

In the mean time, we plan to be hard at work on new projects, built from the ground up. We can’t spill the beans just yet, but know that we’re looking towards a fresh start with brand new designs. Rather than splitting our focus, many of us want to dedicate ourselves to this new venture fully. In this way, we hope to maintain the level of quality and professionalism you’ve come to expect from us. 

In summary, we are ceasing development of Project M (effective immediately) and will be making no further releases as we turn our attention towards an entirely new venture. As the PMDev team will be formally disbanded, please forward all official communications regarding Project M to video game attorney and business consultant . We appreciate your support and your understanding. 

One final time, 

PMDev 

Thank you for playing!

https://projectmgame.com/

from that i think the project has bean shutdown tho it was a good mod

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

Development has ceased, but the mod is still available and is widely played - basically it's a complete game now, no more patches. It's the fate of regular games as well as mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah was shut down, shame. However Melee is still the best smash game so just play that instead :'D

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW