Is JARVIS possible with current tech?

slightlyjaded

So, I found myself rewatching some marvel films the other day, and was trying to figure a way to make the jarvis interface work....

The hologram technology doesn't work with current tech, But we do have any number of VR headsets hitting the market in various forms now and in the next year. How about instead of a hologram we use an augmented reality for projection....

As to reading gestures, kinect did some great leaps forward but wasn't developed enough to work consistently. However intel demonstrated some 3d modelling software in the last year that could with appropriate hardware be scaled up to real time applications, and a larger scanning base. with the appropriate software  it probably wouldn't even need to be as hardware intensive as it doesn't need to model the entire scanning space, merely those things that change.

So my question is how nuts is this concept? I'm aware it would take significant software investment. and at the moment it's probably more in the realm of darpa than any single company. I think the tech is there at the moment, is it practical though, and would the creative advances be worth the outlay?

Could you imagine ken done working with a virtual canvas?

EDIT: Just highlighting the fact that while the AI part might, or might not be possible, I don't feel it's commercially viable at this point in time. What I'm far more interested in is the implications of the interface. I feel that is viable at this time, and might be worthwhile.

Generally speaking, if something has already been thought of, and the technology exists, then we'd have it. :P

Hologram projection to any solid degree is pretty far off still. We have AR stuff, but in VERY early stages, and from what I've seen controlling it with IRL actions isn't top-notch just yet.

So if you crammed Siri/Amazon Alexa with an Oculus and some AR software, you could have a ghetto-rigged JARVIS - but it'd be nothing worth using for more than a novelty toy.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Nope, and isnt it even theoretically impossible an AI would have to be able to have a reaction for every single action or thing that can happen in the universe. Program it for every single skin colour of a human or race. Racists robots lol. Who would have time to write all that code.

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Nope, and isnt it even theoretically impossible an AI would have to be able to have a reaction for every single action or thing that can happen in the universe. Program it for every single skin colour of a human or race. Racists robots lol. Who would have time to write all that code.

The idea is that the AI will be able to write it's own code, becoming exponentially smarter and self-improving. This is exactly the reason people are terrified of what it could do if left unchecked.

was more interested in the interface than the actual AI part of the program.

My point is that it may not be financially viable outside the enterprise, and military market, But with current tech it "might" be possible

A lot of it is kinda possible with todays tech yes, though it would be little more than a VR interface with an advanced SIRI

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Generally speaking, if something has already been thought of, and the technology exists, then we'd have it. :P

Not really, so much tech is being used that 'we' the general population have no idea about. 

|CPU| i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz |Motherboard| Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO |RAM| Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz |GPU| EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

|HD| 256GB SSD 850 PRO |Sound| Creative Sound Blaster Z High Performance |Case| NZXT Phantom 410 |OS| Windows 10 x64

A lot of it is kinda possible with todays tech yes, though it would be little more than a VR interface with an advanced SIRI

That was actually the point of this post. I feel that with the current tech, the really cool part (to me) of the program is possible. Apple, and microsoft are really pushing the touchscreen concept ( and yes that's nice in appropriate applications) But I think with current tech we could remove the screen.

The problem i feel isn't so much the hardware that i think does exist and could do the job.... It's the software to integrate various parts and make it all work together properly.

That was actually the point of this post. I feel that with the current tech, the really cool part (to me) of the program is possible. Apple, and microsoft are really pushing the touchscreen concept ( and yes that's nice in appropriate applications) But I think with current tech we could remove the screen.

Well that stuff already exists, ie manipulating virtual objects in a 3d space, we have augmented reality glasses like hololens, and we have voice assistants

And these are all pretty much commercial projects - the prototype and research stuff is even more advanced

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the ai itself wouldve time to do that :D and the internet its connected to would deliver the data

remember GPS? once upon a time it was a military "toy" to hit the correct target with a rocket

we dont know what awesome stuff the military keeps as a secret and uses    ( invisible bond car? :P )

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

the ai itself wouldve time to do that :D and the internet its connected to would deliver the data

remember GPS? once upon a time it was a military "toy" to hit the correct target with a rocket

we dont know what awesome stuff the military keeps as a secret and uses    ( invisible bond car? :P )

yeah because having a robot listening to ISIS is a good idea.....

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

yeah because having a robot listening to ISIS is a good idea.....

I thought that was called echelon.....

The problem is that technology has gone away from being user-friendly and only brand-friendly.

Touch screens tech, GPS tech, VR tech, hololens tech, especially smart home tech - all of it is proprietary and you need to only use 1 brand ecosystem at a time; nothing works together.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

YES it is possible. Cortana could be made to be as good as Jarvis. You just have to code the extra bits so that it can respond like a human being would.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Gesture reading is already pretty good with the leap motion controller (see this for example).

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

For us to build JARVIS, we first have to develop quantum computing. The intelligence of JARVIS can't be done with current silicon imo. 

Well Jarvis is just the personality created to give life to the AI and interface...so, a virtual assistant that can manage multiple systems and give you some various stats/news is very possibly. Basically a very complex and hyped up Siri. The read out/gui that Tony sees from the helmet is basically google glass on steroids. So, if you put time and alot of funding into the development of the google glass technology then you could have the helmet. Jarvis himself would require a massive amount of programming and trust. Most of the Iron Man scanners(thermal, UV, object/distance sensing, ect) are already widely used. The "self driving" cars and security systems employ them, you would just have to set them up and create a program to manage/interpret them. As for the holographic and interactive interface that he uses to give form to Jarvis, design his toys, and uses as screens...good luck, WebGl has the closest thing to that but its a small chamber with very limited interactivity. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]