Sennheiser HD 558 tips

hug0mac

Hi all!

I love to listen to my high quality music files but I just don't feel as I get it all, I recently bought the Sennheiser HD 558, they are great! But I wonder will there be a HUGE difference if I buy a dedicated sound card (As ASUS STX II) or such for true 24bit 192khz music?

Is it worth it? 

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

@hug0mac

Why would you buy the STX II? Do you have a 7.1 surround speaker system?

What do you feel is missing from your audio system right now? What motherboard are you using? Is upgrading your headphones in the near future an option?

Less than 1% if music in the world is 24/192. No point trying to build a collection from it.

No offense but HD 558 are sorta on the low end if I wanted to improve my sound setup I would save up for new headphones, which would actually make a difference.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

@hug0mac

Why would you buy the STX II? Do you have a 7.1 surround speaker system?

What do you feel is missing from your audio system right now? What motherboard are you using? Is upgrading your headphones in the near future an option?

Less than 1% if music in the world is 24/192. No point trying to build a collection from it.

Hi,

The STX II is two versions, one without the 7.1 expansion card and one with it. I am looking on the one without 7.1. At least here...

The thing I am missing is just a good audiophile sound card that is capable of playing true 24bit/192khz audio files. And the good op amps that you can switch. The whole package of the STX II (without the 7.1 expansion)

That might be true, than 100% of my personal collection of audio is 24bit/192khz. I don't trust the on board sound on my motherboard, that is a ASUS Z97-E for the info. Also I will get better headphones in the future, that are harder to drive.

No offense but HD 558 are sorta on the low end if I wanted to improve my sound setup I would save up for new headphones, which would actually make a difference.

HD700 soon....

The STX II is two versions, one without the 7.1 expansion card and one with it. I am looking on the one without 7.1. At least here...

The thing I am missing is just a good audiophile sound card that is capable of playing true 24bit/192khz audio files. And the good op amps that you can switch. The whole package of the STX II (without the 7.1 expansion)

That might be true, than 100% of my personal collection of audio is 24bit/192khz. I don't trust the on board sound on my motherboard, that is a ASUS Z97-E for the info. Also I will get better headphones in the future, that are harder to drive.

I see. Personally if I'm going to spend that much money I'd get a desktop DAC and amplifier, which is what I did. Much nicer to have the plug and volume knob close by.

I see. Personally if I'm going to spend that much money I'd get a desktop DAC and amplifier, which is what I did. Much nicer to have the plug and volume knob close by.

That is a point as well... Wouldn't it be even better to connect the DAC and amp to the STX II? Instead of the on board (EW!) sound? That would be a analog cable between the DAC/amp and the STX II? Red and white I suppose.

Also what do you recommend for me? With the amp/dac thingie.

That is a point as well... Wouldn't it be even better to connect the DAC and amp to the STX II? Instead of the on board (EW!) sound? That would be a analog cable between the DAC/amp and the STX II? Red and white I suppose.

Also what do you recommend for me? With the amp/dac thingie.

Negative. The DAC is a digital to analog converter, which means that you would connect it via a digital data interface like USB or optical.

Negative. The DAC is a digital to analog converter, which means that you would connect it via a digital data interface like USB or optical.

Got it! Thanks.

Hi all!

I love to listen to my high quality music files but I just don't feel as I get it all, I recently bought the Sennheiser HD 558, they are great! But I wonder will there be a HUGE difference if I buy a dedicated sound card (As ASUS STX II) or such for true 24bit 192khz music?

Is it worth it? 

why not use HD audio tracks? Better sound. Plus, in the future when audio solutions are even better you will already have high quality audio files. It's like building a collection of vinyl but much easier for today's world. Easy to fine digital HD audio music files now with online stores for that specific thing.

HD 558s are very good especially for about $150. That do give a good crisp sound. Yes there are better headphones out there, HD 598 and above from Sennheiser and other headphones from other makers.

BUT, where you are lacking is the audio chip from your motherboard. That chip isn't the greatest. It's fine for most things but to get the best audio you should upgrade this first way before your headphones. You will notice a difference. I know I have.

Either you can get a good sound card. Make sure it is a good quality one. The background fuzzy/static noise will be reduced and the HD audio files (which I hope you are using if you want the best out of your music which you can get from www.hdtracks.com or other competing HD audio music stores) will be able to produce in their full range.

You can also get a dac and amp solution. Fuzzy/static noise should be reduced even more and supply great and powerful audio.

Also, make sure you are using a good 3mm jack. Don't use one connected to your speakers.

why not use HD audio tracks? Better sound. Plus, in the future when audio solutions are even better you will already have high quality audio files. It's like building a collection of vinyl but much easier for today's world. Easy to fine digital HD audio music files now with online stores for that specific thing.

HD 558s are very good especially for about $150. That do give a good crisp sound. Yes there are better headphones out there, HD 598 and above from Sennheiser and other headphones from other makers.

BUT, where you are lacking is the audio chip from your motherboard. That chip isn't the greatest. It's fine for most things but to get the best audio you should upgrade this first way before your headphones. You will notice a difference. I know I have.

Either you can get a good sound card. Make sure it is a good quality one. The background fuzzy/static noise will be reduced and the HD audio files (which I hope you are using if you want the best out of your music which you can get from www.hdtracks.com or other competing HD audio music stores) will be able to produce in their full range.

You can also get a dac and amp solution. Fuzzy/static noise should be reduced even more and supply great and powerful audio.

Also, make sure you are using a good 3mm jack. Don't use one connected to your speakers.

Hi,

I am planning on the STX II it seem very good. I will use the 6,3mm output and get away with that 3,5mm adapter. The 558 are great but the on board sound, yes, it lacks a lot. I can't describe the feeling but it feels off, feels weird when I listen to the on board sound.

I will get a sound card (That will be my first ever) that will seriously make use of my 24bit/192khz files (That I rip with dBpoweramp) to one external hard drive. The source being my albums that I bought in store, you know, good old cd's (Can't believe it's getting old, CD's...) and that is a better source than iTunes etc. Though I do understand that the sound behind the cd isn't maybe very good, as it's down sampled down to 1411kbps in the studio...

Would HDtracks be better, I been looking around there but I don't really find the stuff I want, it lacks a lot of albums I would like. But as I already built up 100's of albums...

Hi,

I am planning on the STX II it seem very good. I will use the 6,3mm output and get away with that 3,5mm adapter. The 558 are great but the on board sound, yes, it lacks a lot. I can't describe the feeling but it feels off, feels weird when I listen to the on board sound.

I will get a sound card (That will be my first ever) that will seriously make use of my 24bit/192khz files (That I rip with dBpoweramp) to one external hard drive. The source being my albums that I bought in store, you know, good old cd's (Can't believe it's getting old, CD's...) and that is a better source than iTunes etc. Though I do understand that the sound behind the cd isn't maybe very good, as it's down sampled down to 1411kbps in the studio...

Would HDtracks be better, I been looking around there but I don't really find the stuff I want, it lacks a lot of albums I would like. But as I already built up 100's of albums...

Red Book CD is fine. Most of the 24/96+ music out there is just resampled from 16/44.1 anyway.

If you paid $150 for those you got robbed.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Hi,

HDTracks is better then CD quality. So, yes it will be better. Audio waveforms are typically sampled at 44.1 kHz (CD), 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz and sometimes higher. There is also bit depth, the more bits the more sound that can be put on the file. CD's support 16bit while other media can support 24bit. HDTracks puts on their store audio that is sampled higher and has a higher bit depth then CD quality or what is known as HD audio (anything higher then cd quality). It's also why you don't get as many tracks on there because not every album is released with that high of audio quality. Also, some types of songs don't really matter if it is in HD quality because most likely if they aren't using real instruments the sound generated from a program isn't going to be in HD quality most likely. If you want to hear the most out of vocals and instruments then buy from HDTracks. If it is some fun pop song or rap song then it wont matter as much to get it in HD.

The Asus Essence STX II is a great card. You are going for the best of the best as well. You don't have to but if you are really dedicated to having some of the best sound then go for it, as long as you can afford it. There are cheaper options but that is a good option.

One this I find nice and convenient is what Creative supplies with some of their sound cards such as the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR and some others. It's called the Audio Control Module which plugs into the sound card and you place it on your desk for easy access to 3.5mm jack for headphones and mic plus a dial to adjust volume. It's just convenient.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102050

I purchased my HD 558s about a year ago. They were more expensive then. Retailed about $170 at that time. On Amazon they were going for $150 at a sale price I believe. I went to Micro Center to pick up a pair and got it priced matched. So, I actually saved money at the time.

Why don't you think they are that good? For the price they are very good. Have very clear and crisp sound compared to others at about the same price point (which I think you can get them for $100 on sale now).

I personally am not going to spend over 200 bucks on head phones. To much for me to consider. The HD 598 now are about $150 on sale. They use to be almost $200. If I was shopping now I'd get those.

What would you consider?

HDTracks is better then CD quality. So, yes it will be better.

In what way? Can you hear above 20kHz? Do you have a listening room with a 10dB noise floor so that you can truly appreciate 120dB peaks? How much of your "HD" music actually has a fraction of that dynamic range.

Why don't you think they are that good? For the price they are very good. Have very clear and crisp sound compared to others at about the same price point (which I think you can get them for $100 on sale now).

Plenty of headphones have "clear and crisp sound". It isn't a particularly useful description.

Hi,

Also looking at these two internal cards, The Creative Sound Blaster ZxR and the Asus Essence STX II are very comparable. They seem to have the same capabilities and specs for the most part.

Both the Essence and SB have swappable op-amp sockets BUT the Essence comes with extra op-amps.

The SB comes with the audio control module though

One big difference is the price.

Crative Sound Blaster ZxR: $229.99

Asus Essence STX II: $263.89

So, it depends on what you want and are looking for. $40 difference though as well.

In what way? Can you hear above 20kHz? Do you have a listening room with a 10dB noise floor so that you can truly appreciate 120dB peaks? How much of your "HD" music actually has a fraction of that dynamic range.

Plenty of headphones have "clear and crisp sound". It isn't a particularly useful description.

OMG Yes you can hear the difference just as long as you have proper equipment. People buy records. You don't think that playing higher quality audio files wont have a difference with a good audio set up? REALLY?

Never mind dude

OMG Yes you can hear the difference just as long as you have proper equipment. People buy records. You don't think that playing higher quality audio files wont have a difference with a good audio set up? REALLY?

Never mind dude

What are records?

What equipment do I need to hear a 144dB noise floor? 192kHz in da house? Pls help, I want the max quality.

What are records?

What equipment do I need to hear a 144dB noise floor? 192kHz in da house? Pls help, I want the max quality.

HD audio isn't about hearing higher and lower frequencies. It is the attempt at getting as close to the natural sound you would hear if the sound was played live in front of you. It's about capturing as much sound as you can and being able to play back that sound. That is why you buy from hdtracks. Those files are in 24 bit at 96kHz or 192kHz to capture as much sound as they can as well as being as clear as it can. To be able to play back this sound with such clarity and range though you do need higher quality hardware.

Yes, it does make a difference buying from hdtracks and using better audio hardware.

HD audio isn't about hearing higher and lower frequencies. It is the attempt at getting as close to the natural sound you would hear if the sound was played live in front of you. It's about capturing as much sound as you can and being able to play back that sound. That is why you buy from hdtracks. Those files are in 24 bit at 96kHz or 192kHz to capture as much sound as they can as well as being as clear as it can. To be able to play back this sound with such clarity and range though you do need higher quality hardware.

Yes, it does make a difference buying from hdtracks and using better audio hardware.

How is a higher sample rate and bit depth supposed to improve quality if not by increasing the bandwidth and dynamic range? 16/44.1 already captures as much of the audible spectrum as could be required or useful for music playback.

Red Book CD is fine. Most of the 24/96+ music out there is just resampled from 16/44.1 anyway.

I notice a difference on 24/96 vs 16/44 rip settings... Especially from having the CD as a source. Sure, it's upsampling only but it works. I even tried 32bit 192khz for the fun of it. There it stopped working but I believe it's because no really sound card that is for 200 bucks can even register 32 bit.

I paid 175$ for them and I was very happy. I guess it depends what you value "expensive" or not. 

Also looking at these two internal cards, The Creative Sound Blaster ZxR and the Asus Essence STX II are very comparable. They seem to have the same capabilities and specs for the most part.

Both the Essence and SB have swappable op-amp sockets BUT the Essence comes with extra op-amps.

The SB comes with the audio control module though

One big difference is the price.

Crative Sound Blaster ZxR: $229.99

Asus Essence STX II: $263.89

So, it depends on what you want and are looking for. $40 difference though as well.

I have really aimed at the STX II for a while it does not feel good to change all suddenly. I want something that works flawless and I believe having a motherboard that are from Asus and putting a sound card will not create issues so to say. The 40 bucks extra is like my insurance kinda.

How is a higher sample rate and bit depth supposed to improve quality if not by increasing the bandwidth and dynamic range? 16/44.1 already captures as much of the audible spectrum as could be required or useful for music playback.

Not to be rude but take your headphones and listen to a MP3 192kbps that you ripped 50 times over and over again (okay maybe not that but you get what I mean, 16/44 works as well) and then rip from a CD (yes a CD) with 24/96 and you will hear a difference.

You don't need a sound room to hear good quality sound. I love 24/96 with the on board audio already, so can't wait until I get a sound card and in future better headphones! :)

I notice a difference on 24/96 vs 16/44 rip settings... Especially from having the CD as a source. Sure, it's upsampling only but it works. I even tried 32bit 192khz for the fun of it. There it stopped working but I believe it's because no really sound card that is for 200 bucks can even register 32 bit.

I paid 175$ for them and I was very happy. I guess it depends what you value "expensive" or not. 

I have really aimed at the STX II for a while it does not feel good to change all suddenly. I want something that works flawless and I believe having a motherboard that are from Asus and putting a sound card will not create issues so to say. The 40 bucks extra is like my insurance kinda.

Not to be rude but take your headphones and listen to a MP3 192kbps that you ripped 50 times over and over again (okay maybe not that but you get what I mean, 16/44 works as well) and then rip from a CD (yes a CD) with 24/96 and you will hear a difference.

You don't need a sound room to hear good quality sound. I love 24/96 with the on board audio already, so can't wait until I get a sound card and in future better headphones! :)

You're gonna be really dissapointed from the impression you're giving off on how you can hear the minuet details in music, or maybe the placebo effect will carry you forward? Honestly just get the best headphones you can and put that money you were going to spend on that soundcard into better headphones. Also $175? That's more than the price of HD 598's even the special editions were $149.99 for the 598's.

You're gonna be really dissapointed from the impression you're giving off on how you can hear the minuet details in music, or maybe the placebo effect will carry you forward? Honestly just get the best headphones you can and put that money you were going to spend on that soundcard into better headphones. Also $175? That's more than the price of HD 598's even the special editions were $149.99 for the 598's.

I didn't buy them yesterday, the price goes down by time and in USA everything is so much cheaper compared to here. Both for good and bad

Have you actually tried comparing 16/44 vs 24/96 in blind tests? I doubt you could hear any difference.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Have you actually tried comparing 16/44 vs 24/96 in blind tests? I doubt you could hear any difference.

I have had the time to do that for a long time, yes. Difference, yes. Huge? Eh no. Do it matter for my ears? Yes.