WiFi + Ethernet

Cs342
Go to solution Solved by Blade of Grass,

You can only connect to one at a time, but beside that

(quoting myself)

You're trying to get as much water as possible, so you think, hmm, maybe if I add two pipes, I'll get more water!

So you go, and you add a Y-junction to the 5" water pipe you get from the city. Splitting your water into two different 5" pipes.

Then you say "wait, I need more water, I'm going to fix this!"

So you change out one of the pipes and now you have the 5" pipe going to another 5" and a 2" pipe.

Still with me?

No matter WHAT you do, you will not be getting any more water out of that 5". You're limited by whatever amount of water the city sends you. You can't pull more water than the city gives out.

Now, that's the same as what happens with your internet. Instead of water, it's data. But no matter how you divide your network (pipes), it will still only be able to receive that limited amount of data at a time (water).

If I connect my laptop to both my WiFi router and wired ethernet connection, is there a way to take advantage of both connections or will I be limited to only one? It would be pretty cool to double my internet speed :)

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I wish that were the case... lol

| 3570k @ 4.5 | swiftech h220 ordered after patent issues | EVGA 660ti SC 3gb | 8gb gskill ripjaws | Asus p8z77-v lx | Corsair Ax 750 | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair C70 white | CM quickfire rapid mx browns | G500 | 

You can only take advantage if you can manage to find a virtual router, it's usually linux based though so you would need a linux OS or be running a linux VM to take advantage 

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

You'll only get one useful connection.

You can't exceed how much bandwidth your ISP gives you.

i suggest using ethernet (better connection) and then using that free wifi card to host wifi from your computer (assuming youre on Win7)

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

I do it.. I connect to my wifi extender using ethernet (shows as cjdghouse2ghz) and use wifi adapter to connect to my main network (cjdghouse) It is faster than just one or the other..

(quoting myself)

You're trying to get as much water as possible, so you think, hmm, maybe if I add two pipes, I'll get more water!

So you go, and you add a Y-junction to the 5" water pipe you get from the city. Splitting your water into two different 5" pipes.

Then you say "wait, I need more water, I'm going to fix this!"

So you change out one of the pipes and now you have the 5" pipe going to another 5" and a 2" pipe.

Still with me?

No matter WHAT you do, you will not be getting any more water out of that 5". You're limited by whatever amount of water the city sends you. You can't pull more water than the city gives out.

Now, that's the same as what happens with your internet. Instead of water, it's data. But no matter how you divide your network (pipes), it will still only be able to receive that limited amount of data at a time (water).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

(quoting myself)

Nice explanation! Thanks!

Have you tried turning it off and on again?