Question chromecast 2015 v older model

Go to solution Solved by Murdoch,

Well, I had the old one, and bought the new one.

I can't tell the difference in any meaningful way. I use it for Vessel / YouTube / Twitch streaming.

I might notice a difference were I to stream 1080p Bluray(ish) quality content from my NAS. But I use DLNA (serviio) for that because WiFi and lack of DTS audio support makes the Chromecast a much worse option than streaming direct to my TV via Ethernet.

Simple question should I buy the 2015 chrome cast on eBay they are going for about $80. over the older one here in store $48 as Australia does not yet get the 2015 model.  

is it worth the extra $30?

I will be using it hopefully with a projector I have for an outdoor screen near my pool I'm having put in. 

Simple question should I buy the 2015 chrome cast on eBay they are going for about $80. over the older one here in store $48 as Australia does not yet get the 2015 model.  

is it worth the extra $30?

I will be using it hopefully with a projector I have for an outdoor screen near my pool I'm having put in. 

The only thing different than the 2013 model is an updated wifi solution and different shape. Just get the old one.

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

The only thing different than the 2013 model is an updated wifi solution and different shape. Just get the old one.

old one + Ethernet adapter 

i own both the old chromecast and the new chromecast. the new one has ac wireless and supports both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands. so if you got good wi-fi, streaming will be much quicker. you could also get the ethernet adapter and add it to the old chromecast but that means finding a way to run an ethernet cable. 

i own both the old chromecast and the new chromecast. the new one has ac wireless and supports both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands. so if you got good wi-fi, streaming will be much quicker. you could also get the ethernet adapter and add it to the old chromecast but that means finding a way to run an ethernet cable. 

or powerline

Its not to far from the router so i think ill just try the old one out and see. I also have a fiber connection so the wifi should be fast enough

Thanks guys

The difference is AC Wifi and Fast Play, which pre-buffers the next queued video. Not worth 30 bucks more. $80 is pretty damn steap!

Yeah i was whoa. Yankies can cash in on ebay seems like easy money to be made here

neither

much better options for watching media on the tv

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

neither

much better options for watching media on the tv

Well im after something small as it will be pluged into ceiling mounted projector

Well im after something small as it will be pluged into ceiling mounted projector

you could mount these small settop boxes to the projector with some industrial velcro..or double sided tape

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Well, I had the old one, and bought the new one.

I can't tell the difference in any meaningful way. I use it for Vessel / YouTube / Twitch streaming.

I might notice a difference were I to stream 1080p Bluray(ish) quality content from my NAS. But I use DLNA (serviio) for that because WiFi and lack of DTS audio support makes the Chromecast a much worse option than streaming direct to my TV via Ethernet.

I use the old chromecast and bought the new one , so far no difference in quality. There are some features in the new one like casting Spotify, the old chromecast needs a third party app to cast Spotify from android devices (at least for my nexus 4).

The new chromecast says in the box youtube 1080 but only casts 720, even trying forcing it with the chrome cast app.

The only good thing on the new one is the hdmi conector that doesn't require the adapter,  not worth 30 dollars.

Regards  ;)

i picked up the old one today works just as i needed for the projector :)

tlQnscQm.jpg

thank you to all those who posted 

I use the old chromecast and bought the new one , so far no difference in quality. There are some features in the new one like casting Spotify, the old chromecast needs a third party app to cast Spotify from android devices (at least for my nexus 4).

The new chromecast says in the box youtube 1080 but only casts 720, even trying forcing it with the chrome cast app.

The only good thing on the new one is the hdmi conector that doesn't require the adapter,  not worth 30 dollars.

Regards  ;)

The old one supports Spotify after a firmware update which was rolled out in a staggered sort of way. My old one just updated last week.