Help building a Gaming/Streaming PC

Far<3

Hello, a friend of mine is going to invest in a high end gaming/streaming pc and he needs some help picking out parts so i tought i should ask here for some help.

money isnt really a big issue but dont say like 3xTitans or something. Thank you!

How high end? Are you comfortable watercooling? Is it only for gaming/streaming? What resolution do you play at?

This should be in the New Builds and Planning Section.

Also, read this and edit your original post with more information please: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-reccomendations-please-read-before-posting/

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah, you really need to be more detailed with your information.

Give more details on planned usage - just gaming/streaming?

What resolution will you be playing at?

What resolution will you be rendering at?

You can't say that money isn't an issue and then say "don't say something like 3 x Titans" because then money clearly IS an issue. Give us a budget, and we can be much more helpful.

As has been posted, look at Linus' build videos and see if something is in the right price range and suits your needs.

Give us any other information that will be helpful. For example, will you be wanting any specific brands (eg. Nvidia for CUDA)? Will you be needing peripherals within the budget?

Tell us all of the above and we can see what we can do!

You will need:

motherboard:

just make sure it will work and was made this year or last year.

Processor(has to be same make as motherboard e.g. intel):

intel is probably the best and I would go with the i5 unless you plan to do editing then go with and i7.

RAM(memory):

about 8 gb min and 16 gb is what you will need most although if you are going for a super computer then get 64 gb of ram

Graphics card:

anything made in the last 2 years and I would recomend AMD becuase they are ahead of other graphic card makers.

A case and PSU(power supply unit):

I used the Zalman 12 plus which does not have a PSU.

hard drive or SSD or both:

I would recommend a 2T hard drive and an SSD to put the operating system on and choice games.

an optical drive:

this doesn't really matter what you get.

You need to tell us what case and the psu it comes with, or if their isn't one and how much he/she is willing to spend on the computer.

Motherboard:Gigabyte Z87X        Processor: Intel I7 4740k       PSU Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Memory: 16 GB DDR3

You will need:

motherboard:

intel is probably the best and I would go with the i5 unless you plan to do editing then go with and i7.

RAM(memory):

about 8 gb min and 16 gb is what you will need most although if you are going for a super computer then get 64 gb of ram

Graphics card:

anything made in the last 2 years and I would recomend AMD becuase they are ahead of other graphic card makers.

I would recommend a 2T hard drive and an SSD to put the operating system on and choice games.

an optical drive:

You need to tell us what case and the psu it comes with, or if their isn't one and how much he/she is willing to spend on the computer.

Whuuuut....? Troll or just stupid?

Whuuuut....? Troll or just stupid?

?

Motherboard:Gigabyte Z87X        Processor: Intel I7 4740k       PSU Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

You will need:

motherboard:

RAM(memory):

Graphics card:

an optical drive:

If you're buying a brand new motherboard, there's a high chance it will work, but there's no guarantee it will. It having been made in the last year could be a false statement, too as the user may decide to go with older hardware.

"Processor has to be the same make as motherboard"... No... Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Asrock, etc DO NOT make CPUs.

Your statement on the RAM was relatively sensible, however, I would advise minimum of 16GB if you're going to be running games along with streaming/rendering. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have 32GB or even 64GB if you go with X79, though that is kinda unnecessary.

Graphics card.... *Sigh*. Anything in the last two years... Yes for AMD but a no for Nvidia. You're telling a complete lie by saying that AMD currently have better components than Nvidia as the Titan and the 780 are WAY better than the 7970. It's also neck and neck with 680/770. The final thing, which may be where you're getting this from - is the 7990, but that's a dual GPU against single GPUs.

Case: Well done. You didn't say anything stupid! Well, that's probably because you didn't say much at all. One thing to note, DO NOT BUY A CASE THAT COMES WITH A PSU

PSU: You didn't say anything about one of them. Corsair, XFX, Seasonic and many more are good quality. Grab something good.

HDD/SSD: Definitely both. I cannot justify building a new computer without an SSD. If you can afford a big enough SSD, then definitely go with that, but otherwise, a smaller SSD (128GB or 256GB) and the storage you'll need, 3TB, for example could be a Seagate Barracuda or a WD Green or something.

Optical drive: "doesn't matter what you get" - Pretty much true, however, they're kind of obsolete unless you actually use one, in which case, the user should get one. Just go for a cheap Sony, 22x SATA one or something.

That's why I said what I said.

I don't mean offence, but I'd advise you check things or make sure you know what you're talking about before trying to help someone. This forum is usually really helpful, and I know you were trying to be helpful.

Completely agree with xBlizz.

Although what he probably meant by "Processor has to be the same make as motherboard" was that it either has to be Intel or AMD. Not by who actually made the motherboard although the way it was worded could be taken into wrong context. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

If you're buying a brand new motherboard, there's a high chance it will work, but there's no guarantee it will. It having been made in the last year could be a false statement, too as the user may decide to go with older hardware.

"Processor has to be the same make as motherboard"... No... Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Asrock, etc DO NOT make CPUs.

Your statement on the RAM was relatively sensible, however, I would advise minimum of 16GB if you're going to be running games along with streaming/rendering. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have 32GB or even 64GB if you go with X79, though that is kinda unnecessary.

Graphics card.... *Sigh*. Anything in the last two years... Yes for AMD but a no for Nvidia. You're telling a complete lie by saying that AMD currently have better components than Nvidia as the Titan and the 780 are WAY better than the 7970. It's also neck and neck with 680/770. The final thing, which may be where you're getting this from - is the 7990, but that's a dual GPU against single GPUs.

Case: Well done. You didn't say anything stupid! Well, that's probably because you didn't say much at all. One thing to note, DO NOT BUY A CASE THAT COMES WITH A PSU

PSU: You didn't say anything about one of them. Corsair, XFX, Seasonic and many more are good quality. Grab something good.

HDD/SSD: Definitely both. I cannot justify building a new computer without an SSD. If you can afford a big enough SSD, then definitely go with that, but otherwise, a smaller SSD (128GB or 256GB) and the storage you'll need, 3TB, for example could be a Seagate Barracuda or a WD Green or something.

Optical drive: "doesn't matter what you get" - Pretty much true, however, they're kind of obsolete unless you actually use one, in which case, the user should get one. Just go for a cheap Sony, 22x SATA one or something.

That's why I said what I said.

I don't mean offence, but I'd advise you check things or make sure you know what you're talking about before trying to help someone. This forum is usually really helpful, and I know you were trying to be helpful.

Sorry let me just clarify what I mean by some of them "Processor has to be the same make as motherboard" I meant as in terms of Intel or AMD.  and with the graphics card thing I said what I have heard is constantly for what the average person is willing to go for, so not the Titain AMD is better. But even you stated this when you said "anything in the last two years... Yes for AMD but a no for Nvidia " which does suggest that AMD is ahead of Nvidia. Anyway i'm not looking for a debate I just wanted to see if my line of thinking was massively wrong in anyway, so thanks for explaining yourself :) btw it was late at night when I posted this(around 1 am) so I may not have gone into enough detail with my post sorry  :(