Do I Need An SSD

Monti
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Ok. What about the size of it. I'm not putting any games on it

A 120-128GB ssd doesn't cost that much more than  60-64GB and will have decent storage space.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093HMKVI/?tag=pcpapi-20

I'm building a new computer and I need some place to store my os,drivers,web broser, anti virus, mircosoft word,ect. I have a external drive for other data. But could I use a small HDD instead of a ssd. Or do I get a 120 gb ssd. What ever i get it needs to last 3 plus years. I'm not a speed freak, but I like a realitvly fast PC. If  get a HDD does cache matter for the OS? Thanks for any help.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

You could just as easily use a HDD only, and for pricing that's going to suit your needs just fine. However, an SSD is much better and will load your OS and core browser that much quicker. You have a better idea of how long an SSD will last you, and most are rated for hundreds of terabytes of writes

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Definitely get an SSD! Even if you're not a speedfreak it will enhance your user experience soooo much. It's the best money you will ever spend.

I would recommend the Samsung 840 as your SSD. An SSD is not necessary for a build but it if you had it it will decrease your boot times and would load applications/games faster. Your computer would be faster if it had more cache on the HDD.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yup, why not? Faster boot and launching times. A Samsung SSD should do the job.

Quote me to get a reply!

You don't need it but it makes a world of difference and is the most noticeable improvement compared to upgrading other parts.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

CPU-- AMD FX-8320 (Stock), Motherboard-- ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0, RAM-- Team 8gb 1600Mhz, GPU-- Sapphire 7870 GHz with OC Edition, Case-- NZXT Tempest 210, PSU-- Corsair CX600m, HDD, 1tb Seagate & 2tb WD External, Monitor-- Dell S2240M IPS Display, Keyboard/Mouse-- Some Logitech keyboard and some Dell mouse, Speakers-- Logitech Z533

Something like a Crucial M4 64GB would be enough if you aren't putting any games on it because if I don't put my games on my SSD I used 28GB and I only installed the important programs on the SSD and my Program Files Folder on my HDD is around 2.5gb.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

A 120-128GB ssd doesn't cost that much more than  60-64GB and will have decent storage space.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093HMKVI/?tag=pcpapi-20

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you want something super reliable though and will last you for a couple of years I would get either a samsung or Intel SSD.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Ok I will see what fits in my budget. Thanks everyone for the help