Safe maximum temps for a reference GTX 980?

So plan to build a new gaming rig in the near future, and I need some advice on GPUs. I plan to get a 980, and where I'm buying, there are 2 options: the reference 980, and the EVGA 980. The reference card is 40$ cheaper, but I'm worried by some of the information I see. Most sais the reference card will run around 10-15 degrees (Celsius) hotter then the EVGA, or any other aftermarket open design cards. Nvidia says the max temp before thermal throttling is 80 degrees, and it is much more likely that the reference card will hit that. My question is what is the maximum temp for a safely running 980, and is it worth the extra 40$ for the EVGA model, or is there a way to cool reference cards that I don't know about?

Thanks

I don't think it will thermal throttle at 80C, maybe at 86-88C. Anyhow how are the r9 390x and r9 fury prices from where you are buying.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

max temp is 92*C and it will throttle on 90*C but above 85 should give u a lower boost speed aswell

(◑‿◐)

Looks like 390x strix edition is significantly cheaper, but after looking at some benchmarks it runs even hotter then the 980 reference under load, at around 86 degrees with fans on auto. And r9 fury is out of my price range

I don't think it will thermal throttle at 80C, maybe at 86-88C. Anyhow how are the r9 390x and r9 fury prices from where you are buying.

max temp is 92*C and it will throttle on 90*C but above 85 should give u a lower boost speed aswell

Ok good to know, but if I was gaming for a 2-3 hour period would a steady 85 degree temp be safe to play at? In terms of gpu life span and and such?

Ok good to know, but if I was gaming for a 2-3 hour period would a steady 85 degree temp be safe to play at? In terms of gpu life span and and such?

up to 92*C is safe 24/7, just keep in mind that the cooler it runs the longer the lifespan will be of the gpu ( though running it 24/7 at 92*C for example wont make it last just 1-3years usually they will last 5-10years xD )

(◑‿◐)

I wouldnt want a stock clock card anywhere near 80c, hence why I bought a Gigabyte 970!!! OCed I guess it maybe alright, they start to throttle at around 90c but GPU boost 2.0 stops boosting as high so drops the boost clock a bit when it gets to 80c

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Looks like 390x strix edition is significantly cheaper, but after looking at some benchmarks it runs even hotter then the 980 reference under load, at around 86 degrees with fans on auto. And r9 fury is out of my price range

Why are you so much worried about it reaching 86 degrees? Both AMD and Nvidia GPUs can handle up to 90 degrees temps.

Pascal laptops guide

Why are you so much worried about it reaching 86 degrees? Both AMD and Nvidia GPUs can handle up to 90 degrees temps.

Yeah I know, I just want to try and keep the temp as low as possible while under load to ensure maximum lifespan of the card. I just want to make sure that it won't be compromised for potential light overclocking and being under heavy load for longer time periods because it's constantly running to hot 

Yeah I know, I just want to try and keep the temp as low as possible while under load to ensure maximum lifespan of the card. I just want to make sure that it won't be compromised for potential light overclocking and being under heavy load for longer time periods because it's constantly running to hot 

Even at long periods, most card can and will survive around 83-87 degrees for a decent life span.

Pascal laptops guide