Windows 10 has been, or will be downloaded today for those who reserved - Don't delete C:\$windows.~BT

GoodBytes

Intel HD 3000. Im using the drivers supplied by windows update in windows 10. Also have a radeon 7470m in switchable graphics on catalyst drivers 15.7.1

Intel has a driver issue, where it's power saving feature doesn't work properly. Microsoft has already sent its engineers to help Intel.

Sadly, Intel drivers are poorly programmed, and a mess, so it might take a while.

does anybody know a fix for the something happened error in the media creation tool?

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

still waiting on the download here :( anyone else still waiting?

I am on my Surface Pro 2, and work computer.

Surface Pro 2 is in waits due to driver issue (Intel HD graphics... of course), and work computer is waiting for the wave. I could force my work computer to upgrade as it has no problem, but I am not in a hurry. I have it at home, works great, but I work I prefer a more solid experience, especially that I program, I don't want to waste a day trying to fix a bug or issue and end up being a driver bug. So I am waiting for all the companies to get their more polished drivers out in any case.

does anybody know a fix for the something happened error in the media creation tool?

My solution was:

Download Windows 10 ISO of your choice separately.  Then use the Windows USB/DVD Download tool to "burn" the ISO to the USB stick while making it bootable.  This solution keeps it all "Microsoft", if you will.

Used this solution to install and test Windows 10 on a MacBook Air in Bootcamp.  Results successful.

1- Make sure that all your drivers and UEFI/BIOS are fully updated. I do mean ALL your drivers, not just graphics card. ALL of them

2- Make sure that your current Windows is FULLY updated

3- Make sure that Device Manager is not showing any error or unidentified devices.

4- Try and unplug everything from your system that isn't essential.

5- Uninstall your A/V, anti-malware, firewall, and any other security software that you installed

6- It could a faulty download file. Menaing that the file got corrupted. This can happen if it experienced several pauses/resume on a file due to a busy Microsoft server. Delete C:\$WINDOWS._BT, and try again.

My solution was:

Download Windows 10 ISO of your choice separately.  Then use the Windows USB/DVD Download tool to "burn" the ISO to the USB stick while making it bootable.  This solution keeps it all "Microsoft", if you will.

Used this solution to install and test Windows 10 on a MacBook Air in Bootcamp.  Results successful.

does it says windows is activated because i tried that on a separate partition and it asked me for a key twice which i skipped but at the end windows wasn't activated

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1- Make sure that all your drivers and UEFI/BIOS are fully updated. I do mean ALL your drivers, not just graphics card. ALL of them

2- Make sure that your current Windows is FULLY updated

3- Make sure that Device Manager is not showing any error or unidentified devices.

4- Try and unplug everything from your system that isn't essential.

5- Uninstall your A/V, anti-malware, firewall, and any other security software that you installed

6- It could a faulty download file. Menaing that the file got corrupted. This can happen if it experienced several pauses/resume on a file due to a busy Microsoft server. Delete C:\$WINDOWS._BT, and try again.

trying this as soon as i can, thanks

does it says windows is activated because i tried that on a separate partition and it asked me for a key twice which i skipped but at the end windows wasn't activated

No, since I never purchased a license.  This is only a test to see if it is even worth it at this time to use Windows 10 on a MBA.  People are saying that the Intel drivers are not working well, but in my experience, W10 is great on a MBA so far.  And if the coming driver updates are going to only make things better, then it makes me very happy going forward.

still waiting on the download here sad.png anyone else still waiting?

Nope. Have you run the command line to force the download yet?

uXURwz1.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Nope. Have you run the command line to force the download yet?

uXURwz1.png

Nice. by force download I assume you mean the "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" procedure. Yeah done all that and still nothin :/ 

Nice. by force download I assume you mean the "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" procedure. Yeah done all that and still nothin :/ 

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001

Do you have a C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder?

If you do:

Enable all hidden files & system files

LnKsmam.png

After that, look in each folder for a file that is around 1-2GB big, and delete it. Then run the cmd again.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001

You sir, are a legend

If nothing else works you can try changing all your language and region/location settings in Control Panel to English US, that's how my brother got it to work on his laptop.  I think there's something a little screwy with the AU servers because no other method worked for us.

Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Region and Language

Change the location to United States, change keyboard and language to English (US) and go to the Administrative tab and Change System Locale to English (United States).

You may have to restart a couple of times while making these changes.  After you've done all of them and restarted run the media creation tool and hit upgrade.  If it still doesn't work, download it using IE and hit run so it ends up in your temp files.  For some reason that along with all the region changes fixes the problem.

After you've installed Windows 10 leave it be for a while and let it install updates and stuff in the background, have a fiddle with some basic visual settings and stuff while you're waiting.  Make sure your antivirus is working correctly (the update borks some of them and requires them to be updated), then go into either control panel or settings and change all the region and language stuff back to how it was.  You'll have to go hunting for them, they'll be in slightly different locations.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

If it still doesn't work, download it using IE and hit run so it ends up in your temp files.  For some reason that along with all the region changes fixes the problem.

holy shit this one worked, is now downloading :D

She looks so unhappy being there, but atleast they put the effort into tell people what's going on.

Also those teeth are the whitest I've seen since Ross on Friends. Also there are no Microsoft, or even Apple stores in Ireland. I shall forever suffer. :P

She looks like she's really struggling to keep that weird Microsoft upbeat style going.

still waiting on the download here :( anyone else still waiting?

Yeah, the main OS install (Win 7) on my main rig is still waiting. It's funny, I've been dual booting the tech preview on that machine since like October, and reserved the upgrade forever ago, but it's somehow not ready to upgrade me. I have had practically zero issues with the tech preview too, so I don't think it's holding back because of hardware that could cause issues. I guess there's just a really long queue for Win 10.

I don't really mind. I could have just forced it, but I've been fine on Win 7 for several years, I think I can handle a few more weeks.

I had Win 10 Insider on my old laptop. Now it won't even POST anymore D:

Also, no download here yet.

For the record, I fixed the issue. Reseated the RAM and it works without any problems.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

For the record, I fixed the issue. Reseated the RAM and it works without any problems.

#LinusRAMTips

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

#LinusRAMTips

"If it ain't POST-in', reseat the RAM."

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It did not download yet for me ... on both my desktop and surface pro...

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

It did not download yet for me ... on both my desktop and surface pro...

Yes, Surface Pro is not ready. Microsoft is waiting for Intel for it's HD graphics which isn't power saving.

Yes, Surface Pro is not ready. Microsoft is waiting for Intel for it's HD graphics which isn't power saving.

Surface Pro 3 has it alrdy fyi. i got it on the first day.

Surface Pro 3 has it alrdy fyi. i got it on the first day

Yeah except I have the surface pro 1 

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

Surface Pro 3 has it alrdy fyi. i got it on the first day.

Yea. But not the Pro 1 and Pro 2. I think the wireless card drivers is also an issue.