Network configuration in Windows 2000

Speedbird
Go to solution Solved by Speedbird,

Was your problem resolved? If so please select best answer or post how you fixed it encase someone else comes along and has the same issue.

Ah, yes, right, I switched to a different network adapter and that fixed it.

Hello.

So, I have this old laptop with Windows 2000 and I'm trying to connect it to the internet. I'm using a PCMCIA Ethernet card (with drivers installed) and a Cat5 ethernet cable running straight to a LAN port on the router. But I cannot access the internet. In the Network Connections panel I can see the Local Area Connection and a link speed of 100 Mbps. No sites are accessible though, and I cannot ping anything (even devices on the local network). I tried specifiying an IP address and gateway manually, but that didn't help. Also tried ipconfig /renew, didn't work either (the DHCP server could not be reached).

Yes, I know that Windows 2000 is old. No, I will not switch OSs. Don't ask why, please.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Try making sure it's not a DNS problem, by going to a site directly via its IP.

This is for example Google's IP: 216.58.209.110

And after that try getting to your router's UI (by typing its IP in the address bar).

Or go to another PC (which I assume you have available right now) and access your router's UI and see if that Windows 2000 PC is detected at all.  

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Try making sure it's not a DNS problem, by going to a site directly via its IP.

This is for example Google's IP: 216.58.209.110

And after that try getting to your router's UI (by typing its IP in the address bar).

Or go to another PC (which I assume you have available right now) and access your router's UI and see if that Windows 2000 PC is detected at all.  

With DHCP enabled, I cannot see it in the router's UI. I will have to test again with a static IP.

EDIT: Same thing with a static IP.

With DHCP enabled, I cannot see it in the router's UI. I will have to test again with a static IP.

Are you able to ping 127.0.0.1? If not then you have an issue with our TCP/IP stack.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Are you able to ping 127.0.0.1? If not then you have an issue with our TCP/IP stack.

That worked.

And can you ping your router's IP from your Windows 2000 PC?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

can you run past me quickly your network topology? What type of internal IP structure do you use?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

And can you ping your router's IP from your Windows 2000 PC?

Nope. Request timeout.

can you run past me quickly your network topology? What type of internal IP structure do you use?

What do you mean? My router is also acting as a DHCP and DNS server, and the IPs are on the 192.168.1.x block, the router itself is 192.168.1.254.

ok so give this a shot, assign statics and see how that goes:

IP Address - 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.254

DNS - 192.168.0.254

ok so give this a shot, assign statics and see how that goes:

IP Address - 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.254

DNS - 192.168.0.254

Umm, don't you mean 192.168.1.254 for the gateway and DNS?

Umm, don't you mean 192.168.1.254 for the gateway and DNS?

Whoops you are correct, and do the same for the DNS :P

Whoops you are correct, and do the same for the DNS :P

That did not change anything. I can ping 127.0.0.1, but not my router (192.168.1.254). The requests still time out. Maybe I should install some updates first.

I'm guessing here but i think your using a crossover cable.

Either that or your CAT5 is dead.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'm guessing here but i think your using a crossover cable.

Either that or your CAT5 is dead.

I have used that cable before in the exact same configuration and it has worked.

I have used that cable before in the exact same configuration and it has worked.

Just a thought but your old age PCMCIA NIC might not support Auto Negotiation. Newer NICs will detect its a crossover cable and configure itself to work, older NICs can't.

Pull the cable out both ends and put the 2 ends next to each other then check both RJ45s are wired up in the same way. Each wire is a different colour and they're wired up in a specific pattern, if both ends match its straight through, if not then its crossover.

63Ry5.png

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just a thought but your old age PCMCIA NIC might not support Auto Negotiation. Newer NICs will detect its a crossover cable and configure itself to work, older NICs can't.

Pull the cable out both ends and put the 2 ends next to each other then check both RJ45s are wired up in the same way. Each wire is a different colour and they're wired up in a specific pattern, if both ends match its straight through, if not then its crossover.

63Ry5.png

The cable is most definitely a patch cable, and even if it wasn't the NIC supports auto-negotiation (checked the user manual). And I will say it again: I have used this computer with the same router with the same cable with the same NIC before and it has worked. The only difference was that I was using XP before. This is probably a driver issue or just me forgetting to set something up in Windows 2000.

Try plugging direct into your modem and see if it works just fine. If it does then its an issue with your router giving your laptop access if it doesn't then it's a OS issue.

Try plugging direct into your modem and see if it works just fine. If it does then its an issue with your router giving your laptop access if it doesn't then it's a OS issue.

Plugging it in to the modem didn't help. So it's an OS issue for sure.

Try using this IP Config..

IP Address: 192.168.1.220

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.254

DNS: 8.8.8.8

That's the same IP Config I use when I can't get devices to connect or troubleshoot :)

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

Was your problem resolved? If so please select best answer or post how you fixed it encase someone else comes along and has the same issue. 

Ah, yes, right, I switched to a different network adapter and that fixed it.