Project Alternate 4K Build "COMPLETE"

Deblow

Holy fuck this is the best looking Desk PC I've seen. I want to copy it. lol. making a few changes here and there to suit my personal tastes of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy fuck this is the best looking Desk PC I've seen. I want to copy it. lol. making a few changes here and there to suit my personal tastes of course.

lol Thanks, good luck with it, make sure to post some photos ;)

Been a bit busy over the past month, but im back now :)

I recently got the 2 finaly items for the build from Cooler Master, a CM Storm Xornet 2 gaming mouse & Swift RX mat.

Cheap mouse! £20 or less...

Couple of photos for you to have a look at & iv also uploaded a quick hands on video.

also over the past week my new screen has arrived, I liked the 40" 4K screen so much that iv now gone for a 43" 4K.

I cant go any bigger than this, as it will cause some neck problems in the long term lol

Its a better fit for the desk also, as it now spans the total length of the centre top shelf.

More photos on that & other bits later.

DSC_1120_zpsbhs1nhdt.jpg

DSC_1123_zpsfpivxlqb.jpg

DSC_1125_zpsjqm2c4nc.jpg

DSC_1138_zpswxaurx32.jpg

DSC_1139_zpsa5rqggnm.jpg

DSC_1180_zpsnti2mpn8.jpg

DSC_1181_zpsctjofnag.jpg

DSC_1153_zpso7vijxnw.jpg

mouse vid.

20151106_174238_zpsih0kfekm.jpg

@Deblow 

I love it but do you think it was worth all the work and the investment?

that's a good point, had I not been off work then this build wouldn't have happened, or my last one come to think of it.

its fun to build something from scratch & see your ideas come to life, its also nice to have something that's not common. 

this investment was mostly spent on tools & my time, had I just done a normal case build the cost would have only been a couple of hundred quid less

but the amount of time spent would have be greatly reduced ofc. 

What brand monitor do you use, or is it just a tv?

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

What brand monitor do you use, or is it just a tv?

its a bit of both, the panel is a LG ips from the LG TVs but its rebuilt by crossover as a monitor. crossover 434k

so you have a remote for the monitor, but also have a vesa mount, USB, Display port, & other things you would normally have on a standard monitor 

• 3 weeks later...
I started to make a video for YouTube & realized I still needed to sort my wires out as the KB & Mouse wires was hanging over the front of the desk.

Had a couple of options, go to the sides, back or front

going to the sides would mean the mouse & KB would need to be disconnected every time I 

lift the glass & you could also still see the wires.

Same story for the back they would be seen still.

Going with the front meant I had to make a hole in the desk :(

But this idea was best, wires cant been seen & the KB & mouse can stay on the desk as the glass lifts

high enough to get inside to most the components & clean if needed.

The KB will still need to be taken of the desk if I lift the glass all the way back though.

DSC_1391_zpsppqtwlvb.jpg

Looks cleaner now, just need to touch up with some black paint.

DSC_1390_zpszihe2knx.jpg

DSC_1389_zpsivfezjpd.jpg

After completing this build iv gone though 4 screens, at the start I still had my 1440p IPS screen but with 
the new desk I wanted to use some more of that GPU power & go with 3 screens or 1 4K screen.

As the bigger 4K screens offer more desktop space & higher resolution I decided to go with that.

The 1st screen was a BenQ BL3201PT 4K 32"

20150924_115138_zps7aeywd69.jpg

very nice build quality, but with other screen on the market with the same specs & 10" bigger I decided to try the next step up
AMH A409U 4K 40"

DSC_0462a_zpsrobccnk4.jpg

Its also shown in the main photos uploaded last month so I wont post them again.
The screen was great, build quality & menu not as good as the BenQ though, but as its the screen Im most bothered about this monitor was better in my eyes
& 8" bigger.

Was having some problems with the remote on the AMH, so the seller offered me a Crossover 434 4K 43" instead, cant complain with that :D
Loving the new screen, best of the 3 4K screens iv had so far.

DSC_1430_zpsceijigfg.jpg

DSC_1424_zpsv3ecrgag.jpg

20151106_124454_zpsa5foty22.jpg

As I was swapping screens I took a couple of shots without the screen on the desk...

DSC_1223_zpshpjq8zwk.jpg

DSC_1220_zpsknur9wmb.jpg

DSC_1203_zpsdyzqr82b.jpg

DSC_1200_zpspswt3xvj.jpg

You can now vote for this & other great builds to be featured on the live case here > http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/496604-featured-build-logs-004-voting-thread/

Can I have the Benq 32" if you don't want it?  ^_^

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

M8 i have a great offer for you! my GTX 550ti MSI for that desk. i know im offering more but i guess i can use your setup for a while untill i need to sell it for another 550ti. So Yes or Yes?

Selling a MSI GTX 550ti in stockholm sweden or looking for free pc parts in Stockholm sweden

Can I have the Benq 32" if you don't want it?  ^_^

Already gone mate, to pay for the new one :(

M8 i have a great offer for you! my GTX 550ti MSI for that desk. i know im offering more but i guess i can use your setup for a while untill i need to sell it for another 550ti. So Yes or Yes?

Thanks for the offer, im good for now mate.

Been sorting though my videos & decided to not use this clip in the final video im working on, so sharing it now to show how the desk top lifts & the way the wires are running.

I did have motor sound but unfortunately I also had some random music in the background that go my vid copyright flagged :(

so you have to make do with some YouTube tunes lol

Sorry.

Been sorting though my videos & decided to not use this clip in the final video im working on, so sharing it now to show how the desk top lifts & the way the wires are running.

I did have motor sound but unfortunately I also had some random music in the background that go my vid copyright flagged :(
so you have to make do with some YouTube tunes lol
Sorry.

What can i say. An epic build. But why did you went with 295's? With this much horsepower you could easily rock an nvidia something, physX and shit.

I also want to know some final temperatures and clock speeds.

Damn..looks pretty amazing. Post some temps and clock speeds plz.

What can i say. An epic build. But why did you went with 295's? With this much horsepower you could easily rock an nvidia something, physX and shit.

I also want to know some final temperatures and clock speeds.

Damn..looks pretty amazing. Post some temps and clock speeds plz.

Thats the next plan, wanted to make sure everything was stable & how im going to use it day to day so I can be as accurate as possible.

will try get them up soon.

I went with the R9-295x2, as back in January when I got the card its was by far the best GPU for 4K under £500, & still is a fantastic card for the cost.

I have no problems with temps or any of the games I play, the odd game now and then has problems with crossfire, namely Batman & Fallout, but they still run on single

setting @4K.

Another good reason to have the R9-295 is the fact it runs on just 1 16X slot, that means the CPU & MB have no problem with the crossfire setup as they would if I had used 2 slots.

This is not meant to be a super over kill setup or super expensive, its built within a reasonable budget to perform at its maximum potential @4k with no problems.

Until games demand more power I will stick with this card, I always said I would upgrade in time for GTA5 so I could run it at 4K ULTRA, Mission accomplished :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Deblow - I probably arrived a little late to this party, but O-M-G. This is the most well-executed desk build I have EVER seen! This is my personal winner of "Featured Build Logs #004" - if you don't win the contest, you should know you did the most awesome build on this forum. It is not a "boring" homemade desk that is flat, it has shapes on the sides which is what wins it for me, superb creativity and effort!

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

@Deblow - I probably arrived a little late to this party, but O-M-G. This is the most well-executed desk build I have EVER seen! This is my personal winner of "Featured Build Logs #004" - if you don't win the contest, you should know you did the most awesome build on this forum. It is not a "boring" homemade desk that is flat, it has shapes on the sides which is what wins it for me, superb creativity and effort!

Thank you! your comment is very much appreciated and thanks for the vote :D

I have to go in hospital at 6am for an operation, hope I dont miss the Featured Build Log .

So might not be around for a week or so :(

• 1 month later...

Quick update,

I have a GIVEAWAY live now on reddit, you only have to drop a comment on the post to get yourself entered..
ends in 3 days time - https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3ohqwx/my_4k_gaming_pc_custom_built_in_desk/

Here are the items -
DSC_1694_zpsi6qu04s4.jpg

1X Cooler Master V750 Fully Modular PSU
1X Cooler Master Nepton 120 XL
3X Cooler Master Silencio FP-120PWM fans
5X Cooler Master Jetflo 120 Fans (red LED)
1x Cooler Master ic essential E1 thermal compound

I need to say thanks to Chris @ CoolerMasterUK, when I asked if it was ok to giveaway some fans I didn't need 
he said "Sure but lets add some extra bits to the giveaway to help someone get there build of the ground" ... also agreed to post them for me too :D
And thanks to the reddit admin that are helping with the post.

Iv also completed the final video for the desk build, should give you all a better idea of the overall look and so on..
give it a look when you have a spare 8mins or so. took me ages to get this last vid done lol
hope you enjoy!

Over and out....

at reddit? sadly it's geoblocked here..:/ 

idk, maybe i'll find some nice web proxies... good luck to everybody xD

• 5 months later...