HTC One Mini 2 will not receive Lollipop update

A tweet from HTC in response to a question about the HTC One mini 2 reveals that the handset will not be receiving an update to Android 5.0. The phone, which was launched exactly a year-ago yesterday, carries 1GB of RAM and features the Snapdragon 400 chipset inside. The One mini 2 was supposed to be a compact version of the HTC One (M8) and offered a 4.5-inch Super LCD 2 screen with a resolution of 720 x 1280.

According to the message that was sent from HTC's Twitter account, "We determined that Lollipop on the One mini 2 will not provide an optimal experience; it isn't scheduled to receive the update." HTC's Mo Versi tweeted back in March that only the Google Play edition of the HTC One (M7) would be receiving an update to Android 5.1. HTC had guaranteed that the model would receive updates for two years from its launch date, but that time period had expired. A subsequent text from Versi hinted that HTC brass was reexamining the situation.

Back in the summer of 2011, HTC originally said that it would not update the HTC Desire to Gingerbread (Android 2.3) due to the lack of storage space on the handset. The manufacturer had originally said that the model would be receiving the update. A few days later, a tweet from HTC tersely announced that it had changed its mind once more and the HTC Desire was once again scheduled to receive Android 2.3.

Considering HTC's history of flip-flopping in similar situations, HTC One mini 2 owners should probably wait a week to see if the company changes its mind.

Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/No-Lollipop-for-you-HTC-One-mini-2-will-not-be-updated_id68913

Well.... Luckily I own a normal m8 but this sucks for mini 2 owners.

I also remember them not giving an update to the HTC One S, back in 2012 I think. Or was it 13?

Not gonna blame them Google did terrible with RAM optimisation in 5.0

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Why can't they release it and let the user decide if it's optimal. And I also thought that every version of Android "increases performance."

This is why I buy Nexus devices. None of this one update and done bullshit.

Also, Lollipop 5.1 is a lot better than 5.0 when it comes to ram usage and optimization, so no excuses HTC!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

This is why I buy Nexus devices. None of this one update and done bullshit.

Also, Lollipop 5.1 is a lot better than 5.0 when it comes to ram usage and optimization, so no excuses HTC!

yup 5.1 is running good on my nexus 5, I got a feeling its a clash to do with bloatware and ram.

hence nexus is fine

Its all about those volumetric clouds

yup 5.1 is running good on my nexus 5, I got a feeling its a clash to do with bloatware and ram.

hence nexus is fine

I understand that people are having problems with Lollipop in general. The S6 is suffering a ram management bug as well but that is on their software end not 5.1's problem.

Lollipop has a little ways to go but is very stable on my Nexus 6!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

And that, is why you don't buy mini flagships.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

What bothers me is that every flagship phone keeps getting bigger. Imo any smartphone 5" or bigger is too difficult to use one handed which is how I use my phone 95% of the time, so I simply don't buy them anymore. Even my HTC One M7 is slightly too big in my opinion and HTC One Mini 2 would be just the right size for me

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/No-Lollipop-for-you-HTC-One-mini-2-will-not-be-updated_id68913

Well.... Luckily I own a normal m8 but this sucks for mini 2 owners.

I also remember them not giving an update to the HTC One S, back in 2012 I think. Or was it 13?

One S was my last HTC Phone which was awsome for that time it ende up with Android 4.1 which wasn't satisfactory for me, I rooted the phone and it became even better but I ended up destroying the phone. 

Now I'm stuck with Samsung and couldn't be happier.

Case: CoolerMaster CM 690 II (ver.2) *** PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 700W *** CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 3 Ghz 12 Mb L2 Cache *** MoBo: Asus Striker Formula II *** GPU: ASUS ENGTX570 DirectCU II *** RAM: 4x Corsair Dominator 1GB DDR2 RAM 1066MHz PC2-8500 240-Pin DIMM CMX21024-8500C5D *** HDDs: Corsair Force Gt 240Gb SSD & Western Digital 2TB Green SATA II HDD *** Creative SOUND BLASTER Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCIe *** Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Black *** Keyboard: Roccat Arvo *** LCD: LG M2380D

What bothers me is that every flagship phone keeps getting bigger. Imo any smartphone 5" or bigger is too difficult to use one handed which is how I use my phone 95% of the time, so I simply don't buy them anymore. Even my HTC One M7 is slightly too big in my opinion and HTC One Mini 2 would be just the right size for me

Get an iPhone.

Get an iPhone.

Tried it for a while but iOS just doesn't work for me. Size is perfect though :)

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Tried it for a while but iOS just doesn't work for me. Size is perfect though :)

Those Xperia compact phones? :P

my mother isn't fussed. she wouldn't even know anyway :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

The Xperia Z compact seems kinda nice. Especially considering the original Z got its lick of Lollipop.

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

lollipop is trash anyway, kitkat will be just as good, this coming from a nexus 5 user.

lollipop is trash anyway, kitkat will be just as good, this coming from a nexus 5 user.

Works fine for me, I like it more than kitkat.

Why can't they release it and let the user decide if it's optimal.

Because users will download it without reading the release notes, find that it doesn't perform well and complain at HTC and possibly hurt their business. It's better for them not to, because a majority of users don't even know what Android Lollipop is or care. The users who want Lollipop will find a way to get it (like myself, I've got a One M8 with stock Lollipop on it because in my mind, manufacturer skins blow.)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Works fine for me, I like it more than kitkat.

well after 6 months after the release they finally fixed lolipop, i really dislike the design tho, so dull.

well after 6 months after the release they finally fixed lolipop, i really dislike the design tho, so dull.

Really? I like it, simple etc:P

Really? I like it, simple etc:P

simplicity is overrated, and the lolipop colours are cancer to my eyes. 

simplicity is overrated, and the lolipop colours are cancer to my eyes. 

Opinions, opinions.

Opinions, opinions.

exactly, kitkat is still more stable on the nexus 5 than than lollipop.

exactly, kitkat is still more stable on the nexus 5 than than lollipop.

well, not for me. My 5.1 Nexus 5 is more stable and less bugged than 4.4.4 . but everybody's different eh?

well, not for me. My 5.1 Nexus 5 is more stable and less bugged than 4.4.4 . but everybody's different eh?

Technically no. He said the os is less stable so it isn't the apps. Perhaps his phone is constantly crashing, which may be a problem for everyone if he is using the same configuration as everyone.

Technically no. He said the os is less stable so it isn't the apps. Perhaps his phone is constantly crashing, which may be a problem for everyone if he is using the same configuration as everyone.

i see, well for me, i very rarely see any crashes or hangs.