Sony Announces the Xperia Z4

tsk

xperiacover_678x452.png

Today Sony Mobile officially announced the Xperia Z4 on their Japanese website. The Xperia Z4 will be the company's flagship smartphone for 2015, sitting alongside Sony's flagship tablet which is called the Xperia Z4 Tablet. Based on the specifications provided by Sony, it certainly looks like they've done everything possible to make it fit that role with regards to its hardware.

2015_04_20_20_47_34.png

So pretty much what everyone already expected, here's hoping Z4 compact will soon follow.

It differs from the Z3 physically in that it's thinner and lighter(6.9mm vs 7.3mm and 144g vs 152g), gone is also the micro-usb flap with the port having been moved to the bottom and made waterproof.

Source

Announced in Asia*

No details for us Americans who want one :(

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

xperia z4 compact here i come

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

And I've only got my Z3 in the last month as well... Not that bothered really, the only change is internal storage and the chip used, and even then the snapdragon 801 is still a damn strong unit.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I mean sure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

However I do have the feeling that Sony is taking it a little too far. To really have a competitive flagship phone, there needs to be more than just internal changes. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful phone and it sits well in the hand, but it just seems that Sony is taking the "easy way", even more so than HTC and Apple.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

xperia z4 compact here i come

No Compact has been confirmed, not even for the Asian market.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

No Compact has been confirmed, not even for the Asian market.

i will wait patiently

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

mfw I just received Xperia Z1 under a month ago...

Meh, not really bothered by it. The battery life is not quite long enough for my liking (well... My Xperia Z1 was 1,5 years old already at the time of purchase, so...), but other than that it's fast enough and doesn't freeze often like the Galaxy S2 I used before this. I just wish the battery could be changed, then everything would be great.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I feel like sony needs to do some more work on their z lineup. Like generation after generation, same design better specs. I think that they need to change up some things up, spice it up a bit. Because it's basically the same ol' design every go around. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

sorry but it looks just like a z3 and there meh......

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

I'm glad is almost the same as the Z3.  No reason to change my Z2 yet. :P

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Anyone know if the camera is any better? OIS? Larger Sensor? ( I know the Z3 does not have a bad camera, I just really like to see cameras improve.)

I feel like sony needs to do some more work on their z lineup. Like generation after generation, same design better specs. I think that they need to change up some things up, spice it up a bit. Because it's basically the same ol' design every go around. 

This is definitely a problem with smartphone industry as a whole and not exclusive to Sony. But considering the poor performance of Sony's mobile division, I highly doubt they're going back to the drawing boards on any of their Xperia line of products anytime soon. 

And I've only got my Z3 in the last month as well... Not that bothered really, the only change is internal storage and the chip used, and even then the snapdragon 801 is still a damn strong unit.

Haha I too just got mine in the last month...I'm glad sony's one of the few companies to make a flagship phone and only change it slightly rather than a complete change :)

It probably makes it easier to port new android versions over to similar devices, so I wouldn't be surprised if we continued to get the latest android version; wouldn't even mind if it took a few months to come out, like this lollipop update :P ....and now it's ungodly battery life with a screen on time of like 8.5 hours :D

If it looks great and performs great then why change it? xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

People are reporting that the magnetic charge is gone, and that the phone only has one flap covering the sim and SD card, the micro-usb is now on the bottom and waterproof.
Looking for sources to confirm this.

Since I own a Z3 I can say, I will not be upgrading. The Z3 has everything I need and is still a very capable device. The only benefit i can see from the Z4 being announced.released is the Z3 and heck, the Z2, which is still a very capable phone, prices will drop massively. 

I'm welcome for people to prove me wrong, just don't be an arse about it, but I feel smartphones have hit a particular limit in the features available. Sure bigger batteries and faster devices are nice, but ignoring them, most smart phones offer the same functionality in one form or another. I feel they just don't offer that much benefit to warrant people to upgrade every year or two.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

People are reporting that the magnetic charge is gone, and that the phone only has one flap covering the sim and SD card, the micro-usb is now on the bottom and waterproof.

Looking for sources to confirm this.

Sony is confirming the flap-less USB on bottom on their announcement page here.

I never had a Sony smartphone, is their flavor on top of android pretty good; do you use their stuff? Or is it really just in the way. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I never had a Sony smartphone, is their flavor on top of android pretty good; do you use their stuff? Or is it really just in the way. 

Using the Nexus 5 as my daily driver I will say stock android is always best. The Sony skin annoys me on the Z3 compact, I'd put it in the same league as touchwiz. 

Using the Nexus 5 as my daily driver I will say stock android is always best. The Sony skin annoys me on the Z3 compact, I'd put it in the same league as touchwiz. 

Ah ok, I'm using the Nexus 5 as well. Love it to death. I was always wondering what Sony's was like. I've only ever used LG as another. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

This is the last of the 6-month cycle phones correct? I remember hearing Sony say they would switch to a 12-month refresh cycle. Would be best for both the company and consumers imo. 

Apparently most of the world will get a different Z series flagship, and this one is only releasing in Japan. Which makes sense otherwise they would have had a more global launch.
Personally I'm pretty excited to see what they do with their next true flagship. Sony's products in the mobile space have been really solid, it's a shame they haven't taken off more.

I'm hoping for a full metal body, ditch the glass on the back, and OIS for the camera. Other than that not much needs to change.

It does disappoint me to see them giving up battery capacity in the name of thinness. Bad move, Sony.

Announced in Asia*

No details for us Americans who want one :(

This is definitely a problem with smartphone industry as a whole and not exclusive to Sony. But considering the poor performance of Sony's mobile division, I highly doubt they're going back to the drawing boards on any of their Xperia line of products anytime soon. 

Different flagship is supposed to come out later on. This is more of a Japan only device.

Since I own a Z3 I can say, I will not be upgrading. The Z3 has everything I need and is still a very capable device. The only benefit i can see from the Z4 being announced.released is the Z3 and heck, the Z2, which is still a very capable phone, prices will drop massively. 

I'm welcome for people to prove me wrong, just don't be an arse about it, but I feel smartphones have hit a particular limit in the features available. Sure bigger batteries and faster devices are nice, but ignoring them, most smart phones offer the same functionality in one form or another. I feel they just don't offer that much benefit to warrant people to upgrade every year or two.

You're not wrong, but honestly, what do you really want out of your phone? There's only so many things it can do, and it can do an awful lot currently.

In fact they've replaced PC's for many, many people.

Thinner, lighter, etc while maintaining the same performance are pretty amazing feats.

I upgrade my phone once a year. Do I have to? No. But let's face it, this is a tech forum and most of us like the newest things.

I upgrade because that extra battery life, even if it's an hour or two on screen time is huge to me. I use my phones for work a lot, and it helps to have every little speed and battery advantage. If apps perform better on newer hardware (certain ones) then I'm all for spending some more cash. I still want someone to make a proper, balls out Dual SIM, Dual Active phone.

I know tons of people that don't upgrade for years. In fact, people that upgrade every year or two are really quite rare.

I feel a lot of people on this forum are younger and don't truly appreciate the advances like that for what they are.

Really? It's not nearly as bad as TouchWiz. At all.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You're not wrong, but honestly, what do you really want out of your phone? There's only so many things it can do, and it can do an awful lot currently.

In fact they've replaced PC's for many, many people.

Thinner, lighter, etc while maintaining the same performance are pretty amazing feats.

I upgrade my phone once a year. Do I have to? No. But let's face it, this is a tech forum and most of us like the newest things.

I upgrade because that extra battery life, even if it's an hour or two on screen time is huge to me. I use my phones for work a lot, and it helps to have every little speed and battery advantage. If apps perform better on newer hardware (certain ones) then I'm all for spending some more cash. I still want someone to make a proper, balls out Dual SIM, Dual Active phone.

I know tons of people that don't upgrade for years. In fact, people that upgrade every year or two are really quite rare.

I feel a lot of people on this forum are younger and don't truly appreciate the advances like that for what they are.

I agree, most people on this forum want the best since it is a tech forum and while you made some excellent points, so that would "justify" an upgrade to them, but to me, my phone already does what i want at the moment. compared to the Z4 there are not many changes that warrant an upgrade to users from a Z2 or a Z3. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)