Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1 Pre Gaming Performance

ShadyHost

I remember Windows 8 having similar compatibility issues and minor performance glitches here and there months before its official release. I think they're just trying to showcase and preview the new features and key optimizations such as boot times. I'm not sure overall system performance is a big focus here.

Nevertheless, thanks for your in-depth analysis!

I remember Windows 8 having similar compatibility issues and minor performance glitches here and there months before its official release. I think they're just trying to showcase and preview the new features and key optimizations such as boot times. I'm not sure overall system performance is a big focus here.

Nevertheless, thanks for your in-depth analysis!

You are welcome. I will probably start a new thread when the full version comes out to see if the overall performance is increased. 

I actually used the wrong driver in my tests which invalidated the results. 

This test was done poorly. I should say test some more games. Only Tomb Raider is not enough. Test some Crysis 3, metro:Last Light, Bioshock, Battlefield 3, ETC ETC. And also install the latest drivers

Wow. What a troll post. just because some game have the same performance as in Windows 7, it's now automatically this impossible to use OS?

You didn't even pass a day with Windows 8. What a joke you are. I have read horrible anti-Microsoft reviews before... but this one is exceptionally bad in every way. Not a single explanation on why something sucks.

Bash for bashing.

Go home troll.

Wow. What a troll post. just because some game have the same performance as in Windows 7, it's now automatically this impossible to use OS?

You didn't even pass a day with Windows 8. What a joke you are. I have read horrible anti-Microsoft reviews before... but this one is exceptionally bad in every way. Not a single explanation on why something sucks.

Bash for bashing.

Go home troll.

I used Windows 8 on my main rig for the better part of the year. I can say that they took out most of the functionality and ease of use that is in Windows 7, and personally I think it was a waste of $50. 

So Mr. Troll, please read the rest of the thread before making heated posts like this one. We have already established that testing 2 games isn't enough to judge an operating system. 

I used Windows 8 on my main rig for the better part of the year. I can say that they took out most of the functionality and ease of use that is in Windows 7, and personally I think it was a waste of $50. 

So Mr. Troll, please read the rest of the thread before making heated posts like this one. We have already established that testing 2 games isn't enough to judge an operating system. 

I don't believe you, as what you mentioned are incorrect.

windows 8 is actually really nice...i never spend two seconds in the metro ui and the start menu is fine to navigate with a mouse.....my favouraite feature is hybrid boot.....

-Anubikai

| i5-4670k at stock until I do a custom WC loop | H80i | Asus Matrix Platinum 7970 at stock until I do a custom WC loop  | MSI Z87 GD65 | 1TB CAVIAR BLACK | 250gb Blue Scorpio | HX750 80 PLUS GOLD modular | 16GB INTEL EXTREME EDITION PATRIOT 1866MHZ | Coolermaster Storm Enforcer with two Red 20cm fans intake and exhaust |

i think windows 7 is way better than 8 (it is a personal thing dont reply to me saying you are living in the past)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

i think windows 7 is way better than 8 (it is a personal thing dont reply to me saying you are living in the past)

I don't mind such comments. It's subjective, and it works.

I also have my set of dislikes with Windows 8 (I have to wait for the final release with 8.1 to express judgement, as it is in Beta, and you usually have debug stuff staying in there, including Microsoft collecting telemetry data). But when I express them, I state the issue clearly, for each of them, why it doesn't work, and suggest possible fix. This allows for a conversation to built up. Also, it allows someone to come and suggest a fix, or mention something that I didn't knew about. It makes a rather nice conversation, and builds proper feedback on a product. We don't need: "IT's SUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKSSS! IT SUUUUUUCCCCKKSSS the background has changed, it SUUUUUUUCCCCKSS!!!!" in the front of people faces... the Internet is filled with those. It's annoying, unhelpful, doesn't help building a conversation, nothing is constructive about it, and then you wonder why Microsoft doesn't care about user feedback.

It is clear that the Start Screen, is up to a difficult challenge. It need to surpass the Start Menu, something that has been worked on, and polished since Windows 95. And it needs to make a UI, completely innovative, never done before, and well balance it for all type of devices. You can see this with Windows 8, where Microsoft set a nice set of improvement for the keyboard and mouse usage, and also Microsoft is working with OEMs and touchpad manufactures, to improve touchpad navigation with the OS. You can, and should, further improvement with Windows 8.2, 8.3, and so on. You might be wondering, why do this now? Well, it's a bit obvious. Companies and schools follows a 6 year life cycle in upgrading their systems OS. Companies are still in the transition phase to Windows 7. Windows 8 is the perfect version of Windows, to introduce such drastic change. It allows users to know it to some extent, and work on it thanks to telemetry data and constructive feedback, to make it better. And hope to have something well balance and enjoyed by all with Windows 9. Which is where, as buisnesses will upgrade to it, will show to sale well.

Right-now, it's mater of knowing how to use the Start Screen, which many don't.

Here is an old screen shot of my desktop computer Start Screen with Windows 8.

dss.png

It follows Microsoft guidelines found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

While an old pictures (I have a lot more games installed now, and upgraded programs, and a few more folder pinned), but the idea is there.

Basically, the most used stuff is at the bottom left corner of the screen. I have pinned my most used folders, and the least used items are on the far right. As for most used programs, they are pinned on my Task Bar, hence why they are at the far right, where I have to scroll to access them. This makes the Start Screen, for me, easier to use, organized, and faster to use. Pinning the folders I needs, allows me to use my computer faster, then with the Start Menu, which limits you to a specif list of folders. Also, with the Start Screen, I don't have to dig through a different organization of folder for every program, and be submerged with readme files, "visit our website", "visitour forum", "visit our about page", "visit out contact page".. "we beg you come and visit our web site, we spent too much money on our web developer", uninstall shortcuts, help documentation and so on. Start Screen is nice and clean, and filter those out (at least tries to).

See how better things is? Then I could say.

What I find shameful with Windows 8, is accessing the menu to shutdown or put to sleep manually the computer. The best method I found and currently use, is do Win+I, and now I have access to the Power button. I would not mind so much if I could do a keyboard combination that doesn't require my 2 hands. Alt+F4 on the desktop works, but I find it annoying, if I want to sleep my computer, to require to minimize my programs, and focus on the desktop, to see the shutdown menu box. I would have been nice to have this, perhaps under the account User name menu. And if you select them, to avoid accidental selection if it's on a tablet or touchscreen device to ask if I was sue to do this, for restart, hibernate and shutdown options. What do you guys think?

See. Nice and constructive. normally I would add a mockup screen shot showing what I am talking about as well.

I don't mind such comments. It's subjective, and it works.

I also have my set of dislikes with Windows 8 (I have to wait for the final release with 8.1 to express judgement, as it is in Beta, and you usually have debug stuff staying in there, including Microsoft collecting telemetry data). But when I express them, I state the issue clearly, for each of them, why it doesn't work, and suggest possible fix. This allows for a conversation to built up. Also, it allows someone to come and suggest a fix, or mention something that I didn't knew about. It makes a rather nice conversation, and builds proper feedback on a product. We don't need: "IT's SUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKSSS! IT SUUUUUUCCCCKKSSS the background has changed, it SUUUUUUUCCCCKSS!!!!" in the front of people faces... the Internet is filled with those. It's annoying, unhelpful, doesn't help building a conversation, nothing is constructive about it, and then you wonder why Microsoft doesn't care about user feedback.

It is clear that the Start Screen, is up to a difficult challenge. It need to surpass the Start Menu, something that has been worked on, and polished since Windows 95. And it needs to make a UI, completely innovative, never done before, and well balance it for all type of devices. You can see this with Windows 8, where Microsoft set a nice set of improvement for the keyboard and mouse usage, and also Microsoft is working with OEMs and touchpad manufactures, to improve touchpad navigation with the OS. You can, and should, further improvement with Windows 8.2, 8.3, and so on. You might be wondering, why do this now? Well, it's a bit obvious. Companies and schools follows a 6 year life cycle in upgrading their systems OS. Companies are still in the transition phase to Windows 7. Windows 8 is the perfect version of Windows, to introduce such drastic change. It allows users to know it to some extent, and work on it thanks to telemetry data and constructive feedback, to make it better. And hope to have something well balance and enjoyed by all with Windows 9. Which is where, as buisnesses will upgrade to it, will show to sale well.

Right-now, it's mater of knowing how to use the Start Screen, which many don't.

Here is an old screen shot of my desktop computer Start Screen with Windows 8.

dss.png

It follows Microsoft guidelines found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

While an old pictures (I have a lot more games installed now, and upgraded programs, and a few more folder pinned), but the idea is there.

Basically, the most used stuff is at the bottom left corner of the screen. I have pinned my most used folders, and the least used items are on the far right. As for most used programs, they are pinned on my Task Bar, hence why they are at the far right, where I have to scroll to access them. This makes the Start Screen, for me, easier to use, organized, and faster to use. Pinning the folders I needs, allows me to use my computer faster, then with the Start Menu, which limits you to a specif list of folders. Also, with the Start Screen, I don't have to dig through a different organization of folder for every program, and be submerged with readme files, "visit our website", "visitour forum", "visit our about page", "visit out contact page".. "we beg you come and visit our web site, we spent too much money on our web developer", uninstall shortcuts, help documentation and so on. Start Screen is nice and clean, and filter those out (at least tries to).

See how better things is? Then I could say.

What I find shameful with Windows 8, is accessing the menu to shutdown or put to sleep manually the computer. The best method I found and currently use, is do Win+I, and now I have access to the Power button. I would not mind so much if I could do a keyboard combination that doesn't require my 2 hands. Alt+F4 on the desktop works, but I find it annoying, if I want to sleep my computer, to require to minimize my programs, and focus on the desktop, to see the shutdown menu box. I would have been nice to have this, perhaps under the account User name menu. And if you select them, to avoid accidental selection if it's on a tablet or touchscreen device to ask if I was sue to do this, for restart, hibernate and shutdown options. What do you guys think?

See. Nice and constructive. normally I would add a mockup screen shot showing what I am talking about as well.

I CANT READ ALL THİS MATE CAN YOU PLS MAKE İT SHORTER D:

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

That's the short version... :/

I usually go more in depth, and start talking some analysis on options with the current market. Like how Microsoft could potentially take a step backwards a bit, but changing Modern UI of Windows 8, but keep it for Windows phone and Windows RT (keep but will naturally evolved), have something different for desktop, more keyboard/mouse friendly, but return Modern UI later on. In other words, I basically conclude on stuff like how Microsoft, like Vista, was going to ahead of it's time, and the changes are simply too much for people to absorb in one shot.

I don't believe you, as what you mentioned are incorrect.

Well I have used Windows 8 quite a bit.....so that's correct. 

Nvidia releases the first beta drivers for Windows 8.1

Here is the full release notes of the drivers, including known issues: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/326.19/326.19-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-326.19-beta-driver.html

HUGE update for me over 320.01. Getting 27% better frame rates in Slyrim 55fps from 40.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

idk, but what I've heard and seem from 8.1, the changes seem to improve and fix some of the issues i have with my windows 8 laptop. One question tho: if i upgrade to 8.1, will i have to reinstall the OS when the final version of 8.1 comes out or can i do a simple update through the microsoft store?

as a side note: did anyone really expect MS to bring the start menu back fully? They focused a lot on it and they've decided that is how they are going with it. I think that having the button always visible is better tho because it is easier to access all the things with a right click. 

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Let us see what DirectX 11.2 has to offer since the Xbox One is DirectX 11.2.

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.

idk, but what I've heard and seem from 8.1, the changes seem to improve and fix some of the issues i have with my windows 8 laptop. One question tho: if i upgrade to 8.1, will i have to reinstall the OS when the final version of 8.1 comes out or can i do a simple update through the microsoft store?

You can upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Preview (Beta), but when comes Windows 8.1 official release, you'll have to clean install your system. You CAN however, tell the Windows setup to keep your personal information. This will keep your personal files (and it's pretty good at it, I tried, and it even kept files in the root of C:\, that I put for experimentation of it), and also the Start Screen layout. As you install back programs, you'll see them re-appear on the Start Screen, at the same position/group they were before. The test I have done with with Windows 8.

as a side note: did anyone really expect MS to bring the start menu back fully? They focused a lot on it and they've decided that is how they are going with it. I think that having the button always visible is better tho because it is easier to access all the things with a right click.

The right-click menu was already there. But Modern UI was a bit too much of a change for people. The Start Button is back, to help ease the transition, even thought it breaks the Modern UI language. This is something that was talked about during the dev build of Windows 8 (alpha). From user feedback, Microsoft decided to remove it, as they agreed it didn't make sense following their own created language. But I guess an exception will have to be made now.

It's interesting, because in an article, Microsoft said that they didn't want to drastically change the desktop theme, because it would be no longer familiar to people. This was a comment they said about the sheer number of people presenting their own take on Modern UI desktop layout.

Here is a famous mockup: http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/24/2822891/windows-desktop-ui-concept

i use windows 8 i really see no difference in performance i even get like 10-15 fps more on games like bf3 and skyrim

btw dont use programs like valley run those are just to see if your computer is running

actually go into games and you will see

(in some cases)

positives 

+games boot up quicker

+programs load faster

+program stability is better 

negatives

- start button is complicated

Insomnia!

Taking down airplanes with gameboys

• 3 weeks later...

Look I'm just going to tell it how it is. Windows 8 is the future and your going to have to upgrade sooner or later. I'm running Windows 8.1 right now and I wouldn't downgrade to Windows 7 if someone paid me. Windows 8 grows on you. and only people that have it and have been using it for a while and with an open and mature understanding will understand. I say again Windows 8 is the future.

thanks for the benchmark im gonna go download 8.1 and test it myself :D 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler