[NSFW] [Morbid] The Evora Bone Chapel.

zappian

Here in portugal we have a chapel made entirely of human bones.

Here is a link if you want to learn more about it , wont post pictures for obvious reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capela_dos_Ossos

If you want to know why this thing was made here is a portuguese article i translated in a hurry.

There is a chapel made of human bones in Évora (Portugal). A church to reflect on one of the greatest messages of religions: we die, that's for sure, and this world is just something temporary. The central idea is to think about what is most important in our life, and the most important is not the body. In the chapel entrance is written: "Our bones await yours". Say the dead: "You are what you were, you will be what we are."

The story goes that Chico Xavier rested in his humble home, and a man to see that there was only one bed and a small stool, asked the Chico: "You are so well known and acclaimed by all and in your home there is virtually nothing? When Xavier promptly replied: "Of course, my friend. I'm here just passing through. "

The Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa in one of his poems, wisely declares, "Death is the turn of the road, dying is only not be seen."

Death is fast, and is not expected, its treacherous and around everyday, until the appointed moment.

Everything passes, things will go in an instant.

All vanities end in nothing. The cemeteries are full of good people, bad, old or young. Death is a place where all are equal in the same size. And you? Where will spend eternity? Or, if you do not believe in forever; where it will be after you die.

There is a similar church in Kutná Hora, Czech Republic called Sedlec Ossuary.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

I have visted that church plenty of time. I find it really facinating how they use human bones to design the interior.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

damn this looks awesome.

they have something seemlier in paris, they call it the catacombs orso, the walls are made of skulls and along the way you find things which basically latin texts which say you enter the realm of the dead and life is temporary for everybody.

but this thing is going to be on my must visit list

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

That's cool and creepy at the same time.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

damn this looks awesome.

they have something seemlier in paris, they call it the catacombs orso, the walls are made of skulls and along the way you find things which basically latin texts which say you enter the realm of the dead and life is temporary for everybody.

but this thing is going to be on my must visit list

"Nothing lasts forever , even stars die"

Been to the killing fields in Cambodia and I sware it was creepy as heck. There is just something about knowing that these hundreds and hundreds of bones are people who were tortured and murdered, instead of naturally dying.

10/10 Recommend for anyone to go, 0/10 wouldn't go again though.

I don't 100% understand why this is NSFW, but pretty awesome never the less. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I don't 100% understand why this is NSFW, but pretty awesome never the less. 

Well try to explain to your boss why you are watching pictures of walls made of human skulls and femurs xD

Well try to explain to your boss why you are watching pictures of walls made of human skulls and femurs xD

I told him it was interesting. He walked away. What kind of asshole boss do you have? 

There is a similar church in Kutná Hora, Czech Republic called Sedlec Ossuary.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

I have visted that church plenty of time. I find it really facinating how they use human bones to design the interior.

Yup the sedlec ossuary is pretty amazing too.

Dont open if you are squeamish

ossuary%20quat%20of%20arms.jpg

Try to explain to your boss why you're not working and looking on a forum. ;)

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I like that kind of art. Looks cool IMO.

I somehow don't find that creepy at all, even though those bones are from human bodies.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Yup the sedlec ossuary is pretty amazing too.

Dont open if you are squeamish

ossuary%20quat%20of%20arms.jpg

owhh F*K! that's awesome, i wanna go there to!

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

owhh F*K! that's awesome, i wanna go there to!

Indeed , i dont get why it bothers some people.

Death is a natural part of life , same as birth.

No need to hold it as such a big taboo.

Memento mori.

-zip-

I'm kinda afraid to go to Évora now....  :blink:

Nah, just kidin'  B)

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Reminds me of the fact that a good chunk of the Great Wall of China is filled/supported with the dead bodies of the workers who help built it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is somehow related to satanism ? or some kind of black magic.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs)