Ever seen a phone jack like this before? 0_o

DevilishBooster

So, I was at my grandma's yesterday trying to fix her internet, and I found out that her DSL is plugged into this wall port. Has anyone ever seen a wall port like this??? I'm guessing it must be from the 70's when the house was first built.

post-63986-0-33992500-1425958083_thumb.jpost-63986-0-65585400-1425958082_thumb.jpost-63986-0-80695200-1425958084_thumb.j

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

So, I was at my grandma's yesterday trying to fix her internet, and I found out that her DSL is plugged into this wall port. Has anyone ever seen a wall port like this??? I'm guessing it must be from the 70's when the house was first built.

attachicon.gif11064014_10153217935189319_1729364991_o.jpgattachicon.gif11045741_10153217934324319_567442260_o.jpgattachicon.gif11064346_10153217931939319_1414189440_o.jpg

Woah! No I havent. What part of the world do you live in? For a person who knows A LOT about telephones and jacks and such I never seen something like this. O_O

Numbre

wtf is that

i neve knew that someone can imagine such a wall port

Seen them dozens, possibly hundreds of times. Obsolete and rare technology, so I never felt the need to research it.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Woah! No I havent. What part of the world do you live in? For a person who knows A LOT about telephones and jacks and such I never seen something like this. O_O

It's at my grandma's house in Minesota, US. I guess the house was built in the late 1960s, so I'm confident that is the original phone jack.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

phone goin cray, posting shit. Don't mind me... 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Wow, I'm haven't seen that before. Stick a fork in all four holes for science!

Haha! That actually crossed my mind. I was that 4 year old that decided it was a good idea to put scissors into a power outlet. X-P

END OF LINE

just back away slowly and try not to look at it. The rage only comes if you make eye contact. Seriously though that is weird why would it be a modular port! Maybe they were still working on the standards for phone lines and wanted to be able to change it without rewiring is my only guess.

Haha! That actually crossed my mind. I was that 4 year old that decided it was a good idea to put scissors into a power outlet. X-P

Oh gosh, how did that end up for you?Nice spark? :P

Oh gosh, how did that end up for you?Nice spark? :P

Oh, yeah, there was sparks.

I actually did get electrocuted once when I was helping my dad test all the circuits in the house with a multi-meter. I was on the very last socket and, when I sent to put the probes (giggity!) into the outlet, I didn't realize that the tips of my thumbs were touching the bare metal. The next thing I remember, still to this day, is opening my eyes lying on my back with my oldest brother leaning over me and asking if it was fun. LOL!

EDIT: I think I was 10 years old.

END OF LINE

-snip-

Oh wow, I put a knife in and almost got shocked. My brother pushed me and there was a large spark haha.

Woah... Never saw that one...

Personally, when I move in a new place, I just rip the old telephone jacks off the walls before I paint. Unless they look "new", which they never do. They just look ugly and I don't want to see them. It also force Bell (the main "phone line" provider in most part of canada) to actually install new stuff instead of re-using the old junk from 30 years ago.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Woah... Never saw that one...

Personally, when I move in a new place, I just rip the old telephone jacks off the walls before I paint. Unless they look "new", which they never do. They just look ugly and I don't want to see them. It also force Bell (the main "phone line" provider in most part of canada) to actually install new stuff instead of re-using the old junk from 30 years ago.

Yeah, this is in the house my grandma has lived in for 30 years, so I don't think updating the phone lines was a big priority.

END OF LINE

lol, I have a bunch of those in my house. My house was built it the late 30's so that might explain why you don't see it that much.  :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i