Storage- Western digital black 2tb 7200rpm 64mb cache- $127

Crucial Mx100 256GB SSD- $114

Ram- Crucial Ballistic Sport 16GB 2x8- $212

Mobo- Asrock Fatal1ty x99x- $285

Case- Thermeltake urban t81 full tower- $163

total= $1861

What you think?

Well, it certainly is not cheap :)

Just looking at it:  You could save money on the power supply, 850W is a lot for even 2 GTX 970s.  You could save about $50-$75 there.  The extra power just gets wasted.

Best Buy has a deal on 1 TB WD Caviar Blue's for $40 each, no rebates just $39.99.

The case looks cool, but you could save there by getting a Phanteks Enthoo Pro (full tower) $99, awesome case. 

The rest looks fine.  So you could save at least $150 and keep the same functionality and performance.  Maybe put is elsewhere?  But that is up to you.

Another thing to consider is sound.  I know Corsair fans are loud under load.  I have not looked too closely at that particular case and what fans it comes with.  For the H50 the Rosewill Hyperborea 120mm are good, or the Lepa Vortex will do nicely too at half the price of the Corsair SP120s (and a lot quieter too).  If you save some cash on other things, an upgrade to a H105 or H110 might be nice if you are planning to push the CPU into really high clocks.

What are your thoughts?

PS: my internet is cutting out intermittently.

I was also thinking cutting mechanical drive to 1tb, 2tb seems abit much unless i decide to keep every game i installed then again i can always add another one in the future.The WD black seems to have more feature compared to blue such as

mproved Architectural Designs: Dual Core Processor, High Resolution Controller (HRC), StableTrac Technology

Improved Data Protection: Vibration Control Technology (VCT), Corruption Protection Technology (CPT), NoTouch Ramp Load Technology

Superior responsiveness with the next-generation speed that you need

How many watts is required to run a desktop with 2 gtx970 sli?

I have actually thought about all the things you mentioned about cutting down except for the cpu fan. H50 is no good for oc'ing 5820k? I only plan to overclock alittle if i need to but most likely for what im doing now i will not be overclocking at the moment.

I can save around $200 which is great lol i can put towards my car suspension mod.

Internet cutting off due to snow storm?

I was also thinking cutting mechanical drive to 1tb, 2tb seems abit much unless i decide to keep every game i installed then again i can always add another one in the future.The WD black seems to have more feature compared to blue such as

mproved Architectural Designs: Dual Core Processor, High Resolution Controller (HRC), StableTrac Technology

Improved Data Protection: Vibration Control Technology (VCT), Corruption Protection Technology (CPT), NoTouch Ramp Load Technology

Superior responsiveness with the next-generation speed that you need

How many watts is required to run a desktop with 2 gtx970 sli?

I have actually thought about all the things you mentioned about cutting down except for the cpu fan. H50 is no good for oc'ing 5820k? I only plan to overclock alittle if i need to but most likely for what im doing now i will not be overclocking at the moment.

I can save around $200 which is great lol i can put towards my car mod.

Internet cutting off due to snow storm?

The H50 is fine.  Usually if someone want to really push Oc'ing limits they would do a custom loop which is very expensive.  The bigger radiators on the H105 and h110 are just more effective at cooling quickly.  The H50 is a good cooler and will net you a decent amount of wiggle room to experiment when the time comes.  The fan is just loud.

The Caviar black is just so much more money.  The blue is plenty fast enough for half the price.  If you only need 1TB, then that is a lot more money saved.  Check Best Buy, I do not know when the sale ends...  $40 is a no-brainer.

You COULD look into a 480 or 500GB SSD.  They are usually around $200... or just save the money.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct512mx100ssd1

Lol i like how you quoted my reply but missed half of my question to you.

Lol i like how you quoted my reply but missed half of my question to you.

I was looking into it...  you could probably get away with a good 650W, but If I was building my own I would go for a little more...

750W:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Yes, even for SLI 970's.

@winkawak

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,4.html

Okay i cutted mechanic drive to 1tb and case to phanteks enthoo pro. Everything looks good im going to order tonight. Any suggestion for first time builders when i get my parts? As for the psu i need 850w in case i want to oc my cpu, ram and run 2 gtx970,  price difference is only 20$ for 750w. Btw does the cpu comes with thermal paste?

Okay i cutted mechanic drive to 1tb and case to phanteks enthoo pro. Everything looks good im going to order tonight. Any suggestion for first time builders when i get my parts? As for the psu i need 850w in case i want to oc my cpu, ram and run 2 gtx970,  price difference is only 20$ for 750w.

I can't really push a lower wattage.  I usually buy too much. =D  The 750 would be more than enough as the SLI 970s won't do more than 450w at extreme load.  850 won't kill you. 

Watch build videos, and you will be fine.

Goodluck with the parts! :D

I can't really push a lower wattage.  I usually buy too much. =D  The 750 would be more than enough as the SLI 970s won't do more than 450w at extreme load.  850 won't kill you. 

Watch build videos, and you will be fine.

Goodluck with the parts! :D

i was watching newegg building video, i get it for the most part where parts fits on the mobo but all the wiring seems complicated and doesnt help that all the parts are so delicate lol. What your rig as of right now?

i was watching newegg building video, i get it for the most part where parts fits on the mobo but all the wiring seems complicated and doesnt help that all the parts are so delicate lol. What your rig as of right now?

You mother board manual is the "Bible".  Just keep that readily available to reference the areas of the motherboard.  I did my first build with just that, no youtube videos.

oh, i5 3750K, R9 280, 240GB SSD, 16 GB of RAM @1600, AsRockZ77 Extreme III, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler (Lepa Vortex fan), Corasir C70 (white case), Bitfenix Recon fan controller, and an ASUS dvd writer.  also 3 Bitfenix 140mm Spectre fans.

@winkawak

what software should i run to ensure every hardware is running like its suppose to?

what software should i run to ensure every hardware is running like its suppose to?

That is a loaded question.  I usually just push the power button.

Kidding aside, after the power button thing works, you would want to monitor temps to start.  To make sure things like the pump on the CPU cooler is working.  This will be done in the bios.

After temps are good, and you install windows, you can do a slew of tests on all your hardware.  One step at a time though.  Make sure your parts work, and monitor temperatures. Install windows and then tinker around.

A good general monitor:

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.26.exe

ordering parts tonight! stay tuned i might need your help again lol. what do i use the m.2 for?

Do you want a m2 SSD?  It is faster, but takes up more space on the motherboard.

Do you want a m2 SSD?  It is faster, but takes up more space on the motherboard.

So m.2 is another connection for ssd for storage or boot drive?

I made some change to my build list. For the most part things are still the same,

1.corsair 850w to evga 850w 80 plus full modular and its $20 cheaper

2. Wd black 1tb to wd blue 1tb same spec $20 cheaper

3. ddr4 16gb to ddr4 8gb- $100cheaper - 8gb will do for now or at least till i graduate which will be 1.5 years from now.

This will bring my total down under $1,600 which is still great in price and performance

Im also thinking about switching out corsair h50 for something else that cheaper and will perform the same, i feel im just paying for the brand. Any suggestions?

Btw all the ddr4 ram i see has high cas latency like 15-16, is this normal? how bad is cas latency 16 on a ddr4 8gb 2400mhz?

So m.2 is another connection for ssd for storage or boot drive?

I made some change to my build list. For the most part things are still the same,

1.corsair 850w to evga 850w 80 plus full modular and its $20 cheaper

2. Wd black 1tb to wd blue 1tb same spec $20 cheaper

3. ddr4 16gb to ddr4 8gb- $100cheaper 8gb will do for now or at least till i graduate which will be 1.5 years from now.

This will bring my total down under $1,600 which is still great in price and performance

Im also thinking about switching out corsair h50 for something else that cheaper and will perform the same, i feel im just paying for the brand

It connects a type of SSD storage (and boot) right on to your motherboard, no wires.  The data transer rate is better with m2, but the transfer rate is ridiculous with sata III also.  =)

Everything sounds fine, except the H50 change.  Unless you go air cooling (Coolermaster hyper 212 EVO), the H50 for $50 is fantastic price/performance.  If you are unsure, grab the CM Hyper 212, it is big and clunky but awesome for $30.  I am running a 212 now, but If I really wanted to push an overclock I would go with a closed loop like the H50 or better.

It connects a type of SSD storage (and boot) right on to your motherboard, no wires.  The data transer rate is better with m2, but the transfer rate is ridiculous with sata III also.  =)

Everything sounds fine, except the H50 change.  Unless you go air cooling (Coolermaster hyper 212 EVO), the H50 for $50 is fantastic price/performance.  If you are unsure, grab the CM Hyper 212, it is big and clunky but awesome for $30.  I am running a 212 now, but If I really wanted to push an overclock I would go with a closed loop like the H50 or better.

ill stay with h50($60), dont want my cpu to fry lol.

Btw all the ddr4 ram i see has high cas latency like 15-16, is this normal? how bad is cas latency 16 on a ddr4 8gb 2400mhz?

ill stay with h50($60), dont want my cpu to fry lol.

It is not bad.   For gaming, it is irrelevant.  If you divide the CL by the clock you can see the request response time... 15 / 2400 = 0.00625 seconds.  You can use the formula to compare other DDR3 RAM,  or any other DDR4 set.

It is not bad.   For gaming, it is irrelevant.  If you divide the CL by the clock you can see the request response time... 15 / 2400 = 0.00625 seconds.  You can use the formula to compare other DDR3 RAM,  or any other DDR4 set.

I see, i almost forgot about a blue ray burner, cant install my window without one or this another way?

I see, i almost forgot about a blue ray burner, cant install my window without one or this another way?

You can. You can do it with a usb stick.  When you download windows (you get a key with purchase), there is an option for a bootable USB version.  Go into bios, make sure you set the USB to boot and run the windows install from there.

You can also buy an external DVD writer for about $30.

You can. You can do it with a usb stick.  When you download windows (you get a key with purchase), there is an option for a bootable USB version.  Go into bios, make sure you set the USB to boot and run the windows install from there.

You can also buy an external DVD writer for about $30.

how big or fast does this usb have to be?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136250

currently they have this on sale for 45$