My Build Help

winkawak

Hey did you build your parents a PC?

If you did, your next project should be a NAS (Network Attached Storage).  You can share files easily and instantly from it to any computer on your network. 

Tell me if you do decide to make one, cause I wanna learn from your experience since I do not have one  :lol:

Hey did you build your parents a PC?

If you did, your next project should be a NAS (Network Attached Storage).  You can share files easily and instantly from it to any computer on your network. 

Tell me if you do decide to make one, cause I wanna learn from your experience since I do not have one  :lol:

Not yet lol

They wont be needing one a year from now.

FYI, my image was 24GB, that took 10 minutes (less)... bigger image more time.

You mentioned the clone drive will be smaller than the actual drive, whys that?

Also when i do get additional ram, do i need to keep it same speed?

Not yet lol

They wont be needing one a year from now.

You mentioned the clone drive will be smaller than the actual drive, whys that?

Also when i do get additional ram, do i need to keep it same speed?

I am not really sure how the compression works.  I image some sort of compression algorithm.

RAM has changed a lot, I usually would try to keep the clock and timings of the RAM the exact same, but it might be different now. 

I am not really sure how the compression works.  I image some sort of compression algorithm.

RAM has changed a lot, I usually would try to keep the clock and timings of the RAM the exact same, but it might be different now. 

kinda off topic, recently finally decided to register for my citizenship lol after putting it off for many years. I guess my main reason was because my green card is about to expire and renewal cost about the same as naturalization process. It costs me 700$..............................i could of used that money to mod my 2013 mustang gt or buy another gtx 970 and have some money over. I feel like im buying my citizenship.

Fair warning:  Acronis True Image is not free, you do have to pay for it.  Clonezilla clones a drive in roughly 10 minutes.  So spending 10 minutes a week backing up your drive is not a big deal. 

Nothing wrong with paying for software that offers a useful feature set. I have tried numerous no charge packages and inevitably I end up using an inexpensive commercial package for, and I am generalizing here, their higher reliability and better feature set.

One is not going to be properly backing up or cloning 100MB+ in 10 minutes. it is not physically possible. If programs are installed on another drive, then one needs to add those to the backup. Otherwise there is a potential for the registry to get out of sync with the rest of the system.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Nothing wrong with paying for software that offers a useful feature set. I have tried numerous no charge packages and inevitably I end up using an inexpensive commercial package for, and I am generalizing here, their higher reliability and better feature set.

One is not going to be properly backing up or cloning 100MB+ in 10 minutes. it is not physically possible. If programs are installed on another drive, then one needs to add those to the backup. Otherwise there is a potential for the registry to get out of sync with the rest of the system.

So one would have to back up not only the storage drive (if you have programs installed on it), but the boot drive (SSD) as well.  This is to ensure proper system integration between the drives.  Makes sense.

kinda off topic, recently finally decided to register for my citizenship lol after putting it off for many years. I guess my main reason was because my green card is about to expire and renewal cost about the same as naturalization process. It costs me 700$..............................i could of used that money to mod my 2013 mustang gt or buy another gtx 970 and have some money over. I feel like im buying my citizenship.

The US government has to make their money somehow :lol:

Congratulation on citizenship BTW.  Where were you born?

sounds expensive..............

What Brob what referring to, I believe, is the possibility that you will need to secure two images in order to properly backup your system. 

The reason you need two is that when you install a game/program on your mechanical hard drive, registry files (and many other files) are stored on the SSD.  So making an image of just the HDD would not complete the system backup.  You would have to backup one drive, then immediately grab the second one too... as a pair.

sounds expensive..............

@stconquest has the gist of it.

The easiest way to figure out if good backup is expensive is to imagine that your storage suddenly become unusable. How much would you be willing to spend to recover from this, both time and money?

Backup only requires one external drive, hopefully two or three times larger than the total amount of storage used in the system.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Got my first blue screen of death tonight, had 2 firefox opened one watching youtube video another browsing internet. After bsod it restarted i login in but just black screen, so i had to shut it down. Boot up normally after, check my minidump file, bsod cause by ntoskrnl.exe. Did little search on google find has to do with ram and hard drive. Downloaded wd data life guard diagnostic on my mechanic drive which is healthy but my ssd on shows failed end to end error rate(value/threshold/worst is all 0) in SMART statue. Im not sure if i can trust this wd diagnostic on my crucial ssd, there are alot of unknown in SMART statue too. Theres no ssd diagnotic for crucial, there is a firmware not sure if it helps.

Got my first blue screen of death tonight, had 2 firefox opened one watching youtube video another browsing internet. After bsod it restarted i login in but just black screen, so i had to shut it down. Boot up normally after, check my minidump file, bsod cause by ntoskrnl.exe. Did little search on google find has to do with ram and hard drive. Downloaded wd data life guard diagnostic on my mechanic drive which is healthy but my ssd on shows failed end to end error rate(value/threshold/worst is all 0) in SMART statue. Im not sure if i can trust this wd diagnostic on my crucial ssd, there are alot of unknown in SMART statue too. Theres no ssd diagnotic for crucial, there is a firmware not sure if it helps.

Ran crystaldiskinfo on my ssd, health statues says good, it doesnt say end to end error rate like wd. Instead same ID B4  line says "unused reserve nand blocks" instead