Removing the copper from an Intel stock cooler

Go to solution Solved by Scheer,

A few months ago someone asked if it was possible and curiosity got the best of me, so I separated one using a vise and posted pictures. It was in this sub-forum, but I tried searching for it and cannot find it.

EDIT: That is why I couldn't find it... I was searching for intel, but its not in the title anywhere. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/235596-anyway-to-remove-the-copper-slug-from-a-heatsink/

A little while ago I saw an interesting thread (post? article?) about seperating the copper and aluminium in an Intel stock cooler like this:

i7_roundup-027.jpg

I mentioned this to someone recently and they wanted to read it, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone knows where to find this info I would really appreciate it if you could share it.

Many thanks :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

What..?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Why would you do that though?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What? Whyyy???

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Copper is expensive and a lot of people scrap copper. I took a hand-powered hydraulic press and got it out that way. any metals shop should have one.

Do you want to sell it as a raw material? because it's not that much copper.

huh

you will probarly have to use alot of chemicals 

Copper is expensive and a lot of people scrap copper. I took a hand-powered hydraulic press and got it out that way. any metals shop should have one.

it's expensive, but that is like couple of grams of it. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

it's expensive, but that is like couple of grams of it. 

People throw those things out all the time, I have something like 500 of those coolers in a box somewhere in my attic.

People throw those things out all the time, I have something like 500 of those coolers in a box somewhere in my attic.

Intel stock CPU coolers are love, Intel stock CPU coolers are life.

Intel stock CPU coolers are love, Intel stock CPU coolers are life.

Nah. Corsair H105 FTW.

Nah. Corsair H105 FTW.

I don't know why, but I've always found AIO coolers to be kinda lame. When you can get high performance air cooling why get low end water cooling? :D

I don't know why, but I've always found AIO coolers to be kinda lame. When you can get high performance air cooling why get low end water cooling? :D

Because I don't like the looks of big, bulky air coolers.

Because I don't like the looks of big, bulky air coolers.

I love air coolers <3 haha

I guess that, and the fact that you pretty much never have problems installing it are good reasons to get an AIO cooler

I took a hand-powered hydraulic press and got it out that way. any metals shop should have one.

Thanks for the response, I knew I had seen people do it.

In resonse to the question "why", I don't actually want to take the copper out and scrap it, I was just interested in finding the original post / thread / article to show my friend. I'm glad to have some confirmation that it can be done, but sadly I can't find the first place I saw it again. Thanks for the responses though :)

A few months ago someone asked if it was possible and curiosity got the best of me, so I separated one using a vise and posted pictures. It was in this sub-forum, but I tried searching for it and cannot find it.

EDIT: That is why I couldn't find it... I was searching for intel, but its not in the title anywhere. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/235596-anyway-to-remove-the-copper-slug-from-a-heatsink/

Because tubes look dope and you can then brag to your friends that your pc is watercooled, just like a car engine. Which is awesome. And why go lame when you can go awesome 

Thanks so much, this was really cool :D