Anyway to remove the copper slug from a heatsink?

FlugleWaffle

So I have one of these old stock heatsinks from an Ivy Bridge processor and my friend and I are going to destroy it with some Gallium but we want to keep the copper slug in the middle. Is there any possible way to remove it without causing damage to either part? Thanks for any help.

post-10015-0-20125700-1413729707_thumb.j

Right, I understand that, however I don't expect the Gallium to fully damage the Aluminum enough that all of it comes off. I've never used it before so I don't know what part will remain.

It is either press fit in, or soldered in... Either way its going to be a pain to remove.

EDIT: Damn you curiosity!

Actually, pretty easy to remove... it was just press fit, my cute little 4" vise did it no problem. I did have to add in some more spacers on the backside due to the length of the plug, but got lazy with the pictures, sorry.

IMG_20141020_234225430.jpg

IMG_20141020_234230935_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141020_234312892_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141020_234633927.jpg

Note: One mosquito was harmed in the process of removing the slug.

If you plan to scrap it, it weighs in at 2.5 oz (70g), for a total of about $0.47

• 7 years later...

Uhh, can you put the slug back in afterwards? Like i have a socket 775 cooler with a slug in it similar to this, i want to take the slug out and then cut off the bulging part in order to mod it.