Is a tenkeyless keyboard worth it?

Danang

I'm planning to buy my first mechanical keyboard. Might buy either the blue or brown switches. The thing I'm struggling at is to either buy a full size keyboard or a tenkeyless. I found the PERFECT balance, CM Storm Quickfire TK. Somehow, it's always "out of stock". I'm guessing no longer in production??

CM Storm Quickfire TK = http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-TK-Mechanical/dp/B00A378L4C/

Anyways, I've been using a full sized keyboard forever. By that I mean a keyboard with a numpad. Even on my laptop! The problem is, I've never used a tenkeyless, so I don't know the difference.

So, for those using or switched to a tenkeyless keyboard, how is it better?

Also, since it is my first mechanical keyboard, what do you suggest? (under USD 150 please)

Yes.

THIS IS MY SUPER TEENY TINY SIGNATURE!

Ain't it just the cutest little signature.

Some would argue it is the cutest little signature ever.

10 keyless boards are generally the same size as a full keyboard, without the 10 keys, which makes it about 20% smaller. If you can live without the keys then get one, but it probably won't be much cheaper. I would just buy a full sized.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

don't use your numpad for a few days and see if you find the difference small enough to make the leap.

I have a full sized one for my desktop and a 10 key less for my laptop :)

I'm using the Quickfire Rapid-i with blue switches. Love it! Great build quality and ofc the clickity click click :D

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

As someone who have used both a full size, and a 60% keyboard. The decrease in size is super nice. The extra space that you get is something that a lot of people overlook.

I use the lack of size to my advantage. I put my keyboard in a pull-out drawer in my desk and now I can push it to the exact spot in the drawer where I want it to go. I never use the numpad. If you have the mouse and keyboard on the same level of the desk (right next to eachother like so) then a tenkeyless will be awesome.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'm using the TK reds and I really like their implementation of the numpad. However, I like it much better at a $75 or under price-point vs the $100+ of your link. They jacked up the prices for some reason (maybe why it's out of stock? demand or manufacturing issues) and considering that it's supposed to be a value board you may as well go with a G710+ at that range. You only buy these TK's and such to save money and not so much to save space.

I'm using the TK reds and I really like their implementation of the numpad. However, I like it much better at a $75 or under price-point vs the $100+ of your link. They jacked up the prices for some reason (maybe why it's out of stock? demand or manufacturing issues) and considering that it's supposed to be a value board you may as well go with a G710+ at that range. You only buy these TK's and such to save money and not so much to save space.

I bought mine for both and also because I never use the numpad and don't like it.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I bought mine for both and also because I never use the numpad and don't like it.

You keep on saying that, but not using the numpad only means you don't know how and not that you choose not to. I used to be the same and think the same. But in many applications it makes your life that much easier.

You keep on saying that, but not using the numpad only means you don't know how and not that you choose not to. I used to be the same and think the same. But in many applications it makes your life that much easier.

You can type with two hands with the number row at the top. You can use one on the right, IE, the number row is faster and therefor better IMO.

EDIT: also, anyone who says "But they're like phone dial pads!" is wrong - check it. The numpad on a keyboard is laid out in the opposite order.

You can type with two hands with the number row at the top. You can use one on the right, IE, the number row is faster and therefor better IMO.

EDIT: also, anyone who says "But they're like phone dial pads!" is wrong - check it. The numpad on a keyboard is laid out in the opposite order.

If you do a lot of number work then learning how to properly use numpad with one hand is the best. Of course most people do not work with numbers that much so numpad really isn't required. One can always get a separate numpad, though.

Does the TK really make a space difference? If not, I'll just go full keyboard.

As someone who have used both a full size, and a 60% keyboard. The decrease in size is super nice. The extra space that you get is something that a lot of people overlook.

Does the space make a significant difference in gaming, or any other scenarios?

I made the jump a small while back from a full size to 10 keyless CM QF rapid I. After a few days to get used to missing  the keys I don't regret the jump at all. 

Does the space make a significant difference in gaming, or any other scenarios?

In actual performance of the keyboard? Then it makes no difference what so ever.

What will make a difference however is that your shoulders are at a more natural state. Instead of having to reach over to WASD on one side, and the mouse on the other. Over time this will cause less strain to you from being at the computer.

I only recommend a full-size keyboard to people who does a lot of number crunching. But even then, there are work-around's, with detachable numpads, etc.

Anyways, I've been using a full sized keyboard forever. By that I mean a keyboard with a numpad. Even on my laptop! The problem is, I've never used a tenkeyless, so I don't know the difference.

So, for those using or switched to a tenkeyless keyboard, how is it better?

Also, since it is my first mechanical keyboard, what do you suggest? (under USD 150 please)

The Good

Your mouse hand can be closer to your body, which is more comfortable.

It's easier to carry around.

The smaller your keyboard, teh more haXor skilz you have.

You will have more space on your desk.

They look nicer.

The Bad

No numberpad, so if you work with numbers a lot I wouldn't bother with a TKL.

The above isn't really a problem with the Quickfire-TK, you just have to switch modes with Numlk

The Meh

There isn't really a difference in price.

If you buy a full set of keycaps, you'll have a load spare.

It does. It's very efficient for what it is. I actually like having all of the buttons tied to the numpad.

The biggest problem right now is that it's not priced as it used to be. And that means you may as well go for the El Grande keyboard with all of the bells and whistles in the same price range.