Should I buy a 760 now or a 960 in a few days?

Hi guys,

I have been looking at the EVGA 760 SC and then I noticed that they were bringing out the new 960. My question is; is it worth the extra few quid and the waiting time to get the 960 or should I stick with the original plan and get the 760 while it is cheaper? what do you guys think?

I would use it for casual gaming to my tv-monitor

Thanks in advance

Kalinco 

wait, we don't know if the 960 is faster than the 760 yet.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

wait, we don't know if the 960 is faster than the 760 yet.

maybe the r9 380 or r9 370 will beat both

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

definitely wait!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I would personally wait for the GTX 960 because of Maxwell's efficiency.

sorry, what's the Maxwell's efficiency?

Maxwell is the architecture of the 900 series and it's very power effiecient.

Maxwell is the new Nvidia architecture which is much more power efficient than the previous Kepler architecture.

\

Hi guys,

I have been looking at the EVGA 760 SC and then I noticed that they were bringing out the new 960. My question is; is it worth the extra few quid and the waiting time to get the 960 or should I stick with the original plan and get the 760 while it is cheaper? what do you guys think?

I would use it for casual gaming to my tv-monitor

Thanks in advance

Kalinco 

How cheap is the 760?

Maxwell is more power efficient than Kepler, which is pretty meaningless in this case when a GTX 760 is only a 170W video card. The reason to wait for the 960 would be performance, not power consumption. I'd just wait. It's only going to be a week until the 960 releases and then you'll see reliable benchmarks to indicate whether the 960 is a worthy upgrade or not. I can't imagine the 760 will hold its price well once the 960 is out. The 960 will likely sell like crazy. I doubt it'll be powerful enough to be as hard to find in stores as the 970 was the first 2 months after launch though.

Thanks for the advice guys, the opinion seems to be to wait and see the specs of the 960 of release and decide based on those, and that is what I will do, I'll let you know what my decicion is when it comes to that!

Thanks again!

Kalinco

I'd probably want to wait to see what happens with the GTX 960, if it were me. If you decide to get something now, I'd recommend skipping the GTX 760 and going with an R9 280 instead.

Wait for 960. Why be so impatient to buy discontinued hardware instead of buying cutting edge new releases to be out soon? Assuming the price is similar, there's not reason not to wait. Yes some people will tell you to not wait for new releases, or "you'll never buy a GPU", but this is to be out soon to my knowledge. Personally I would wait, that's just me.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Lauch date is a few days away, availability might be a different story. But I would say the launch will probably make the competition's prices drop, I think it's worth it to wait even if you don't end up buying it.