What would happen if I attached a case fan to a car battery?

Ps_domingo
Go to solution Solved by Chevaishr,

Can you explain why?

the fan will not fry. the amount of current (amps)that flows to the fan is determined by the internal resistance of the fan. the fan would have a very high resistance so as long as the source is 12v only a fixed amount of current will flow to the fan REGARDLESS OF THE SOURCE.

but putting 1.5 volts in series does not make 12 volts. Amperage increases but not the voltage. :)

1.5+1.5+1.5+1.5+1.5+1.5+1.5+1.5=12v http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-Batteries-in-Series-or-Parallel

My question is will the fans take the amps and burn the PCB or will it draw what it needs or run in normal operations. :)

it will only draw what is determined by the fan's internal resistance. the only way to burn the fan would be to hit it with very high voltages as an increase in voltage would allow for an increase in current flow at a given resistance.

Could you PLEASE! provide like a picture or video? :D

as you see hear dem cpu fans can take abise ... but in order to abuse them you need high voltage. which a car battery does not have.

Although the volts are the same the amperage is very high and it will most probably fry anything you hook up to it. The power supply is made to draw and supply as much power as needed, the car battery always supplies the same power (peak power) when it is above 20% charged. Do not try it.

Edit: You would need a controller between the battery and any device you hook up, in that case it should work. Power equals voltage multiplied by current (P=V*I) and unless you do something to control the current (and thus the power supplied) you are going to destroy your fans.

ok the capability of the battery is very high but think of it like this, current is not "pushed" it is "pulled" by what ever presents the load.that load is determined by the resistance. a high resistance means that little current will flow and thus a small load(because there is a lot of resistance to current flow ) . now with a low resistance there would be great current flow. with a cpu fan there exist a high resistance and thus as long as the supply is around 12 volts it would draw as much current that it is rated for on the back of the fan

I want to run a couple of case fans to a car battery. (It's the car battery for a Honda Civic to be more specific)

Is this possible?

I use these spare case fans to blow air towards my hands when I'm gaming. They are currently attached to a step down transformer that allows me to get the power from the wall outlet. Now I was thinking since the voltage of my car battery is 12 volts and I'm almost up for replacement can I use that to power the case fan in case of power outage so it can blow air towards me and keep me cool? :))) 

Has anyone else done this? 

Is there a better battery based solution? Hopefully one I can use for at least 1 week without recharging? 

I have about 30 USD to spare and I'm opting for this rather than buying an actual rechargeable fan cause I like building stuff and those things a quite bulky and often include lights or a radio which I don't really like. 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

What would happen? I have no idea but It probably won't be a good thing. Not recommended messing around with a car battery. 

its 12volts so i would think it should run fine.

easy way try it and report back

Its all about those volumetric clouds

i think i would be fine, just do it and if it works tell us the results.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Why a Car Battery?[/quot.

Cause my car battery is almost up for renewal .

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

What would happen? I have no idea but It probably won't be a good thing. Not recommended messing around with a car battery.

I've seen people attach a build to the battery directly so I'm guessing a fan could handle it but it never hurts to ask. :)

I'm gonna have to wait for a bit. :) car battery will be replace in a month or so.

i think i would be fine, just do it and if it works tell us the results.

Sure thing. :)) if this works ill attach a 230mm fan to that aside from the oem fans. :))

No, don't try it it will fry the fan and it may damage the battery or you

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Well there would be a bang, an explode, a few corpses, many people crying, a CIT case, linus with a duck face and the fat guy from jurassic park wagging his finger.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i dont thin it would do anything other than run for a long time assuming the batteries charged

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It will work just fine, no it wont blow up or short out (so long as you attach them safely) but I would not recommend it not because of any electrical reasons but because of the acid inside the battery car batteries can sometimes leak a little which isn't good for anything inside your house it won't harm you as long as you wash it off unless you get it all in your eye but it will ruin carpet.

Your best bet is to go on ebay and buy a bunch of rechargeable AA's and link them up (yes the chinese ones are fine) you will need 8 minimum (1.5v x 8 = 12v) if you get 16 you can run 2 sets of 8 in parallel and double your run time. 

Voltage will be fine but the amperage might not be, those are designed to start an engine so it might burn the fan out lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Lol itll be fine, car batteries are 12v, fans are 12v, Just get ur + & - right & all will run fine. Yes batteries deliver high amps, means it can power heaps of fans. You can run any 12v device off any 12v power source aslong as the power source can deliver enough power.  Just because a power point can supply a 1000W kettle, doesnt mean its pushing 1000w into your alarm clock.

Me & my mate have run heaps stuff off car batteries: spot lights, led's, car audio system in an Esky. Its fun shizznick

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

car batteries are 12v and fans are 12v so it should work.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I thought I've watched something like this before. Can't remember results...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It will work and run for quite a long time - assuming you wire it up correctly.

the real question is if we can run a computer fan on car fuel without anything on the fan that limits it.
i'm expecting it to fly away.

I thought I've watched something like this before. Can't remember results...

I wont be over volting the fans as the car battery is actually 12v. 15 max. :) 

No, don't try it it will fry the fan and it may damage the battery or you

Can you explain why? 

It will work just fine, no it wont blow up or short out (so long as you attach them safely) but I would not recommend it not because of any electrical reasons but because of the acid inside the battery car batteries can sometimes leak a little which isn't good for anything inside your house it won't harm you as long as you wash it off unless you get it all in your eye but it will ruin carpet.

Your best bet is to go on ebay and buy a bunch of rechargeable AA's and link them up (yes the chinese ones are fine) you will need 8 minimum (1.5v x 8 = 12v) if you get 16 you can run 2 sets of 8 in parallel and double your run time. 

but putting 1.5 volts in series does not make 12 volts. Amperage increases but not the voltage. :) 

Voltage will be fine but the amperage might not be, those are designed to start an engine so it might burn the fan out lol

My question is will the fans take the amps and burn the PCB or will it draw what it needs or run in normal operations. :) 

Lol itll be fine, car batteries are 12v, fans are 12v, Just get ur + & - right & all will run fine. Yes batteries deliver high amps, means it can power heaps of fans. You can run any 12v device off any 12v power source aslong as the power source can deliver enough power.  Just because a power point can supply a 1000W kettle, doesnt mean its pushing 1000w into your alarm clock.

Me & my mate have run heaps stuff off car batteries: spot lights, led's, car audio system in an Esky. Its fun shizznick

Could you PLEASE! provide like a picture or video? :D 

It will work and run for quite a long time - assuming you wire it up correctly.

I'm going to connect them using alligator clips.

the OEM fan has a 3 pin connector and I have a stripped molex end of the step down adapters that came with my spectre pro.

Big alligator clamps to hook up to a car battery and tiny ones to hook to the fans. 

Is this enough? More importantly did you even understand what I was trying to potray? =)) 

Something like that, but that is currently attached to a step down transformer. :)

post-65-0-45700300-1371733462_thumb.jpg