Ultrawide IPS vs. High Refresh Rate TN

Sirpotatos

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum, and I have a question that is sure to spark a lot of debate, but I wanted more input. So I've scoured the Internet already and done a lot of research but I'm still stumped. I am well aware of the benefits and downsides to IPS vs TN. But I still can't decide if I should get the LG 29UM65, which is a 2560x1080p/60hz/IPS or an Asus VG248QE or Benq 2420z which are both 1920x1080p/144hz/TN. This is roughly the price range I'm comfortable with. I am currently running a 7870 HD Ghz but will likely upgrade the GPU early next year whenever the 3xx series comes out. I also am considering waiting for free sync too before making a monitor decision. The issue is that I play a lot of different games. A lot of Battlefield and Titanfall, but also going to be playing Elite Dangerous, Far Cry, some 4x games, some RTS, my tastes are varied. So what do you guys think? I wanted to hear from people who have used similar monitors. Thanks in advance for any help!

Ultra-wide IPS

/thread

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum, and I have a question that is sure to spark a lot of debate, but I wanted more input. So I've scoured the Internet already and done a lot of research but I'm still stumped. I am well aware of the benefits and downsides to IPS vs TN. But I still can't decide if I should get the LG 29UM65, which is a 2560x1080p/60hz/IPS or an Asus VG248QE or Benq 2420z which are both 1920x1080p/144hz/TN. This is roughly the price range I'm comfortable with. I am currently running a 7870 HD Ghz but will likely upgrade the GPU early next year whenever the 3xx series comes out. I also am considering waiting for free sync too before making a monitor decision. The issue is that I play a lot of different games. A lot of Battlefield and Titanfall, but also going to be playing Elite Dangerous, Far Cry, some 4x games, some RTS, my tastes are varied. So what do you guys think? I wanted to hear from people who have used similar monitors. Thanks in advance for any help!

I have an Asus 29inch ultra wide love it, and an LG 25inch ultrawide in my second rig, love it too.

For gaming I recomend it, unless you play tournaments for actual money, but for regular gaming FPS, RTS, Movies, Pictures anything I DO think ultrawide/IPS is better

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

Benq 2420z . If you mainly play fps games you'll benefit from from the reduced motion blur. IPS is nice and all but for fps games Id rather have no motion blur. Im a competitive gamer tho. So while its totally worth it for me  it may not be for you. I'd never touch a 60hz panel again after going 120hz. I never did get the viewing angle debate as your sitting infront of your damn monitor anyway. If you want to view it from diff angle get a damn TV  :P  My 2 cents.

Lol motion blur...

The monitor isn't responsible for motion blur.

haha Umm go do some research come back then tell me that again.

That is perceived motion blur... 

They said it themselves, they used a pursuit camera for a timed exposure shot.

The frames themselves don't display any stretched or blurred objects.

144Hz panel, enable motion blur in the game, holy shit I see motion blur!

lol I wont argue with you, there's less motion blur on 120/144hz panels. Please prove that I'm wrong.  You haven't shown or told me anything.So until then friend . Have a nice day. Sorry OP.

lol I wont argue with you, there's less motion blur on 120/144hz panels. Please prove that I'm wrong. You haven't shown or told me anything.So until then friend . Have a nice day. Sorry OP.

I was worried debate would ensue, lol. But I appreciate the view points. I do think waiting to see what free sync has to offer is a good idea. And even though I haven't had the joy of trying a 120hz or more monitor, I do know the benefits, and would appreciate those benefits. But also, ultra wide let's you see so much more though as well.