does CPU matter on gaming?

I'm just wondering how much a CPU will affect gaming performance?

I'm torn between an AMD Vishera FX-8370E and an Intel Core i5-4460, seeing as they are similarly priced, but with the 8370 having a higher bench mark on cpubenchmark.net.

what makes me think of considering the 4460 is that someone told me that it's better for gaming and such.

I plan on building a PC that's good for video editing and better for gaming, I thought the whole time that the gaming aspect would just depend on the graphics card.

so if the rest of the components were the same (or similar) what would be the best choice?

For fx you will need better cooling and motherboard that would bring it price much higher. Go with i5.

Gaming and rendering both highly depend on gpu and cpu.

CPU matters a lot, especially at lower resolutions (aka 1080p/1440p) but not so much at higher ones like 4k. 

Anyways, a 4460 is much better for gaming than a 8370. 

(similar to a locked 4670, 4570, etc)

http://www.hardcoreware.net/intel-core-i3-4340-review/2/

http://www.hardwarepal.com/2014/09/28/best-cpu-gaming-9-processors-8-games-tested/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-fx-8370e-cpu,3929-7.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8427/amd-fx-8370e-cpu-review-vishera-95w/3

RIP in pepperonis m8s

If video editing is part of the plan I would say go amd, intel is better for gaming and cpu matters. Games that use less threads will run miles better on the intel cpu but games like battlefield that use all the threads should have a slight advantage over the i5. If not roughly the same performance. But most games you will certainly get less out of it than the i5.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

For fx you will need better cooling and motherboard that would bring it price much higher. Go with i5.

Gaming and rendering both highly depend on gpu and cpu.

lol nice joke, Fx more expencive mobos than i5 lol

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

For just gaming with no overclocking, go with the I5. If you're video editing, rendering, streaming, recording and all that go with a FX 8320 and a 970 board. You can still oc the CPU to like 4.1 pretty easy on 970 and you aren't really going to see a big FPS drop in games.

If you're video editing, rendering, streaming, recording and all that go with a FX 8320 and a 970 board. 

Or you can stream with quicksync and record with shadowplay/AMD's "GVR" and see virtually no performance loss compared to a 8370.

For video editing the 8370 does pull ahead though, but if you're gaming 50%+ of the time, I would still go with a 4460. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

lol nice joke, Fx more expencive mobos than i5 lol

For that i5 he could get mobo for 40-50$ or less. For fx with 990fx chipset he needs at least 100$, if he goes with 970 than at least 60$.

There is also cooling aspect

For that i5 he could get mobo for 40-50$. For fx with 990fx chipset he needs at least 100$

send me a good 50 i5 mobo

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

Yeah it does quite a lot i think it mostly stops lag ingame

I didn't know what to put here...

Or you can stream with quicksync and record with shadowplay/AMD's "GVR" and see virtually no performance loss compared to a 8370.

For video editing the 8370 does pull ahead though, but if you're gaming 50%+ of the time, I would still go with a 4460. 

Intel quicksync makes streams look REALLY fuzzy and can make streams drop frames due to how it encodes. Its better just straight off the CPU. 

If you are doing a lot more gaming than video editing, the 4460.

If you are doing gaming and video editing quite equally, the 8370.

For that i5 he could get mobo for 40-50$ or less. For fx with 990fx chipset he needs at least 100$, if he goes with 970 than at least 60$.

There is also cooling aspect

Who said 990?

I'm just wondering how much a CPU will affect gaming performance?

I'm torn between an AMD Vishera FX-8370E and an Intel Core i5-4460, seeing as they are similarly priced, but with the 8370 having a higher bench mark on cpubenchmark.net.

what makes me think of considering the 4460 is that someone told me that it's better for gaming and such.

I plan on building a PC that's good for video editing and better for gaming, I thought the whole time that the gaming aspect would just depend on the graphics card.

so if the rest of the components were the same (or similar) what would be the best choice?

OP how much are you looking to spend on a full set up? 

For just gaming with no overclocking, go with the I5. If you're video editing, rendering, streaming, recording and all that go with a FX 8320 and a 970 board. You can still oc the CPU to like 4.1 pretty easy on 970 and you aren't really going to see a big FPS drop in games.

I think this sums it up, but I woild go with a 990fx board like this one-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157479

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

Intel quicksync makes streams look REALLY fuzzy and can make streams drop frames due to how it encodes. Its better just straight off the CPU. 

Really? In my tests I haven't noticed a difference in image quality vs x264, I even made a video on it for YouTube. 

Maybe it's different just for livestreaming?

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Really? In my tests I haven't noticed a difference in image quality vs x264, I even made a video on it for YouTube. 

Maybe it's different just for livestreaming?

Luke did a video on quick sync when the haswell launched I think. But from watching livestreams a lot, its pretty easy to tell when someone is using quicksync and when they are just x264.

Luke did a video on quick sync when the haswell launched I think. But from watching livestreams a lot, its pretty easy to tell when someone is using quicksync and when they are just x264.

Didn't he say the image quality was only slightly worse? 

I wish I could test it for livestreaming but with .76 upload it's kinda hard lol

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Now you mention 990fx too

I was replaying to someone who recommended a MoBo from 990fx. If OP is trying to save money then yes, go with 970 every day of the week, you wont see much of a difference. But I shared what I would I would personally get.  

I say go with the i5. You have the option to upgrade to an 4790K in the future which runs circles around the 8370E.