does CPU matter on gaming?

Didn't he say the image quality was only slightly worse? 

I wish I could test it for livestreaming but with .76 upload it's kinda hard lol

I wish someone I knew had a CPU that supports quicksync.. lol Im the only one that has a intel CPU and its a core 2 quad :P

I was replaying to someone who recommended a MoBo from 990fx. If OP is trying to save money then yes, go with 970 every day of the week, you wont see much of a difference. But I shared what I would I would personally get.  

Sorry I missed context of your reply to that post.

But you have to admit that for fx 83xx adequate mobo is more expensive than for that i5 that would work with no problem with lower end mobo.

the best choice is the i5 4460 with a cheap mobo and don`t use that horrible site or gpu boss and sites like that

Sorry I missed context of your reply to that post.

But you have to admit that for fx 83xx adequate mobo is more expensive than for that i5 that would work with no problem with lower end mobo.

well OP can spend $500 US on a good overclocking MOBO, a R9 290 from asus, a 8320E, and a CM Hyper 212 evo fro $500 before rebates. After rebates its $451.

A I5 build that cant be OCed on a none x97 chipset, (No ocing a 4670K if OP upgrades) will cost $508 before rebates and $471 after.

AMD: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CHkYwP

Intel: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mnWk8d

Now I only chose the 290 since its a hell of a lot cheaper than a 970 and the preform very close at 1080P

I'm just wondering how much a CPU will affect gaming performance?

I'm torn between an AMD Vishera FX-8370E and an Intel Core i5-4460, seeing as they are similarly priced, but with the 8370 having a higher bench mark on cpubenchmark.net.

what makes me think of considering the 4460 is that someone told me that it's better for gaming and such.

I plan on building a PC that's good for video editing and better for gaming, I thought the whole time that the gaming aspect would just depend on the graphics card.

so if the rest of the components were the same (or similar) what would be the best choice?

go with the core i5 it's better for gaming...also you can upgrade to more powerful cpu in the future if you need to.

i would suggest you go with this, the i5-4460 is an haswell refresh cpu therefore if you wan't to make sure it works out of the box you'll need an H97

motherboard, those boards are also better and offers more features and should support broadwell sku's (not money in the drain).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($172.94 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.78 @ Newegg)

Total: $247.72

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 07:27 EST-0500

If somehow you have 7$ more to spend i would strongly suggest you step up to this board instead, it's worth it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Now you mention 990fx too

wheres that $50 good i5 mobo

Buy my yoga 2 pro!  http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/2711-lenovo-yoga-2-pro-i7-4510u-8gb-ram-4k-btc-accepted/

[spoiler=Trumps Wall

]AMD FX 8320 OC@ 4.4 GHZ GPUamd sapphire 7950RAM: 12GB CORSAIR XMS3 Psu: Corsair cx 500m CASE: Corsair 800d MOBO: Asrock 970 extreme 3 r2 Storage: 256GB mx100 SSD, 1TB WD Blue,1tb Seagate Barracuda in Raid 0, 750GB Seagate Baracude. Os Windows 7
CPU: AMD A-10 5800k RAM: 4GB DDR3 Storage:Random drives Mobo:msi SomthingCase: good question   

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

YES.

Nuff said.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

OP how much are you looking to spend on a full set up? 

about $800, but the current build I have set up now is at about $900, but I'm still a noob and want to get cheaper stuff if they're still good. But if it's still gonna be above $800 I can find a way to make the money as long as it's worth it. and BTW the video editing isn't gonna be like 3d rendering or anything fancy, just basic videos like indie films or whatnot

I say go with the i5. You have the option to upgrade to an 4790K in the future which runs circles around the 8370E.

to add info, I'm planning on buying a CPU that would last for a long long time then just upgrade the GPU (if that makes sense), so upgrading to a 4790k isn't in the options for me as of now, especially if it won't really give much help in my video editing (since it's just simple editing no bells and whistles). But if you'll tell me that it'll make a big leap forward with my gaming then I'm all ears.

to add info, I'm planning on buying a CPU that would last for a long long time then just upgrade the GPU (if that makes sense), so upgrading to a 4790k isn't in the options for me as of now, especially if it won't really give much help in my video editing (since it's just simple editing no bells and whistles). But if you'll tell me that it'll make a big leap forward with my gaming then I'm all ears.

Ah. Then you should definitely try to save up for an 4690K. An 8370E won't last as it WILL bottleneck high end GPU's in games that aren't multi core friendly (which is majority of the games). Any GPU higher than an 280X/770 will get bottlenecked. The intel route won't be cheap though. As you may want to get into overclock to extend the lifespan of the CPU. For that you'll need a Z97 which isn't cheap. One of the best budget Z97 board is the Asus Z97-A which costs $135. I can almost promise you in terms of gaming, the 4690K will outlast the 8370E by a long long shot.

Ah. Then you should definitely try to save up for an 4690K. An 8370E won't last as it WILL bottleneck high end GPU's in games that aren't multi core friendly (which is majority of the games). Any GPU higher than an 280X/770 will get bottlenecked. The intel route won't be cheap though. As you may want to get into overclock to extend the lifespan of the CPU. For that you'll need a Z97 which isn't cheap. One of the best budget Z97 board is the Asus Z97-A which costs $135. I can almost promise you in terms of gaming, the 4690K will outlast the 8370E by a long long shot.

wat? I know a few people who have 290's and one with two 780TI's in a 8350 build and there is no bottleneck at all.. It takes a hell of a lot to bottleneck most modern CPU's.

You dont need good mobo for that i5 as you need for fx 8370

that i5 is not demanding high end mobo as 8370

You can't really know how long things will last. A Sandy Bridge i5 from January 2011 is still an incredible gaming CPU 4 years later. But who knows? Maybe hexacore becomes the Intel standard in 2 years and then even an i7-4790k will be behind the times.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c7WWt6

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c7WWt6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($45.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $215.97

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 15:25 EST-0500

There is also a $35 one from Asus, the only difference is 2 SIMMs instead of 4. Both motherboards are excellent and offer you upgrade paths to Xeon/i7 if necessary.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I was replaying to someone who recommended a MoBo from 990fx. If OP is trying to save money then yes, go with 970 every day of the week, you wont see much of a difference. But I shared what I would I would personally get.  

may I ask whats difference in performance brought by a 990 and a 970?

may I ask whats difference in performance brought by a 990 and a 970?

990FX has support for SLi/CF thanks to more PCI-E lanes

but the main difference which seperates the 990 from the 970 is the suppport for crazy OC on the 8350 and support for the 9590

if you try to install the 9590 onto a 970

say bye bye to your mobo

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

990FX has support for SLi/CF thanks to more PCI-E lanes

but the main difference which seperates the 990 from the 970 is the suppport for crazy OC on the 8350 and support for the 9590

if you try to install the 9590 onto a 970

say bye bye to your mobo

so what would be a better investment? going with the AMD with the 990 mobo or the intel with the mobo that the others recommended? while considering on both that I might upgrade to either a 9590 or a 4790k

so what would be a better investment? going with the AMD with the 990 mobo or the intel with the mobo that the others recommended? while considering on both that I might upgrade to either a 9590 or a 4790k

if you compare the price of the 8370 + AIO cooler and 990FX mobo

CPU: AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($169.97 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($111.96 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $356.92

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 00:57 EST-0500

for the same price i can get you this

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.98 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $359.96

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 00:59 EST-0500

Intel i5 will kill the FX even with both OC in any applications and games

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The i5, by far.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

if you compare the price of the 8370 + AIO cooler and 990FX mobo

CPU: AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($169.97 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($111.96 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $356.92

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 00:57 EST-0500

for the same price i can get you this

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.98 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $359.96

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-12 00:59 EST-0500

Intel i5 will kill the FX even with both OC in any applications and games

I can't seem to find a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus... instead there's the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Turbo Edition

Will any of those be good enough or do I need the plus to get the most of the rig?

I can't seem to find a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus... instead there's the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Turbo Edition

Will any of those be good enough or do I need the plus to get the most of the rig?

yea that cooler is decent for both AMD and Intel

lets you run the CPU much cooler than the stock

yea that cooler is decent for both AMD and Intel

lets you run the CPU much cooler than the stock

and can you recommend a different mobo? I can't find the one you recommended as well

and can you recommend a different mobo? I can't find the one you recommended as well

ok where is you location?

does your shop have this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97ssliplus

similar to the Krait only the color is different

ok where is you location?

does your shop have this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97ssliplus

similar to the Krait only the color is different

I'm in the Philippines

I can't find that one as well...

the only MSI Z97 mobos I could find are

MSI Z97 G55 SLI

MSI Z97 Gaming 3

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

MSI Z97 Gaming 7

MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC

MSI Z97 GUARD-PRO

MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC

MSI Z97 PC Mate

MSI Z97 XPOWER AC

MSI Z97I AC

MSI Z97I Gaming AC

MSI Z97M Gaming

of course there are other Z97 mobos from other manufacturers but you recommend MSI so I'm guessing it's the best bang for the buck