Why do people hate Norton and/or Symantec?

Alir

Why do people hate Norton? Why is it unpopular?

I find Norton has always protected me and served me well.

What advantages do programs like AVG, Avast have over Norton?

I didn't hear of people hating it...I just don't use it since it costs something

it does the same things as free antivirus and is just generally annoying, trying to get you to buy it all the time

First Build:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Black          GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming@1050/1500         CPU: i5 4570          Motherboard: ASUS H81I Plus          PSU: Corsair CX600          RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT         Cooling: 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Intake; Corsair AF140 Rear Exuast; 2x120mm Stock Case Fans Top Exuast        Storage: WD Blue 1TB          OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

Why do people hate Norton? Why is it unpopular?

I find Norton has always protected me and served me well.

What advantages do programs like AVG, Avast have over Norton?

Because it's like cancer, you can't get rid of it without a special tool, it hogs your CPU like a benchmark, and it' not any better than the lighter weight and free alternatives, it's also really bloated. The business solution on the other hand is pretty good.

It's not the best and doesn't protect against everything (my friends experience). MWB + BitDefender are cheaper and better.

Oh, also - if anyone wants it then on G2A there's Norton 360 for 180 days for $2-3.. Though I swear by BitDefender and MWB

------------ Current Build ------------

i5-3470@3.2GHz - EVGA 660Ti 2GB - 8GB Wam - ASUS P8Z77 - 3.5TB HDD's - 250GB Kingston SSD

Razer Naga 2014 - Corsair K70 - Logitech G930 - Blue Yeti - Wacom TouchPad - Steelseries Mat - Surface 2

it does the same things as free antivirus and is just generally annoying, trying to get you to buy it all the time

Norton has never given be pop ups begging to buy.

In fact, I am now using the free version of Avast and it gives me pop ups I never asked for, like telling me to buy their VPN service.

Unless you use the free version? Ironically I'm using the free version of Avast as well.

still, I have never found anything annoying about Norton.

Though Norton 360 did encrypt my SSD for a year, on my now broken laptop, with its tuneup feature without telling me.

Because it's like cancer, you can't get rid of it without a special tool, it hogs your CPU like a benchmark, and it' not any better than the lighter weight and free alternatives, it's also really bloated. The business solution on the other hand is pretty good.

How is it bloated?

Norton has always ever been a single software.

It never invades my browser - I use Firefox and DuckDuckGo.

You can uninstall software from the control panel.

Are you saying that doesn't completely uninstall norton? It has for me.

It's not the best and doesn't protect against everything (my friends experience). MWB + BitDefender are cheaper and better.

Oh, also - if anyone wants it then on G2A there's Norton 360 for 180 days for $2-3.. Though I swear by BitDefender and MWB

Malwarebytes always kicks AV ass.

what's so great about bitdefender?

Because it costs money, eats up CPU usage, comes up with a lot of false (readings? You know what I mean) and doesn't do any better than other free AV like AVG. 

Why pay for something that wont do any better than something that's free?

Malwarebytes deals with malware, not viruses.

I love BitDefender, it's a reliable AntiVirus and has picked everything up.

I run it with MalwareBytes though. Right now BitDefender is #1 rated on security.

------------ Current Build ------------

i5-3470@3.2GHz - EVGA 660Ti 2GB - 8GB Wam - ASUS P8Z77 - 3.5TB HDD's - 250GB Kingston SSD

Razer Naga 2014 - Corsair K70 - Logitech G930 - Blue Yeti - Wacom TouchPad - Steelseries Mat - Surface 2

In fact, I am now using the free version of Avast and it gives me pop ups I never asked for, like telling me to buy their VPN service.

Unless you use the free version? Ironically I'm using the free version of Avast as well.

Though Norton 360 did encrypt my SSD for a year, on my now broken laptop, with its tuneup feature without telling me.

I guess many people hate Norton because many years ago the software was so bloated, it make the computer slow. It's better nowadays but still not quite lightweight. 

I'm using free version of Avast as well but it never give me popup to buy stuffs. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

How is it bloated?

Norton has always ever been a single software.

It never invades my browser - I use Firefox and DuckDuckGo.

You can uninstall software from the control panel.

Are you saying that doesn't completely uninstall norton? It has for me.

It does invade browsers, it is also bloated with a system monitor tool amongst other thing, never have I ever been able to remove it from any computer without the special tool. The add-on was usually not updated to work after firefox started their new update schedule.

I have hated norton ever since it found a false positive in every single I had on my storage drive one time.  Started scan, came back an hour later, and every file on my storage drive was now broken, thanks to norton.  That and it was an insane resource hog, no idea if it still is.

Because it costs money, eats up CPU usage, comes up with a lot of false (readings? You know what I mean) and doesn't do any better than other free AV like AVG. 

Why pay for something that wont do any better than something that's free?

Malwarebytes deals with malware, not viruses.

You mean False Positives?

I know Malwarebytes deals with malware and not viruses. I meant what it does. It's always been less of a hassle for me than traditional AV software.

I love BitDefender, it's a reliable AntiVirus and has picked everything up.

I run it with MalwareBytes though. Right now BitDefender is #1 rated on security.

Where is Bitdefender rated #1 and by whom? I'd love to see a review on them :)

It does invade browsers, it is also bloated with a system monitor tool amongst other thing, never have I ever been able to remove it from any computer without the special tool. The add-on was usually not updated to work after firefox started their new update schedule.

The default uninstall removes Norton - when you click uninstall, a norton window opens up and removes itself from your computer.

I have hated norton ever since it found a false positive in every single I had on my storage drive one time.  Started scan, came back an hour later, and every file on my storage drive was now broken, thanks to norton.  That and it was an insane resource hog, no idea if it still is.

I've found Norton to sometimes give a false positive - they're all mods for games though. I just forward the file to symantec for review and they add it as an exception.

I did after my laptop breaking, look for free AV and chose AVG. AVG went to my dropbox backup and deleted all of my executables for the programs I coded. Fortunately Dropbox wasn't synced at that time.

I haven't used an anti virus for a year, I make sure to keep save information on an encrypted folder on a single drive. I know what to click and what not to click, do monthly checkups with avira but I always uninstall it even though I have access to the business version from my company. The best way for protection is abstinence from downloading junk

If you run out of your trial or paid version of Norton, I GUARANTEE it will prompt you on the daily to purchase a new renewal, giving you messages about your "PC is in danger" to try to scare the average comsumer back into renewing....

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Norton is a resource hogger, especially on lower end computers.

*cough**cough* laptop

What the hey....