Why does Razer have a bad rep?

yourdad165

Yeah something like that. But what really matters to me is the looks or performance.

I bought an S340 because it was simple and elegant, not because it was advertised or had cool lights and features.

I guess some people like green lights or the razer logo too though...

Sounds cool, that's one reason I like Razer. The colour matches my stuff but I never thought of just focusing purely on build quality and features. I usually look at lights, specifications, and switch type.

At that point I was already displeased enough with the experience of owning

and using the mouse. I decided to take it back to the store I bought it and

request an exchange for another product - as a result I now have a Corsair

Vengeance M65 mouse.

In the end, my determination was that the mouse itself was very poor. The

buttons were altogether far too easy to activate and in the end proved to

be too delicate for extended use, the plastics used for the mouse's casing

were far too cheap-feeling and easy to mark and scratch, and the sensor

proved to be unreliable. My experience may have been nothing more or

less than an unlucky one, but for me personally it was bad enough to

make me stick to Logitech from now on.

I will say however - the one saving grace for Razer in my opinion

surprisingly is their software. I have found so far that Razer Synapse is

simply superior to other applications from the likes of Logitech and Corsair.

Especially when it comes to setting up macros - I miss how easy it was to

set up and edit macro functions on my Deathadder...

Wow, thanks for the honest review. I like their software too and some people are saying it's terrible. I guess it just comes down to finding a company that you specifically like and sticking to it. It's like how when I tried Corsair my first experience didn't go too well either. However I'm not going to let my experience stop me from appreciating their products. They are in fact good quality products. Like I said though, they're software could use some serious work.

Thanks for that comment, it helps out a lot for people trying to decide on what product they want to go with.

Corsair is quite superb for their mouses aren't they?

Wow, thanks for the honest review. I like their software too and some people are saying it's terrible. I guess it just comes down to finding a company that you specifically like and sticking to it. It's like how when I tried Corsair my first experience didn't go too well either. However I'm not going to let my experience stop me from appreciating their products. They are in fact good quality products. Like I said though, they're software could use some serious work.

Thanks for that comment, it helps out a lot for people trying to decide on what product they want to go with.

Corsair is quite superb for their mouses aren't they?

No problem. :)

I would say that my impression of Corsair so far is pretty good hardware wise. My M65 is

very solidly built, and it feels remarkably comfortable considering how small it is in

comparison to the size of my hand. (The M65 is quite small for me) The sensor seems to

be very solid - it's my go-to mouse when I'm playing Counter-Strike GO, in fact. The only

downside I have with it so far is that the software is quite limited. You can create macros

which involve keyboard keys, but not mouse keys, for example.

But in spite of the software's current limitations, I'm happy with my mouse. It's comfortable

and very responsive, the buttons are all nice and clicky as a good mouse button should

be and the LEDs are nicely understated. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

No problem. :)

I would say that my impression of Corsair so far is pretty good hardware wise. My M65 is

very solidly built, and it feels remarkably comfortable considering how small it is in

comparison to the size of my hand. (The M65 is quite small for me) The sensor seems to

be very solid - it's my go-to mouse when I'm playing Counter-Strike GO, in fact. The only

downside I have with it so far is that the software is quite limited. You can create macros

which involve keyboard keys, but not mouse keys, for example.

But in spite of the software's current limitations, I'm happy with my mouse. It's comfortable

and very responsive, the buttons are all nice and clicky as a good mouse button should

be and the LEDs are nicely understated. :)

Sounds good, I might try Corsair mice next. I've used Corsair PSUs but I'm not sure if EVGA beTs them for that. I think every company specializes in something. I wish I had unlimited money so I could try them all lol.

Not going with Razer again because of my Synapse experience. The almighty overlay for the Naga doesn't even work. about 90% of the time, my profiles won't engage or the DPI will get messed up.

Logitech Gaming Software has never given me an issue, so that adds to the value of Logitech gaming gear substantially for me.

Corsair's new software is the thing keeping me from getting a K70 RGB. i'm much more inclined to get the old K70 so I don't need to deal with the bullshit.

Git Gud.

But it really is. It's absolutely trash.

How? It's more comfortable than the regular Kraken and the sound quality is great. I mean it's nothing compared to Bose but it's decent for a gaming headset. The durability on it is good too, ask pewdiepie. I'm sure his had hit the ground too many times and it's still fine lol.

No but in all seriousness it's a decent headset with moderate sound quality and great durability. It's good for what it's supposed to do.

Not going with Razer again because of my Synapse experience. The almighty overlay for the Naga doesn't even work. about 90% of the time, my profiles won't engage or the DPI will get messed up.

Logitech Gaming Software has never given me an issue, so that adds to the value of Logitech gaming gear substantially for me.

Corsair's new software is the thing keeping me from getting a K70 RGB. i'm much more inclined to get the old K70 so I don't need to deal with the bullshit.

Logitech does have good software don't they? I wouldn't recommend getting a K70 RGB right now if you're not willing to deal with loads of software issues. Trust me I just returned mine lol. It's a great keyboard though. I liked it, but the software glitches out way too much to make the $200 I spent on it worth it.

How? It's more comfortable than the regular Kraken and the sound quality is great. I mean it's nothing compared to Bose but it's decent for a gaming headset. The durability on it is good too, ask pewdiepie. I'm sure his had hit the ground too many times and it's still fine lol.

No but in all seriousness it's a decent headset with moderate sound quality and great durability. It's good for what it's supposed to do.

First, 7.1 surround is a gimmick. And second, it sounds like trash and Bose is meh at best. The problem with audio is that you don't know there's anything better until you've tried it. Invest in some Superlux headphones or some other actually good headphones and you will be surprised. Also they are less durable than any real headphone. 

First, 7.1 surround is a gimmick. And second, it sounds like trash and Bose is meh at best. The problem with audio is that you don't know there's anything better until you've tried it. Invest in some Superlux headphones or some other actually good headphones and you will be surprised. Also they are less durable than any real headphone.

I've never heard of Superlux, I wouldn't mind a new pair of headphones. I will look them up, thanks. :)

Logitech does have good software don't they? I wouldn't recommend getting a K70 RGB right now if you're not willing to deal with loads of software issues. Trust me I just returned mine lol. It's a great keyboard though. I liked it, but the software glitches out way too much to make the $200 I spent on it worth it.

Yeah if I get anything Corsair it will be the old K70 with Brown switches. The new RGB tech doesn't justify anything.

I think I'll wait on the new Logitech board, but it's too "razer" for me. Looks like a toy, not a piece of equipment.

Git Gud.

I've never heard of Superlux, I wouldn't mind a new pair of headphones. I will look them up, thanks. :)

They are usually the go to headphones for people that don't want to spend a lot of money on headphones. They're kind of like the gateway drug...for headphones...lol. The only one that I would stay away from is the HD681. It has some sharp highs that were fixed in the evo version. 

Yeah if I get anything Corsair it will be the old K70 with Brown switches. The new RGB tech doesn't justify anything.

I think I'll wait on the new Logitech board, but it's too "razer" for me. Looks like a toy, not a piece of equipment.

I saw that and in my opinion it looked cheaper than the Razer switches. They apparently felt like membrane keys according to a guy on YouTube who I think May have been from China.

They are usually the go to headphones for people that don't want to spend a lot of money on headphones. They're kind of like the gateway drug...for headphones...lol. The only one that I would stay away from is the HD681. It has some sharp highs that were fixed in the evo version.

Oh, okay. I looked at them, and they look surprisingly well-built for such a low price. Tomorrow I will probably do more research on them.

Lol, I accidentally double posted this thread. Thanks for the comment though. I know people say their stuff breaks but so can any product.

Razer more so than most things.

I think it is best to divide Razer products in catagories, I have owned multiple and still own 2 products of Razer, my experience, Headsets are shit, Keyboards differentiate alot (Blackwidow with or without cherrymx switches) and mice are the same story.

My own experience :

Kraken pro : Mic sounds like I'm grinding my beard against it (even tho I don't have one), sold this one secondhand.

Megaladon : Mic sounds like I'm grinding my beard against it, died within 2 weeks

Blackwidow (2013?, cherry mx blues) : still works to this day, and I'm still using it.

Naga (2013, I think) : side buttons stopped functioning after 1 day of WoW arenas ( and no I do not button bash them)

Ouroboros : Still works, never failed me.

Overpriced and ugly, although the new products are slightly better looking compared to their old ones. They also do some pretty annoying things, most recently switching from Cherry MX switches to their own, cheaper Kailh based switches, and not even lowering the price (in most stores they've gone up even).

They do have a few great products though. Razer DeathAdder has been a stable in the "flawless optical sensor" market and Razer's surround software is great if you need surround for headphones/-set.

Overpriced and ugly, although the new products are slightly better looking compared to their old ones. They also do some pretty annoying things, most recently switching from Cherry MX switches to their own, cheaper Kailh based switches, and not even lowering the price (in most stores they've gone up even).

They do have a few great products though. Razer DeathAdder has been a stable in the "flawless optical sensor" market and Razer's surround software is great if you need surround for headphones/-set.

That's entirely subjective obviously. The fact of the matter is, most of their products feel cheap. The razer demographic is mostly young kids. Why else would they be releasing a chroma line? If razer made products without the stupid leds and focused on build quality instead, I would happily purchase more products from them.

edited for late night typo derpness.

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

i would consider Mad Catz it's the expensive Products not Razer

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

Razer used to make really good products. Sadly it has become worse over the lasts 5 years or so. The old Diamondback and the old Salmosa were really high quality mice back then, but they just haven't improved as much as other companies did.

When i look at a naga a 80€ mouse and compare the quality to a g502 -  a 70€ mouse, i can say that the few extra buttons aren't worth the lack of high quality material.

Sure the Blackwidow is a good keyboard even with the new Razerswitches ( i use one myself cause i got it fo 50 bucks), but for the retail price of it you just get much better products from Logitech, Ducky, Corsair.... with Cherry MX switches (german engineering).

I searched more than 5 years for a new mouse, probably owning every Razer mouse that came out with a pricetag under 100 bucks, but none of them even comes close to the quality of the G502 i bought yesterday. Yes Razer products look better, but to be honest i rather have a ugly looking mouse and keyboard that were high quality and durable, than a good looking design. Also noone can confirm the lifespan of the new Razerswitches. Cherry MX has been around for a really long time now, and people can confirm the quality and the durability of them.

If you like Razer go on and buy Razer products. I used to do the same, because the old mice from them were really top-notch and i still saw them through rose-coloured glasses. However keep in mind that there are better products for the same price.

That's why I often refer Razer as the Beats of gaming ;D

I saw that you liked the sound quality of the Kraken. It pretty much is Bass only, the 7.1 is a software gimmick which you can create with every other normal 5.1 headset and the sound quality is really bad. 0 mids and highs. Anything other than electronical music is a pain to listen to at this headphones. A friend of mine always tells me how good they are. I gave him my 30$ superlux headphones with a mic i attached to it and he hasn't switched back since..

My Razer mouse has broken three times now and I will probably have to use it three more times so I can claim a refund from OCUK. It's a Naga Hex and is generally a shitty mouse. It gets sticky, it's heavy and more often than not it will get muck on it's feet and the sensor fails more often than not.

Synapse is just useless. It's a hopeless utility that will always pop-up at launch for some reason. Also, the braided cable is a bit short for my liking and the wheel is the most uncomfortable component I have ever used on a mouse.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

The Razer Kraken 7.1 isn't too bad though.

Lol, razer fan xD... you look like a razer representative

They present themselves unprofessionally before. For example they say the Razer Kraken is the most comfortable headset in the world. If that's true my ears wouldn't feel like they're going to fall off when I'm done gaming.

Corsair stuff or Ducky is better build quality. However it comes to a point where you have to ask yourself. "How rough am I going to be with a keyboard?"

If you use a keyboard like this, i'm pretty sure the Razer keyboard will broke after two week:

If you use a keyboard like this, i'm pretty sure the Razer keyboard will broke after two week:

I was expecting him to hulk smash it. Disappointing...

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8