Which Laptop For College Programming Course?

Root

Haha all I'm saying is that there's no way that a core i7 is a prereq for many undergrad CS classes. 

nonetheless, I still stand by my Lenovo y50 selection. Laptop is a beauty. If you don't care for the UHD (which it's not perfect on this laptop) you can grab the 1080p version and swap out the TN panel for a much better IPS panel. 

Haha all I'm saying is that there's no way that a core i7 is a prereq for many undergrad CS classes. 

nonetheless, I still stand by my Lenovo y50 selection. Laptop is a beauty. If you don't care for the UHD (which it's not perfect on this laptop) you can grab the 1080p version and swap out the TN panel for a much better IPS panel. 

If you don't believe me then check it here, http://www.durhamcollege.ca/programs/computer-programmer-two-year#laptop_hardware_and_software_requirements Also, I do agree with you but if it comes with a UHD display then why not? I'm waiting for a email reply from the college about the i7 requirement.

Another reason for getting the Macbook Pro (from a programmer's perspective) is you get the ecosystem for developing iOS or OSX if you're interested later on.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Ever heard of video editing or rendering? Yes we do those at university too.

You trolling brah?

Did you even read what the OP is going to use the computer for?

And yeah, I know people do that kind of thing in college, it's just that computer programming has nothing to do with arts or anything that CPU/GPU intensive.

Bur rarely these days you are on a course (even computer engineering) where you don't get all flavors of software development. I'm on computer games technology, and in first year I've made a website, some reports about society and presentation slides about development. Now I have to make a game, game, multiplayer game and report about mathematics involved in games.

Anyway, I feel like being "just" a programmer with 0 knowledge in any other things involved in your area of interest is excluding you from that profession.

You trolling brah?

In 5 years of computer engineering, on three different universities, wouldn't have mattered which computer I used for studying/reports/assignments as long as it was not garbage. My laptop has a 3rd gen i7 without hyperthreading but I'm pretty sure that even an i3 would have handled what I needed all this time.

Your major is closer to design, story writing and high level programming, probably not what the OP is getting into. He said computer programming so I'm guessing a major in computer science or computer systems. So yeah, he probably won't get close to video/image rendering, graphics intensive calculations and high-level, 3D programming such as Game Maker, Unity or Unreal engines unless he switches major or takes some extra classes. A 4th gen i5 will be more than enough.

That feeling of being only a programmer is really common. That's why any student in any major related to computer science has to take the next step and study things on their own. I'm pretty sure game development won't teach you some lower level stuff so you gotta try to learn it by yourself. It'll be really benefitial when competing with other people for jobs as companies are always looking for people that have something different.

If you don't believe me then check it here, http://www.durhamcollege.ca/programs/computer-programmer-two-year#laptop_hardware_and_software_requirements Also, I do agree with you but if it comes with a UHD display then why not? I'm waiting for a email reply from the college about the i7 requirement.

I don't think anyone ever said they didn't believe you, it's just that such a thing is not needed, the school is just exaggerating.

I took a look at the course list & descriptions and, again, you won't ever need something that powerful. If you don't want to get an i7, you don't have to. The only thing that might make them say you would need an i7 is for the Operating Systems class which might need some virtual machines and whatnot... with that, as others have suggested, get a Mac.

It's really easy to install Windows and Linux/Unix, OS X is based on Unix which also might be helpful for Database class and I just can't tell you how much you'll regret not getting one. I had never fooled around with Macs until I realized how awesome they can be for a computer science student.

Good luck.

Another reason for getting the Macbook Pro (from a programmer's perspective) is you get the ecosystem for developing iOS or OSX if you're interested later on.

One more point to Macs.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

You trolling brah?

You trolling brah?

In 5 years of computer engineering, on three different universities, wouldn't have mattered which computer I used for studying/reports/assignments as long as it was not garbage. My laptop has a 3rd gen i7 without hyperthreading but I'm pretty sure that even an i3 would have handled what I needed all this time.

Your major is closer to design, story writing and high level programming, probably not what the OP is getting into. He said computer programming so I'm guessing a major in computer science or computer systems. So yeah, he probably won't get close to video/image rendering, graphics intensive calculations and high-level, 3D programming such as Game Maker, Unity or Unreal engines unless he switches major or takes some extra classes. A 4th gen i5 will be more than enough.

That feeling of being only a programmer is really common. That's why any student in any major related to computer science has to take the next step and study things on their own. I'm pretty sure game development won't teach you some lower level stuff so you gotta try to learn it by yourself. It'll be really benefitial when competing with other people for jobs as companies are always looking for people that have something different.

One more point to Macs.

You enjoy repeating yourself?

And you seem to consider computer games course very trivial and strangely away from proper programming, while its one of the few areas that requires immense amounts of optimization and high performance from low level programming, study the topic before you talk about it, we barely touched UDK for 1 assignment throughout 3 years. These aren't "design a 2D sprite for a game" courses.

Also, having many cores does help in compilation, with visual studio multi-project solution being a great example, where you can compile few projects at the same time thanks to the fact you have multiple cores, and with C++ you can go on multithreading path on project level as well.

I agree he doesn't need GPU power, strong integrated graphics will suffice and I assume he will move onto university which would only make it an investment if he buys something stronger.

I won't push it anymore, I can see some purists jumping on the train that will soon recommend him a linux distro and assembly as his first language. OP has very high budget for college equipment, I'd get high end equipment and strap metric butt ton of battery on it, but its his decision. 

All I see from that list is the requirement for virtualization, which most i5 and i7's do, and maybe some i3's, I'm not sure. 

Anyway, might as well get a MBP for many reasons. Reliability, and quality are top notch. The easy capability to run a windows VM (when needed). And just if money isn't an issue, an Apple computer would work. Maybe a Macbook Air if you don't really need a optical drive (you could always keep an external in a backpack). 

You enjoy repeating yourself?

And you seem to consider computer games course very trivial and strangely away from proper programming, while its one of the few areas that requires immense amounts of optimization and high performance from low level programming, study the topic before you talk about it, we barely touched UDK for 1 assignment throughout 3 years. These aren't "design a 2D sprite for a game" courses.

Also, having many cores does help in compilation, with visual studio multi-project solution being a great example, where you can compile few projects at the same time thanks to the fact you have multiple cores, and with C++ you can go on multithreading path on project level as well.

I agree he doesn't need GPU power, strong integrated graphics will suffice and I assume he will move onto university which would only make it an investment if he buys something stronger.

I won't push it anymore, I can see some purists jumping on the train that will soon recommend him a linux distro and assembly as his first language. OP has very high budget for college equipment, I'd get high end equipment and strap metric butt ton of battery on it, but its his decision. 

There are probably more than one computer games majors/courses out there so I talk about the ones I know of and know people studying it... so I won't study the topic, I'm not interested in it. If "high-level programming" is very trivial and away from proper programming, that's coming outta your mouth (fingers) as I didn't say that. No programming is easy, it all depends on how "deep" your are going.

And I love repeating myself so I'm just gonna stick to what I first said: the OP's college requiring a computer with "at least" an i7 for the course is complete bs and exaggeration. If money is not an issue, get the best laptop you can afford, but if you can find a better way to spend your money, don't bother with an i7, an i5 will suffice. Also, get a Mac.

I'm out.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

There are probably more than one computer games majors/courses out there so I talk about the ones I know of and know people studying it... so I won't study the topic, I'm not interested in it. If "high-level programming" is very trivial and away from proper programming, that's coming outta your mouth (fingers) as I didn't say that. No programming is easy, it all depends on how "deep" your are going.

And I love repeating myself so I'm just gonna stick to what I first said: the OP's college requiring a computer with "at least" an i7 for the course is complete bs and exaggeration. If money is not an issue, get the best laptop you can afford, but if you can find a better way to spend your money, don't bother with an i7, an i5 will suffice. Also, get a Mac.

I'm out.

"Your major is closer to design, story writing and high level programming" and " he probably won't get close to video/image rendering, graphics intensive calculations and high-level, 3D programming such as Game Maker, Unity or Unreal engines" - refering to games course.

I've never said high level programming is trivial. I'm saying that you trivialize the game development course by saying it focuses on working with fancy GUI software and click and drop interfaces (and that's away from proper programming), which I deduce is skewed by your game-excluded platform of choice.

I'd like to ask you which university degree is focusing on any of what I just quoted.

I first want to start off by saying I hope this is the right section. As this is a programming section and this is related to it, I thought it should be fine. If it isn't, then I'm really sorry and hopefully a moderator can move it to the correct section.

Next year I'm going to be going to college for computer programming. The course is based off of Windows so everything is in Windows. But, I'm unsure what laptop I need/want. So far, I have 3 options; Dell XPS 15, MacBook Pro 15", or some slim gaming laptop. The problem is, I don't want a gaming laptop. I know they're better but I don't want that option. I don't want that thought of "Well I can either do homework or play video games" as I can do that on my desktop, plus it has to be slim and light for traveling from home to college. The other problem is that I'm really interested in OS X and can learn programming languages for OS X and iOS on my free time. I also don't want a $1,000 laptop as this will have to last for for at least 2 or 3 years depending if I get in a 2 year or 3 year course, so price isn't an issue. If I went with a MacBook Pro though, I would be using Windows in Parallels or Boot Camp (whatever one is better).

What is your opinion on this? Should I get a MacBook Pro or should I stick with a Windows laptop?

Macbook Pro for not gaming and strictly school work, or you can get a Lenovo G50 If you can find the one that has an A8 in it then you can do some light gaming (World of Tanks, and Minecraft).

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Macbook Pro for not gaming and strictly school work, or you can get a Lenovo G50 If you can find the one that has an A8 in it then you can do some light gaming (World of Tanks, and Minecraft).

He's not after gaming on that laptop, read what he asks for.

@Root Regarding programming, you might work in Visual Studio/C#, meaning you'd have to get your hands on windows on top of a MacBook. Check with your teachers how your course will look like, and if nothing stands in the way and you like OSX, get one. Otherwise look at the y50/g50 and similar "large ultrabooks" (I'd personally look at 17+, but its preference).

I suggest you look at lenovo Thinkpads they are awesome.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Macs are waaaay easier to play with multiple OS boots and whatnot, probably. It's easier than Dell's or Gigabyte's that's for sure.

How bad was your experience?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

How bad was your experience?

Returned two Gigabyte laptops after "breaking" them after trying to install Ubuntu and Windows 7 on dual boot (bought win7).

On the Dell I just gave up and kept it then got a used mac air refurbished almost for free with everything I needed there.

All three are great laptops, I just returned the last Gigabyte and asked for a refund because there was a Dell on sale, else I'd have tried a third Gigabyte and not mess up with the OS.

Returned two Gigabyte laptops after "breaking" them after trying to install Ubuntu and Windows 7 on dual boot (bought win7).

On the Dell I just gave up and kept it then got a used mac air refurbished almost for free with everything I needed there.

All three are great laptops, I just returned the last Gigabyte and asked for a refund because there was a Dell on sale, else I'd have tried a third Gigabyte and not mess up with the OS.

I have a lenovo dual booted Mint with Windows no problem, I guess I'm lucky.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I have a lenovo dual booted Mint with Windows no problem, I guess I'm lucky.

Never owned a Lenovo... anyway, if I ever need a new laptop with multiple OS, I'll always go for a Mac... even though they are from Apple, when you find one for a good price, they are pretty good.

Never owned a Lenovo... anyway, if I ever need a new laptop with multiple OS, I'll always go for a Mac... even though they are from Apple, when you find one for a good price, they are pretty good.

Will you dual boot them or use bootcamp.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ