how important is airflow?

Phoenix70

Ive heard it can make or break your computer's temperatures; like on the gigabyte r9 285 ( i think that was the card) where the heatsink is open and air can be blown directly to it. But what about in something closed like an r9 290x reference card or hell a 780? What about the motherboard and CPU temps?

Ive heard it can make or break your computer's temperatures; like on the gigabyte r9 285 ( i think that was the card) where the heatsink is open and air can be blown directly to it. But what about in something closed like an r9 290x reference card or hell a 780? What about the motherboard and CPU temps?

Its important, but its not gonna make or break your system. Obviously you need abit of airflow, but have absolutely perfect airflow is not gonna affect temps by loads.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Don't listen to anyone else, airflow is not important at all. You can block your fans all you want! You can leave your PC right up against a wall to build up dust and block the exhaust altogether! If something bad happens, just blame it on the next person who tries to fix your PC. Tell them that they gave your PC a virus and you demand compensation!

I'm kidding, that's bullshit. Airflow is very important. You always want fresh air coming into the case or bad things will happen. Good temps for CPU's (on load) are >80C-ish. If it's anything above 80C then you need to investigate your cooling or even upgrade your cooling.

GPU temps (as far as I know) are good at >90C on load, but it's good to use V-sync of a frame limiting option in games so that your GPU doesn't render more frames than your monitor can display, leading to an overworked GPU.

The faster the cool air gets in and the hot air gets out, the better.

As @loccilucas said, it'll make a difference but it won't "make or break" it. I think that the important thing here is dust.

You definitely want to filter your intakes and, if possible, have a positive pressure for the lowest amount of dust possible.

Airflow depends on your case, your cpu/gpu cooling solution and your budget, so don't worry too much but take your time planning/doing it!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Depends on whether we talk good airflow or airflow all together. You can survive shit airflow, but no airflow is like no breathing.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Get the Corsair Air 540 and you will never have to worry about air flow. I plan on filling mine with 3000 rpm noctua industrial fans.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Inner-case temps are only somewhat important. Realistically you can run a computer fine in a 100+ degree Fahrenheit environment.

Most enthusiast cases (especially airflow optimized) can damn-near match case temp with room temps. 70 out 70 in, hardly ever an issue.

The only time problems occur are with flow restriction and temperature buildup. Air isn't very good at transferring heat and you can cycling effect when case-ambience gets too hot.

Air heats, transfers poorly, air heats more, transfers very poorly, air reaches scorching, nearly no heat transferred, components thermal throttle/shutdown.

This is mostly limited to 1) super dusty filters 2) laptops 3) enthusiast rigs within low-flow sound dampening cases.

Get the Corsair Air 540 and you will never have to worry about air flow. I plan on filling mine with 3000 rpm noctua industrial fans.

RIP ears

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

For me going for bad airflow case to current one lowered temps by 10C. Previous case had 1x80mm intake, additional space for 1x120mm intake on side and 1x120mm exhaust. Current has passive side, 200mm intake and 2 140mm exhaust on top.

As for components, how you setup your airflow to gain most depends on cooler types on GPU and CPU. With tower heatsinks airflow is bit more important than with rads, since latter are usually used as exhaust by themselves. With single tower heatsinks you can choose between rear and top exhaust, with dual towers you can even add extra intake with front top slot. Then there is stock cooler which is exhausting towards side panel. With that best solution would be adding side exhaust to aid it. But that is more depending if case has sidepanel slots.

With GPUs amount of cards is more important than cooler itself. All (correct me if I'm wrong) GPU cooler fans are intaking ones. With reference they are blower types which exhaust straight out of case. With aftermarket they exhaust all over the case. In both situations you want to have intake to aid them. This is usually either side slot or sometimes bottom.

Then there are components which either don't need extra help by airflow but have somewhat effect on it. HDDs and PSU. PSUs have own intaking fan. With top mounted PSUs you don't have choice how to position it, but with bottom mounted its either intake outside or inside. Outside intake is imo better as then it doesn't compete with GPU on fresh air. There is some exceptions with cases that have bottom side mounted PSU slots. As for HDDs, they are passively cooled by front intakes. As you see I didn't mention those earlier since they should always be there. Other fans can be swingled around but front should always be intake.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Without it your machine will be a hot box, with poor configured air flow it will also have hot spots. So air flow is quite critical for keeping the machine cool. Tho usually if you just slap in fans in the case where they belong flowing in the logical direction it's usually never a problem.

RIP ears

Surround sound, and headphones.

At first I thought that was a 540mm fan

That would be massive....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's important up to a certain extent...

You'd want air to at least flow through your case so that it can carry the heat out...

Too much airflow is not bad but there'll be faster dust buildup if there are no fan filters on your case...

Of course it's important. With reference cards it gets easier to manage because hot air gets exhausted right away. That means there's no need to be clever about how you're going to prevent recirculation of hot air. Still, you want at least about two 140mm fans worth of intake air to keep such a system happy. For a nonreference card with the same power consumption you'll want more though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Of course it's important. With reference cards it gets easier to manage because hot air gets exhausted right away. That means there's no need to be clever about how you're going to prevent recirculation of hot air. Still, you want at least about two 140mm fans worth of intake air to keep such a system happy. For a nonreference card with the same power consumption you'll want more though.

What about something like having 2 corsair af performance editions 140s to take air OUT of the case and 3 to have them blow air inside the case? I have an air conditioner in my room; so that can certainly help with the airflow too (Fresh, Cool air will go inside the case)

What about something like having 2 corsair af performance editions 140s to take air OUT of the case and 3 to have them blow air inside the case? I have an air conditioner in my room; so that can certainly help with the airflow too (Fresh, Cool air will go inside the case)

That'll be plenty. If you're not sure, keep an eye on the temperatures the firts few hours after you built it. But it should be more than enough.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

• 10 months later...

For me going for bad airflow case to current one lowered temps by 10C. Previous case had 1x80mm intake, additional space for 1x120mm intake on side and 1x120mm exhaust. Current has passive side, 200mm intake and 2 140mm exhaust on top.

As for components, how you setup your airflow to gain most depends on cooler types on GPU and CPU. With tower heatsinks airflow is bit more important than with rads, since latter are usually used as exhaust by themselves. With single tower heatsinks you can choose between rear and top exhaust, with dual towers you can even add extra intake with front top slot. Then there is stock cooler which is exhausting towards side panel. With that best solution would be adding side exhaust to aid it. But that is more depending if case has sidepanel slots.

With GPUs amount of cards is more important than cooler itself. All (correct me if I'm wrong) GPU cooler fans are intaking ones. With reference they are blower types which exhaust straight out of case. With aftermarket they exhaust all over the case. In both situations you want to have intake to aid them. This is usually either side slot or sometimes bottom.

Then there are components which either don't need extra help by airflow but have somewhat effect on it. HDDs and PSU. PSUs have own intaking fan. With top mounted PSUs you don't have choice how to position it, but with bottom mounted its either intake outside or inside. Outside intake is imo better as then it doesn't compete with GPU on fresh air. There is some exceptions with cases that have bottom side mounted PSU slots. As for HDDs, they are passively cooled by front intakes. As you see I didn't mention those earlier since they should always be there. Other fans can be swingled around but front should always be intake.

Sorry for posting in such an old post but I wanted to ask. Could me switching the 2 front intakes to exhaust cause the GPU VRMs temperature to go from 66*C to 72*C under load? Core remains the same or slightly warmer. Before you ask why I would, was the only option left :/

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6