AMD Radeon R9 390X cooler leaked [OC3D]

Plasma

I think that AMD might target the 390x for 4k gaming in a single core card.

I really like the look. I hope it's air cooled.

You know what would be AWESOME? If it was air cooled, but you can take out the heatsink, put a water lock in and put the original shroud over it and put tubing through that hole!

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I think that AMD might target the 390x for 4k gaming in a single core card.

Won't happen until the 400s series or Nvidia's Prometheus card. AMD was already close to TSMC's die size limit. Nvidia has room to spare on the GK210 chip for a supposed 3200 cores. Tonga is a step in the right direction for less TDP, but from what we've seen of chip shots, it's no smaller than the ones on the 280/X.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

-snips-

So you're saying an architecture that's inefficient for what it does is not bad? Okay, enjoy insanity.

So you're saying an architecture that's inefficient for what it does is not bad? Okay, enjoy insanity.

Stating that a chip performs terribly just because it's designed to run hot is just beyond ignorance. I am willing to bet you'll tell me to not buy a Haswell chip due to their heat issues because it will perform so much worse than a FX-8350 right?

Some of you are complaining about the possibility of a water cooled reference card...... wow. As long as the performance is epic, and it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money, hell yeah this is great. 

Look at the 295X2... thing is a beast. I mean sure you guys can bash and speculate whether AMD is good at controlling their thermals or not, but at the end of the day, if the card is a beast, performs well and is at a good price, it only benefits us... the consumer. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Stating that a chip performs terribly just because it's designed to run hot is just beyond ignorance. I am willing to bet you'll tell me to not buy a Haswell chip due to their heat issues because it will perform so much worse than a FX-8350 right?

No, what's ignorant is saying it's designed to run hotter. The second part of your sentence is hilarious too, because I think you got your own analogy backwards or you don't know how they work.

No, what's ignorant is saying it's designed to run hotter. The second part of your sentence is hilarious too, because I think you got your own analogy backwards or you don't know how they work.

You clearly have a way of ruining your own reputation. I'm not even going to bother acknowledging your response as it's that quaint.

My HD 5870 runs 80c during full load, god forbid it runs BF3 on High preset @ 1080p above 50 FPS in multiplayer...

You clearly have a way of ruining your own reputation. I'm not even going to bother acknowledging your response as it's that quaint.

My HD 5870 runs 80c during full load, god forbid it runs BF3 on High preset @ 1080p above 50 FPS in multiplayer...

I have a reputation? Enlighten me as you've been around that long to see it for yourself. I gave you a valid reply, you can't give an answer in return. GG.

I have a reputation? Enlighten me as you've been around that long to see it for yourself. I gave you a valid reply, you can't give an answer in return. GG.

I could sit back and bring up how GCN destroyed Nvidia when Never Settle made its debut, but you'll clearly have some sort of fanboy excuse for that won't you?

I could sit back and bring up how GCN destroyed Nvidia when Never Settle made its debut, but you'll clearly have some sort of fanboy excuse for that won't you?

Decisions because of free games and price do not excuse and architecture that's inefficient.

Next excuse?

Decisions because of free games and price do not excuse and architecture that's inefficient.

Next excuse?

This is going to be my last reply to you, simply because I want to quote what you say before you decide to edit it out.

frabz-Excuses-6bd8a8.jpg

This is going to be my last reply to you, simply because I want to quote what you say before you decide to edit it out.

Yeah, I'm totally going to edit it. Are you going to continue beating around the bush, give up entirely, or provide me a legitimate reason for AMD cards not needing to be efficient?

Yeah, I'm totally going to edit it. Are you going to continue beating around the bush, give up entirely, or provide me a legitimate reason for AMD cards not needing to be efficient?

Wouldn't Kepler be the inefficient one since it needs 15-25% more transistors to match the equivalent AMD cards performance?

Edit: Scratch that. Remembered that that hasn't been true for a few years :D

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Wouldn't Kepler be the inefficient one since it needs 15-25% more transistors to match the equivalent AMD cards performance?

Kepler =/= Maxwell, what we're comparing.

Also, transistor count does not equal performance per watt.

Kepler =/= Maxwell, what we're comparing.

Also, transistor count does not equal performance per watt.

Well, it also isn't all that fair to compare architectures that are a generation apart.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Well, it also isn't all that fair to compare architectures that are a generation apart.

Same generation in terms of release time, AMD has been sticking with it now up to Maxwell it seems and it's still just as poor as it was four years ago.

Same generation in terms of release time, AMD has been sticking with it now up to Maxwell it seems and it's still just as poor as it was four years ago.

So you're saying that GCN debuted the same time as Maxwell did?

So you're saying that GCN debuted the same time as Maxwell did?

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

Good night. You aren't going to understand.

-sip-

Sleep well.

I don't see how a hole in the side of the shroud proves that it is going to be watercooled. That hole could be there for any number of reasons, we don't know. Fact is that you can't just slap an AIO on a GPU without increasing the cost, those things are expensive. I don't think AMD plans to lose their price advantage over Nvidia with the next generation of cards.