Choosing a motherboard. Why is this so difficult?

Okay, I'm going to start working on my new build in February, but I'm having a terrible time deciding on a motherboard. I'm kinda stuck between the Maximus V Formula, One of the P8Z77-V boards or the Intel DZ77GA-70K.

Price isn't a huge factor, but I think I'm putting too much emphasis on the UEFI. I am wanting to do a blue themed build, but when I decide to watercool, I'll be able to put blocks on the board that take care of a lot of red on the Maximus. Every other part in the build is decided, but I'm exceptionally torn on the board. The RoG badge is a nice one to have, Intel says "quality" and the P8Z77-V is "plenty good enough".

Am I thinking too much about this at this point and should I just flip a coin?

If money isn't a problem, check the P8Z77 Premium.:) In a more serious note, i'd choose the P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt.

I would go for the Maximus. If you can hide the red with loading up the motherboards with water blocks, GPU's, Sound card(s) :P, and any other expansion cards. If you decide to to some overclocking in the future, I tend to find that the ROG motherboards do have a better power delivery system than their P8/P9 series boards.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

In my opinion, unless he's going for extreme overclocking, the difference between P8 and ROG is more or less irrelevant. Anyway, stick with Asus and you'll be fine, whatever the board.

Don't worry too much about the motherboard anymore, get what is aesthetically pleasing to you. The differences between motherboards are minimul now really, as overclocking isn't as strenuous as it used to be. Asus, Gigabyte, AsRock, MSI, EVGA, Intel, all good brands.

My recent purchase of the MSI Z77A-GD65 was exactly that - to blend in with my blue, black and white theme. And the board has excellent featues and part of MSI's overclocking group.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

If you are looking at the Maximus V formula, then you should look at the G1 Sniper 3, as well. It has a similar target demographic.

It's the one I have and I really like it.

One thing I used when I had narrowed it down to Asus boards was their comparison tool on their website. Lists all the features and things against each other and you can compare up to 5 boards at once.

other than some key features like thunderbolt / onboard wifi/ and UEFI, most mid-high end boards are identical performance wise. Go with the one that will fit your rig :]

It's either aesthetics or performance, pick one.
Not only is this the opposite of helpful, but I really don't think I have to compromise on either of those.

I am not trying to make you more confused or "putting you down" in anyway, just saying that sometimes you can get the aesthetics easily but the performance isn't top notch. For performance, the Maximus V Formula would be the way to go.

or get both with MSI's MPOWER

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77-MPOWER.html

I like it, each board is hand tested by overclocking on each board. :-)

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

That yellow and black is so pretty... I hate you. Now I have to rethink my whole theme...

I would go with the Maximus! It is a great performance mobo and it looks nice. :)

What is the color theme you are going with? you said blue, but you were thinking about getting a red mobo... I would love to help if you could give me more specifications!

Go for aesthetics and buy a mother board that has good performance. My suggestion if you are going for a blue color theme is either MSI or ASUS. They tend to have some nice blue motherboards that have good features and good quality.

i personally don't think it matters a huge deal, just make sure its got all the features you want, and is from a reputable manufacturer, asus, msi, gigabyte etc. stay clear of asrock, check your feature list, and get one that fits your build.

Having a greater knowledge about the VRM components of motherboards, I would recommend the Gigabyte Z77X UP5.

Both the Maximus V Formula and the P8Z77-V have doubled 4 phase VRMs, whereas the UP5 has an 8 phase VRM with better components, so the UP5 will probably overclock better. There's also the G1 Sniper 3, which has a doubled 6 phase VRM (no idea about the VRM quality, but the chokes on the Asus are a bit better), so it might perform a bit better than the Asus boards.

You can also look at all the features on the boards. The G1 Sniper 3 has great audio (with a headphone amp), a free dual band wireless card, and networking, in addition to the ability to use 4 graphics cards at x8. The UP5 has thunderbolt, a headphone amp and a free dual band wireless card. They look like good boards. I'm not really sure of the features of the Asus boards.

Also, the VRM cooling on the maximus V formula is useless.