Best graphics card for ~$100

pegsack

Hi I'm looking to get a new graphics card but I don't have much money to fork out. I intend to do some video editing mainly on Final Cut Pro (duel boot hackintosh) and some games eg gta4 la noire and maybe hitman absloution I was looking at the hd 7770. My specs are i5 2500k 8gb of ram and using a GeForce 210. Thanks in advance.

In terms of pure performance the HD7770 would be your best bet, however the HD7xxx cards are unfortunately not supported by OSX, so a GTX650 may be a better/only choice.

This question is kind of an oxymoron. Any GFX cards you buy that are lower than $100 are gonna be poor value for the money. I would recommend spending a little more.

Try ebay, i was able to get a 550ti for 80 bucks

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

If you are looking to buy a graphics card, particularly on the ATI 7000 series, don't buy one because those won't be compatible with OSX. The latest ATI graphics card that was compatible with OSX was the 6870. On the other hand you might want to consider the GeForce 600 series which are compatible with OSX. Given that you are on a tight budget for your graphics card ($100), you're far better off with the integrated Intel graphics.

I'm very into Hackintosh, and have read a lot concerning this area.

Send me your build config so I can suggest something to you.

If you are looking to buy a graphics card, particularly on the ATI 7000 series, don't buy one because those won't be compatible with OSX. The latest ATI graphics card that was compatible with OSX was the 6870. On the other hand you might want to consider the GeForce 600 series which are compatible with OSX. Given that you are on a tight budget for your graphics card ($100), you're far better off with the integrated Intel graphics.

I5 2500 k, GA-H61M-USB3-B3 (rev. 2.0), 8gb ram, 21" 1080p monitor, mountain lion, and being replaced gtx 210

Yeah, if you're not looking to spend more than 100 USD on a graphics card, Ebay would be the better choice.

Any graphics card under $100 isn't going to be great for it's value, it's going to perform very poor. The lowest i would go would be either a GTX 660 (non-ti) or a Radeon 7870, i know this is over your price range but anything lower than those two are going to be rubbish. I understand that you don't have enough money for them but i would really try to save up for a decent graphics rather than buy a rubbish card and upgrade later, it's going to cost more, but this is my opinion.

The motherboard you are using doesn't work out of the box with ML, therefore you need to use a DSDT from http://www.tonymacx86.com/11-dsdt-database.html

Everything else looks good besides the graphics card, A 550 ti would have been around the $100 price point and would work with OSX.

I would recommend you the tonymacx86.com forum for your Hackintosh build. It's the best way to research which parts will work and has the smoothest installation method of OSX.

its possible I may be able to spend A$200 but I'm not sure.

You will not get anything "good" for $100. You should look into second hand cards. You might be able to grab yourself a bargain.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

If you're in Australia, the prices are so ridiculously expensive that it's not even worth trying :P. No but in all seriousness, have a look on ebay and try second hand.

It'd be a much better idea to wait a little while and save some more money. GPUs under $100 are just not worth buying.

I managed to pick up a 2GB 7850 from Amazon for £140 however I think they're around £150 now.

"An Excellent Signature"

The only real gaming application for a graphics card sub $100 is if you play low-computation games like Minecraft or you play older games (I have a GT 520, and I play stuff like CIV 4 and Combat Arms).

The best use for cards in this range is if you either use CUDA-accelerated applications or actually program in CUDA (using C or C++) and don't want to spend a lot of money. I write programs that use my 520 for computation-intensive problems, and it absolutely blows away my computer's processing power, even with only 48 CUDA cores at 1 GHz.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

If your budget is $200 go for the GTX 660 or a used/refurbished 570 (it has better GPGPU performance) and they're both compatible in OS X.

If it's $100 you may want to look at the HD6000 Radeons since those are compatible with OS X.

Get the HD7770 Thats the best choice actually since the gtx660 is actually expensive to the hd7770 and has a huge differance from the gtx 660ti which uses a gk104 chip compared to the low powered gk106 chip in the gtx660. The 7770 is the best choice. Go for it

Try looking for used graphics cards, you might be able to get an older generation card for your price range.

Try looking for used graphics cards' date=' you might be able to get an older generation card for your price range.[/quote']

That is exactly what I would do, I got a HD 4890 for $75 bucks, used cards are the way to go if the buget is tight

2600K 4.6ghz, Maximus IV extreme-z, 16gb 1600, GTX 780, SB X-Fi Titanium HD, CM silent pro m 850, corsair 800D

As stated, OSX86 doesn't support HD7xxx cards YET. The new 10.8.3 update "supposedly" should.

I am personally running a 6870 on my hackintosh with my 7870 still in the box, just waiting.

If you need something now, go on craigslist and there a couple of 6870 for $100

● Thermaltake Core P5 ● ASUS Z170-A ● Intel Core i7-6700k 
● EK Supremacy EVO ● 2x 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 
● EVGA GTX 770 ● Samsung 850 EVO 250GB ● XFX 750W Black Edition PSU

If I could afford just under A$300 should I go for the gtx 660 ti?

I already have the hackintosh working and am a member of tonymacx86

Get a GT640, it has official driver support and it is exactly $100.