Water Cooling 101 - A good place for newbies to start

Gmac

On the point. If you had your res in anyware of the colsed loop it shouldent make nay differece.

Meaning same mount of water most go in as go out.

correct, but for newcomers it is best to error on caution than telling them other senses

before they know what/why they are doing something in a particular way.

because sure they would install it just after the pump and prolly cause all kinds of issues and problems.

correct, but for newcomers it is best to error on caution than telling them other senses

before they know what/why they are doing something in a particular way.

because sure they would install it just after the pump and prolly cause all kinds of issues and problems.

Yeah, thats kinda rigth thing to say for beginners. But saying Always in end. It's like saying, "dont look more in to it".

Mean if in some case's you would get nicer looking looping without this rule its kind of dahh, why you used it? ...if you know how to bleed it, it would be fine.

Anyways, great quide! Need to read more in to it, if i get some more tips in my own ones.. ;)

Edit: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/91813-how-powerful-of-a-pump-to-get/ Example that would work on firsth post. if res was after pump and it was bleed rigth.

Just got in to my eye, after leveing this topic sorry ;)

Great guide, i was a noob to water cooling (and i still am), but i cleared almost all my doubts here, tysm!

| Just sitting here, scrolling, judging. |

I have a simple question which I can't seem to find an answer using google;

I have seen some products like a pump or water block being sold as a POM version.  What the heck is a POM version?  

Thanks a heap for anyone who can explain this to me.

I have a simple question which I can't seem to find an answer using google;

I have seen some products like a pump or water block being sold as a POM version.  What the heck is a POM version?  

Thanks a heap for anyone who can explain this to me.

It basically stands for PolyOxyMethylene - a very hard material, polymer, used in various water cooling. Similar I think to Delrin... 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Great article/post, I intend to do an AIO CPU watercooler (Swiftech H320), can I down the road also install a AIO GPU watercooler that's completely independent of the CPU cooler? Do such things exist yet? Would you buy the cooler and GPU block seperatly or have to find one and entire set that is comaptible with your video card?

Thanks.

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Hi Dan,

I would say you need to make your own topic for your Q. as This is 101 and not "hotline" (to get anser for your rig)

But in general. If you are planing to WC both, CPU and GPU, then I would look in customcooling for Pros. and Cons . and add them up.

I would say there is AIO for GPUs but to ask for all GPUs its too much as you may need to cool your power components too and so i wouldnt trust my GPU to every AIOs in hand..

Needles to say, i have full customcooling.

Just wanted to toss this in here.

Primochill Intensifier Steel Blue DI Fluid coagulated in my loop. Had to flush it....pain in the ass. Going to switch to colored tubing.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

• 2 weeks later...

It basically stands for PolyOxyMethylene - a very hard material, polymer, used in various water cooling. Similar I think to Delrin... 

Thanks! Mystery solved heh.

I was wondering if anybody has tried this in their system -  using silicone tubing in the waterloop? I was thinking it would last a long time and where I live its half the price of PVC tubing. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• 4 weeks later...

I want to set up a loop but i am unsure as to where to buy the parts and an excate list of the parts i need;

I live in the UK could you show me a place where I can find all these parts. 

I want to set up a loop but i am unsure as to where to buy the parts and an excate list of the parts i need;

I live in the UK could you show me a place where I can find all these parts. 

Read the stickies and then browse some of the posts and you should get a good feel. We have listed some sellers from various areas. Then post your questions in your own post and members will be happy to help.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Reservoir inner tubes, what are they for? I understand you need one if you are using the top as an outlet/inlet but do you need it if your are using the bottom as an outlet and inlet?

ek-res-x3-int-tube-12-16-40mm_800.jpg

icebreakertech.nl

Reservoir inner tubes, what are they for? I understand you need one if you are using the top as an outlet/inlet but do you need it if your are using the bottom as an outlet and inlet?

These are to place the inlet of the reservoir under the water level. This stops splashing and more importantly, when the pump stops running, it stops all tubing from the inlet filling up with air.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Looking through this i have learned a lot about water cooling and am just curious if you can throw the silver kill coil into the reservoir or if you need to do something special.

Looking through this i have learned a lot about water cooling and am just curious if you can throw the silver kill coil into the reservoir or if you need to do something special.

That will work...

thanks Whaler, its a minor detail, but always better safe than sorry

• 3 weeks later...

So yeah it's dusty as shit now, camera quality is bad and the cables in there are a mess, I am in the progress of cleaning at the moment.

Are these tubes too bent?

http://puu.sh/7N62k.jpg

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

So yeah it's dusty as shit now, camera quality is bad and the cables in there are a mess, I am in the progress of cleaning at the moment.

Are these tubes too bent?

http://puu.sh/7N62k.jpg

For an AiO not really - as long as you have no actual kinks you should be ok.

Hey Gmac!

Great guide and videos. Very informative.

What I've noticed is that you used only one connector fitting between your GPU waterblocks. I've seen a lot builds connect two GPU waterblocks with two connector fittings. My questions are why and how would you do that? 

Hey Gmac!

Great guide and videos. Very informative.

What I've noticed is that you used only one connector fitting between your GPU waterblocks. I've seen a lot builds connect two GPU waterblocks with two connector fittings. My questions are why and how would you do that? 

This depends on the blocks. Some support parallel flows and such, in that case you can have two connectors between for increased flow. 

I believe that block has an inlet side and an outlet side. So, if running in SLI you could have Inlet -> Outlet -> Inlet -> Outlet

Good shot of it here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7363/the-neophytes-custom-liquid-cooling-guide-how-to-why-to-what-to-expect/9

Now, you can run it in parallel as well - you will need more fittings and need the design of your loop to work with it. Here is another pic of that:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/r270/p417x417/1525753_555586537866565_826103611_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...