Water Cooling 101 - A good place for newbies to start

Gmac
Got a quick question Gmac. I plan to have a couple of Koolence QDC's in my loop and they are Nickel plated Brass, so is the rumor that silver (eg. a silver kill coil) in the loop can cause the nickle plating to corrode just a rumor or is there some truth to it?
Sorry for my slow response.

So here is what i understand about this nickel and silver debate. Company's such as Koolence and EK both state in their polices that you should not mix silver and nickel in a loop. Likewise both of these companies have had problems and sometimes still do about the nickel on their blocks flaking. There is all kinds of anecdotal evidence about peoples running loops for years with these two mixed and not having a problem. People saying that after six months there whole system is blogged up and ruined. However the problem with anecdotal evidence is that it is not evidence.

So from what i understand you shouldn't have a problem from have a small amount of silver mixed with nickel. I am unaware of any reaction that will happen between these two. What i do think happens is some companies are known for making blocks that are not of the highest quality control. And that some block will have problems no matter what.

So with all that being said it is in my opinion that if you own a block from a manufacturer that clearly states in their policy not to mix silver and nickel. Such as Koolence. Dont do it. For the sole reason that if something does happen they will not support or replace anything that has had silver running in it. But should you be worried to put a small piece of silver in a loop? No.

Anyone have an opinion on Mayhems Pastel Coolant...I was looking at that for my water cooling rig.
I am glad ghost got you. But ya Mayhem makes awesome coolants. I plan to try them one day.

Got a quick question Gmac. I plan to have a couple of Koolence QDC's in my loop and they are Nickel plated Brass, so is the rumor that silver (eg. a silver kill coil) in the loop can cause the nickle plating to corrode just a rumor or is there some truth to it?
Ok Thanks Gmac. Btw both my GPU and CPU blocks are pure non platted copper. The only Nickel platted parts in my loop are 2 Koolence Quick disconnects.
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Memory: 32GB 3600mhz DDR4 | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 |
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, 850 Evo 500gb, 960 Pro 1tb | Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling Loop (CPU/GPU) | Case: CaseLabs Mercury S8+Pedestal  | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + PA238QR

Awesome thread. I've never done any water cooling but the possibilities of customization are so great that I definitely enjoy seeing watercooled builds and guides. One of the main youtube channels that I like when it comes to watercooling is Singularity Computers' channel. He makes beautiful builds as well as extremely detailed video logs to go along with them. His videos might be long but for people who want a lot of explaining and detail with the process of configuring water cooled setups, I think it definitely helps, not to mention the eye candy that his builds provide. Perhaps you can add his channel to the list of useful links. Like I said, I'm no watercooling pro, but watching his vids has definitely gotten me into perhaps doing my own. :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingularityComputers

• 3 weeks later...

Finished setting up my first custom water cooling loop. I am using pure water. Do I need to add "dead-water" additive at all? Something like this http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11744/ex-liq-154/IandH_Dead-Water_Copper_Sulfate_Biocidal_PC_Coolant_Additive_-_15_mL.html?tl=g30c103s186#blank

Does it turn your loop blue?

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

Finished setting up my first custom water cooling loop. I am using pure water. Do I need to add "dead-water" additive at all? Something like this http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11744/ex-liq-154/IandH_Dead-Water_Copper_Sulfate_Biocidal_PC_Coolant_Additive_-_15_mL.html?tl=g30c103s186#blank

I would add something to keep algae from growing inside your loop. What you have linked will work more then fine. I personally use a silver kill coil.

And no it wont change the color in your loop. Only use 1 or 2 drops.

Thank you sir!

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

I'm using "pure water"...how often do other people have to "top-off" your loop? It seems like this stuff evaporates rather quickly...just me?

I'm using "pure water"...how often do other people have to "top-off" your loop? It seems like this stuff evaporates rather quickly...just me?

Have you sealed the fill port in your res? After running for about 24 hrs, you made need to top up a bit as the last of the bubbles work themselves out and then seal it up. As it is sealed, you should not be able to lose any significant liquid. It may drop very slowly. If it is dropping rather quickly, either fill port is not sealed up tight, so water can evaporate, or you have a little leak somewhere. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Have you sealed the fill port in your res? After running for about 24 hrs' date=' you made need to top up a bit as the last of the bubbles work themselves out and then seal it up. As it is sealed, you should not be able to lose any significant liquid. It may drop very slowly. If it is dropping rather quickly, either fill port is not sealed up tight, so water can evaporate, or you have a little leak somewhere. :)[/quote']

Thanks! I haven't seen any leaks anywhere, so I'll just top-off and tighten the res cap more than I did before and see if that works out. Thanks again for the response!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!! Awesome, nearly all my question answered in one thread.

Thank you Sir

• 4 weeks later...

I appreciated the work gone into this to make the post but over 85% of the text and images was copied and pasted from Quazz's post on TomsHardware forums.

So.

Can you talk about the use of quick disconnects? I don't know a lot about them and it would be helpful to add into this guide. Thank you!

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Thought I'd just let you know of some from Australia.

Places I get my watercooling gear is from

PC Case Gear - http://pccasegear.com/

The Kool Room - http://www.thekoolroom.com/

GAM Mods - http://www.gammods.com.au

I'd love to know if there are more good places in Oz

Unfortunately thats the only places I I know as well
Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

Can you talk about the use of quick disconnects? I don't know a lot about them and it would be helpful to add into this guide. Thank you!

You have to be careful with those. Purchasing the wrong ones can actually add some restriction to your loop. They ar also another leak point, but can be handy. Make sure you get the right ones. Sometimes, depending on brand/model, you can get male or female and then may already have various sized barbs/fittings attached, so pay attention to that as well.

So, make sure you get high flow / low restriction ones. I have had my eye on some Koolance ones - debating those...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

You have to be careful with those. Purchasing the wrong ones can actually add some restriction to your loop. They ar also another leak point, but can be handy. Make sure you get the right ones. Sometimes, depending on brand/model, you can get male or female and then may already have various sized barbs/fittings attached, so pay attention to that as well.

So, make sure you get high flow / low restriction ones. I have had my eye on some Koolance ones - debating those...

For example, if I were using 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing w/ compression fittings, would these quick disconnects be a good fit? 

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

For example, if I were using 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing w/ compression fittings, would these quick disconnects be a good fit? 

It says that it will with a big illustration on that link.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

It says that it will with a big illustration on that link.

I meant my question more as a "are they recommended" since he mentioned Koolance as a notable brand. I know that they would be compatible. Would you recommend them?

I meant my question more as a "are they recommended" since he mentioned Koolance as a notable brand. I know that they would be compatible. Would you recommend them?

Quick disconnects should be avoided if possible.

But if you really need them then I would say those are the ones to get.

I believe singularity talks about quick disconnects here: 

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

if i build a second pump in the loop, where would i place it?

if i build a second pump in the loop, where would i place it?

Anywhere. People usually place them next to each other.