First mod ever, painting NZXT H440

fishy

I was planning to do this for quite some time, but finally decided that today is the day.

It turned out ok, but just ok. For the first time I'd say it went quite well, but I know I wouldn't win any awards with it.

So today I was just trying to see how I could take apart the plastic and the metal bit on the top and front panel.

After actually taking it apart I wasn't sure if I should just continue and paint it, or put it back together as my main goal was achieved, to see how to take it apart.

But what the heck, I already did some work so might as well just finish it right? :D

So I went to the store, talked with the dude there, told him what I wanted to do and he gave me some advices and sold me sanding paper, primer and paint.

If anyone is interested how you take it apart, I took some pics of it so maybe some other guy/gal will benefit from this thread.

The mesh is held on just by screws, so no prob there. The harder part is the metal plate itself, but no biggie either.

It's held on by just 4 screw on the side where there's no mesh and few little tabs that are really easy to bend so that the metal plate can slide off.

Pics say a thousand words...

Then came the painting part QQ.

There isn't any plastidip like stuff here, so my only option was good old paint.

First came sanding the plastic so the primer and paint could stick better on it. The glossy plastic really isn't good for painting it over, so I was told

It was an agony :D

Trying to get in all those holes on the side, my fingers hurt when I think about it now :D

Other than that, it went smooth as butter.

Then came priming, that was easy and later painting it. First time I was using a spray paint in my life :D

So experience was on my side \o/

And yes, I did cover the foam so it wouldn't get painted over, just in case. But if you're gonna do it with masking tape, be very careful when peeling it of. The tape might tear a bit of the foam.

First panel got a bit thick coating and that's the only mistake I believe I made. I was painting it too fast and wasn't patient <<.

The second one, the front one turned out great, like I was a pro.

And the end result is...

I'll just past a link to the album so there won't be too much loading for those that don't want big pics with data caps. You're welcome!

The order of pics is the same as I wanted to post in here, but...

http://imgur.com/gallery/eU0SM/new

Oh yeah, EDIT:

I do want to paint the PSU cover as well, but maybe some other day

P.S

and yes, I use a couple of old 386 PCs as my PC stand :D

and they do work!

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

I know xD

I loled when I saw, and I never lol IRL *intense look*

Rape Yellow.. oh my lord.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Update!

Encouraged by yesterdays results, I decided to paint the psu cover as well.

It turned out better than expected.

The unmounting was easy as pie. It's held on by just 3 screws. Tho, the letters are glued onto the surrounding plastic so I had to mask those.

Here are the results.

post-51802-0-23805500-1403804462_thumb.j

post-51802-0-83669100-1403804517_thumb.j

post-51802-0-59083900-1403804560_thumb.j

post-51802-0-34953500-1403804605_thumb.j

post-51802-0-65955000-1403804649_thumb.j

post-51802-0-24224000-1403804700_thumb.j

Other than that top panel that I will redo it again, I'm very pleased with the end result.

Ofc it would be better if it was made with yellow plastic in the first place, but I'm really really pleased with how it turned out in the end overall.

And yes, that is once again rape yellow.

Very nice, I like the yellow and black, wish NZXT would come out with a version to were we would not have to mod it for that color scheme.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

There's not enough yellow builds, but that's probably what makes them special.

I wonder who translated the name, it should be mustard yellow.

Nice job though, matches the rest of the components nicely.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird