Stealth CD drive 900D advice

Unclescar
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

I've seen this stealth drive idea done many times on the 650D and other corsair cases, I'm sure it can be carried through to the 900D in a similar fashion but here's the basic idea of how it'll be done on a C70, you'd mount the plate to the drive tray itself and have the corner you basically press to activate to open it.

In my new case, a 900D, it's much wider than your standard disk drive, and requires the removal of a cover, and then the drive is indented and doesn't really look appealing. really a huge damper on the sleek look of the case.

I've been looking around and I can't seem to find any advice for an easy but effective way to hide a DvD drive.

I know by now that most people consider a CD drive of any kind to be useless and pointless, but I like having them because I use my computer as a media device often, and my lady and I like to rent movies.

I'd like to only do it once, which means I need to do it right the first time.

What would be my best mode of action?

I've considered taking the clips off the back of the plate and attaching the plate to the front of the drive so that the whole plate comes out and in as I open/close the drive, however, i'm not sure what would be best for attaching the two, and I'd also lose access to the open close button on the front of the drive. I've heard of "remapping" the button in a sense, so that I can access it elsewhere, but I've no clue how to go about doing that.

I've also considered installing a hinge and button/clip top the plate so that I can press it and swing it open to gain access to the drive, but I feel like changing the clips out for this method would result in the plate not sitting flush with the other plates around it.

Just looking for input.
If you know of a tutorial someone has put up elsewhere, please point me to it.
Thanks!

Buy a USB disc drive, easiest method.

haha!

I think part of the point of the 900D is so that I can fit everything inside the case... I have a large amount of peripherals and USB keys for software that stay plugged in at all times. I won't waste a USB port for something that could/should easily fit inside.

I'm already doing some case modding, I just want to know how I should go about this particular part of it.

haha!

I think part of the point of the 900D is so that I can fit everything inside the case... I have a large amount of peripherals and USB keys for software that stay plugged in at all times. I won't waste a USB port for something that could/should easily fit inside.

I'm already doing some case modding, I just want to know how I should go about this particular part of it.

You could always mount the ODD farther back in the 5.25 bay so you can put the cover on when it's not in use.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

If your really limited on USB ports, why not just USB Hubs? 

I'm not limited on USB ports.

I just have many things plugged in at a time through USB, and many more swapped in and out as necessary, and I'd like to not use a USB external CD drive when there is plenty of room, and even a spot built into the case for the thing to be on the inside. The 900D is a huge case. the mobo I have picked out has many many USB ports. Its not a matter of case room or lack of USB ports, it's a matter of hiding the CD drive so that its accessible and usable, while maintaining the nice appearance of the case.

Why is the advice in the case modding section about how to avoid modding the case?

I WANT to mod the case, that's why I'm here asking, i just want to do it right.

You could always mount the ODD farther back in the 5.25 bay so you can put the cover on when it's not in use.

True, but the covers themselves aren't built to come off and on frequently, in that use it wouldn't be long before the clips break and it no longer stays on or fits right.

I want to change the way it's attached to the case so that it appears to be there, without prohibiting use of the drive behind it. It will open and close fairly frequently and the clips that are already there won't last long with that kind of use.

I've seen this stealth drive idea done many times on the 650D and other corsair cases, I'm sure it can be carried through to the 900D in a similar fashion but here's the basic idea of how it'll be done on a C70, you'd mount the plate to the drive tray itself and have the corner you basically press to activate to open it.

Thank you very much! this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Some odd reason I couldn't find anything like this.