Why is Samsung making such huge phones?

terrytek

Link: http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-mega-7-inch-phone-detailed-for-summer-24326426/

Why the fuck are Samsung phones getting so big? It started with the 4.3 inch Galaxy S2, then the 4.8 inch S3, the 5 inch S4, and the 5.1 inch S5. Oh, and let's not forget the 6.3 inch Galaxy Mega, the first phone to break the 6 inch barrier. Now, Samsung wants to create a phone as big as the Galaxy Tab 3 7 inch tablet? Why? I mean, a first gen Mega can barely fit in my pocket. Imagine a second gen Mega. Plus, holding it up to your ear to talk looks kinda embarrassing. Why Samsung? Why?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My S3 feels small ;_;

But yeah,more than 5.7" is really stretching it.I have no idea why a 7" phone wouldn't be an actual tablet -.-.

5.5"(Note 3) is the max I'd go for.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

My S3 feels small ;_;

IK. I don't know why Samsung pioneered the large-screen phone for. It seems too big for me. I think 4 inches is enough, thank you very much.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Maybe because some people want big phones? Isn't the answer kind of obvious? Also, this isn't news. Try to actually post something related to the news article instead of asking "Why is Samsung Making Big Phones"

Maybe because some people want big phones? Isn't the answer kind of obvious?

But sometimes, big can be too big.

Its kind of reminiscent of the bit wars of old: people are wired to assume bigger = better

-------

Current Rig

-------

because people will buy them, there are reasons for them existing and as a lot of people are buying them it seems like there is a good reason as to why they are buying them.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

For someone with big hands it's nice to have a bigger phone. 7" is definetely stretching it though.

(I'm 6'7", for reference) 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Bigger = Better  ;)

In some instances. 

size is just a number

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Because people think phone size is directly proportional with their penis size and want to show off?

Idk.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

5 inches is perfect, 4 inch is like holding a childs toy with no screen real estate to work with, it boggles my mind how you can type on a 4 inch screen. (im looking at you Iphone)

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

5 inches is perfect, 4 inch is like holding a childs toy with no screen real estate to work with, it boggles my mind how you can type on a 4 inch screen. (im looking at you Iphone)

But the iPhone 6 may increase in size. To a moderate 4.7 inch screen. At least it isn't crazy huge, like the Mega.

Got to agree with this, I can just about use my Nexus 5 perfectly without it getting awkward, any larger and I might struggle.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

It's not the size, it's what you do with it.  ;)

misinterpretations are fun 

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Got to agree with this, I can just about use my Nexus 5 perfectly without it getting awkward, any larger and I might struggle.

You mean disagree. He was talking about how small screens make typing and other finger things on a phone awkward.

You mean disagree. He was talking about how small screens make typing and other finger things on a phone awkward.

how do you know what he ment? i dont think he would make the mistake of typing 'agree' when he ment 'disagree'

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

But the iPhone 6 may increase in size. To a moderate 4.7 inch screen. At least it isn't crazy huge, like the Mega.

The mega and this 7" inch phone are useless gimmicks, and id love to see how apple uses the extra real estate, lets hope they make iOs work with a larger screen, cuz the back buton on the left top of the screen will be hard to press with a 4.7 inch screen, 

how do you know what he ment? i dont think he would make the mistake of typing 'agree' when he ment 'disagree'

Because he would say his Nexus 5 was the right size.

The mega and this 7" inch phone are useless gimmicks, and id love to see how apple uses the extra real estate, lets hope they make iOs work with a larger screen, cuz the back buton on the left top of the screen will be hard to press with a 4.7 inch screen, 

Who knows? Maybe the back button can be moved to the bottom.

Because he would say his Nexus 5 was the right size.

thats 5 inches...

Who knows? Maybe the back button can be moved to the bottom.

or maybe they try something new and get a proper back button? not gonna happen tho

or maybe they try something new and get a proper back button? not gonna happen tho

Maybe the back button could be where the index finger can go, on the back, maybe?

Maybe the back button could be where the index finger can go, on the back, maybe?

would be really cool if they did that, but apple would get all the attention for 'trying something new' when LG already did it

also, the leaked dummy models didnt have that, and they looked pretty legit imo

As a Xperia Z user, 5 inches is a tad too big for me. I think 4.7 inches is ideal for me, personally.

7 inch (and around that size) would mostly be used as a secondary thing for me, something to keep around the computer, in the car or whatnot. Where a 10 inch tablet would be too big. If you're able to use a sim card with both (and they are tied with your current phoneplan), then I don't see why you couldn't have them around. Though, mainly used as something to browse websites and view videos on.