AMD "FreeSync" Interview with Robert Hallock (Thracks) Answers Compatibility Questions

I'm going to leave the entire interview in the OP, because taking quotes out of context can be dangerous and misleading.

The following article is the English original of the interview by SweClockers with Robert Hallock, Technical Communications Officer at AMD. The upcoming AMD FreeSync technology will challenge Nvidia G-Sync with an open standard for dynamic refresh rates. A key part of this is VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync, which was recently added to the DisplayPort standard.

Is it correct to say that FreeSync is a direct answer to Nvidia G-Sync?

– The engineering timeline of the Radeon R9 and R7 Series, which feature Project FreeSync-compatible display controllers, establishes that FreeSync predates G-Sync by a healthy margin. Both technologies aim to deliver similar user benefits, but Project FreeSync will accomplish its goals with open industry standards that don’t require any licensing fees or contracts from participating parties. History has more or less proven that this strategy enables technologies to proliferate faster and cost less, and we think that’s the right way for everyone.

Could you please explain the difference between AMD FreeSync and VESA Adaptive-Sync?

– VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is a new component of the DisplayPort 1.2a specification that allows a graphics card to control the refresh rate of a display over a DisplayPort link. As it seems there is some confusion, I want to emphasize that DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is not FreeSync. By itself, DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is a building block that provides a standard framework a source device, e.g. a graphics card, can depend on to execute dynamic refresh rates.

DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is an important development in our industry, however, because there now exists an industry-standard framework that dynamic refresh rate technologies, like Project FreeSync, can rely on to deliver end-user benefits: no tearing, minimal input latency, smooth framerates, etc. Make no mistake, providing dynamic refresh rates to users still takes a lot of ‘secret sauce’ from the hardware and software ends of our products, including the correct display controllers in the hardware and the right algorithms in AMD Catalyst.

What is the basic functionality of FreeSync. What does it do and what are the advantages?

– The basic benefit of Project FreeSync is the dynamic refresh rate (‘DRR’), which allows the graphics card to synchronize the refresh rate of a monitor 1:1 with the framerate of an AMD Radeon GPU. With DRR, gamers can disable v-sync and experience the full range of framerates produced by a graphics card without clamping to some divisor of the monitor’s refresh rate. Disabling vsync in favor of Project FreeSync will eliminate large jumps in framerate, resulting in noticeably smoother gameplay.

Because Project FreeSync obviates the need for v-sync, gamers especially sensitive to input latency — a delay between mouse movement and cursor movement — will also see a distinct increase in responsiveness.

Finally, disabling v-sync would typically introduce nasty horizontal tearing, but Project FreeSync also eliminates tearing as a rule. Project FreeSync is a "best of all worlds" solution from the perspective of smoothness, image quality and responsiveness.

We are told you are using triple buffering. There are some obvious drawbacks to this.

– I think this is a misunderstanding derived previous comments that AMD Catalyst can force-enable triple buffering in the driver’s control panel. Let me set the record straight: Project FreeSync does not require extensive buffering, because the need for such techniques is virtually eliminated when you can match the display timings to the framerate of the GPU on the fly. Within the range of refresh rates supported by a compatible display, Project FreeSync will allow the absolute minimum input lag with single- or double-buffered rendering.

In comparison to Nvidia G-Sync; what are the advantages and disadvantages to FreeSync?

– There are three key advantages Project FreeSync holds over G-Sync: no licensing fees for adoption, no expensive or proprietary hardware modules, and no communication overhead. The last point is particularly important from a performance perspective, as Project FreeSync does not need to poll or wait on the display in order to determine when it’s safe to send the next frame to the monitor. Project FreeSync uses DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocols to pre-negotiate supported min/max refresh rates during plug’n’play, which means frame presentation to the user will never be delayed or impaired by time-consuming two-way handshakes.

How about compatibility?

– Project FreeSync will utilize DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync protocols to enable dynamic refresh rates for video playback, gaming and power-saving scenarios. All AMD Radeon graphics cards in the AMD Radeon HD 7000, HD 8000, R7 or R9 Series will support Project FreeSync for video playback and power-saving purposes. The AMD Radeon R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and R7 260 additionally feature updated display controllers that will support dynamic refresh rates during gaming.

AMD APUs codenamed Kaveri, Kabini, Temash, Beema and Mullins also feature the necessary hardware capabilities to enable dynamic refresh rates for video playback, gaming and power-saving purposes. All products must be connected to a display that supports DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync.

As far as games go, we know that some titles may for whatever reason not cooperate with dynamic refresh rates, so we’ll allow users to toggle Project FreeSync in the driver. Operating system support will initially be brought to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

Are there any display vendors committed to FreeSync?

– There are several industry partners working on Project FreeSync, but it would not be right for me to announce a partner’s plans on their behalf. Rest assured, when the time is right we will tell the world!

When can we expect to be able to try FreeSync for ourselves and when will the technology be available for end-users?

– We expect Project FreeSync-ready monitors to be available in retail within 6-12 months, and prototypical monitors suitable for tradeshows or press demonstrations to be ready within 4-10 months.

Thank you for your time and we wish you best of luck with Project FreeSync!

– Thank you!

The TLDR version:

Free-Sync as a concept is older than G-Sync. It does not require licensing fees or special scalars to be installed in the monitor.

VESA Adaptive Sync is a component in the new DP 1.2a standard that allows compatible graphics cards to control the refresh rate of the monitor.

Free-Sync will allow you to disable V-Sync (which will increase responsiveness) while not risking seeing screen tearing when the graphics card refreshes the displayed image before the monitor is finished displaying the previous image, and not being locked to a multiplier of the display's display rate (15, 30, 60, 90, 120 etc).

Free-Sync removes the need for triple-buffering to eliminate input lag.

Advantages over G-Sync are: no licensing fees, no proprietary hardware modules and not communication overhead between the graphics card and the monitor.

All AMD Radeon graphics cards in the AMD Radeon HD 7000, HD 8000, R7 or R9 Series will support Project FreeSync for video playback and power-saving purposes.

The AMD Radeon R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and R7 260 additionally feature updated display controllers that will support dynamic refresh rates during gaming.

AMD APUs codenamed Kaveri, Kabini, Temash, Beema and Mullins also feature the necessary hardware capabilities to enable dynamic refresh rates for video playback, gaming and power-saving purposes.

To use Free-Sync, you must connect the graphics output to a compatible monitor via a DP 1.2a port.

Free-Sync will be compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 at launch, and will be able to be toggled off if it is not supported by certain applications.

There are several industry partners working on Project FreeSync.

Compatible monitors are expected to hit retail in 6-12 months, and be available for review in 4-10 months.

Source: http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/18798-amd-om-dynamiska-uppdateringsfrekvenser-med-project-freesync/2#pagehead

That answered a lot of the questions I had about the technology, now we need to wait until Christmas (which is coincidentally around when they expect monitors to hit retail - who'd have thought).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Let me get this straight, they're giving FreeSync to the r7 260, but not the 280(x) and 270(x)?

//ccap

Let me get this straight, they're giving FreeSync to the r7 260, but not the 280(x) and 270(x)?

All the information was helpful and cleared a lot of things up for me, but are they trying to beleaguer a high percentage of their card owners? I know a ton of people that use the r9 280/270 that were really excited when they heard FreeSync was coming to their cards...

Older GCN GPUs are not supported. Saddens me too.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Older GCN GPUs are not supported. Saddens me too.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot those cards were rebadges (well, sort of rebadges-- they use the same architecture). lol :lol:

//ccap

While I hate some things about my 270x.  I bought it because I beileved AMD was going in the right path for gaming.  And so far, that is correct.  Still, I have a gripe which is I cant figure out how to update my drivers :(

I'm wondering if there will be third-party software to enable DRR on older GCN cards.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Thracks didn't mention the disadvantages when asked about the advantages and disadvantages compared to GSYNC?

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Useful interview thanks.

Nvidia must be so pissed about this. I think they unveiled GSYNC too soon. This gave AMD advance warning that freesync needed to be fast-tracked. Nvidia should have done all their R&D behind the scenes and Worked with monitor vendors, only going public when the ecosystem was ready. That would have given them a year or so at least to make money off GSYNC before freesync was ready. I don't doubt AMD has been working on this for years, but they Probably prioritized it and pushed it as a VESA standard so soon as a response to GSYNC.

It's a bit lame freesync for gaming will not be supported for 280x. Since it works with powersaving and video playback, it must be a driver issue, not an architecture issue? The connectors should be firmware upgradable like on consoles right?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

It's a bit lame freesync for gaming will not be supported for 280x. Since it works with powersaving and video playback, it must be a driver issue, not an architecture issue? The connectors should be firmware upgradable like on consoles right?

That depends on how the hardware in the display adapter on the graphics card is constructed. But if it is just a driver issue, you can be fairly sure that a third party will figure out how to enable it on the HD 7xxx, R9 270(x) and 280(x) cards.

Ah the wonders of rebranding at work!

-------

Current Rig

-------

IIRC, the R7 270 is what used to be the HD 7870XT which uses the Hawaii architecture instead of the sea islands architecture of the HD 7850, 7870 and the 7950 and 7970 graphics cards.

It's a bit lame freesync for gaming will not be supported for 280x. Since it works with powersaving and video playback, it must be a driver issue, not an architecture issue?

Unless Robert Hallock is lying the new generation cards have updated display controller hardware to enable it. So it's probably an architecture issue... Otherwise why would they leave out the R9 280x while supporting cheaper cards.

https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/469486331400171520

Tom AkA Fetzie ‏@Fetzie_ 3m
@TecFanatic @Thracks to clarify, the HD series cards (and the R9 rebrands) lack the controller hardware for Free-Sync to work with gaming?

Reply:

Robert Hallock @Thracks

@Fetzie_ @TecFanatic That's correct.

While I hate some things about my 270x.  I bought it because I beileved AMD was going in the right path for gaming.  And so far, that is correct.  Still, I have a gripe which is I cant figure out how to update my drivers :(

you know rapter (AMD gaming evolved) checks for updates and alerts you when one is ready, and provides a butten at the bottom of the screen to take you directly to the download page

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I'm just glad G-Sync won't be a thing really anymore. The premium they could have charged on that....

I'm just glad G-Sync won't be a thing really anymore. The premium they could have charged on that....

I think you don't get the implications of this. AMD has all but said that this is a closed standard. Which means Nvidia G-Sync and A-Sync are going to be seperate technologies that you will have to buy based on your GPU. In other Nvidia users will still have to pay a ton for G-Sync.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I think you don't get the implications of this. AMD has all but said that this is a closed standard. Which means Nvidia G-Sync and A-Sync are going to be seperate technologies that you will have to buy based on your GPU. In other Nvidia users will still have to pay a ton for G-Sync.

Nvidia can support the free open version based on the VESA standard. But probably not in current gen cards because they were not designed with this in mind. Probably in Maxwell or the gen after that...

Does require some engineering effort from Nvidia to support this, but they already have the know-how after developing Gsync.

IIRC, the R7 270 is what used to be the HD 7870XT which uses the Hawaii architecture instead of the sea islands architecture of the HD 7850, 7870 and the 7950 and 7970 graphics cards.

The 270 is a cut down pitcairn chip. Just like how the 270x is a full pitcairn chip.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

The 270 is a cut down pitcairn chip. Just like how the 270x is a full pitcairn chip.

Hmmm I was under the impression that the 270 and 270x are only different in clock and mem speeds, and that it is the 265 that is the cutdown pitcairn gpu. This does seems strange to me considering the 265 is labled as  r7 part, while 270(x) are r9 class even though all 3 are pitcairn (now called curacao wtf?).

Here is TH's review, looks like 265=7850 and 270(x)=7870

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r7-265-review,3748.html

Is it correct to say that FreeSync is a direct answer to Nvidia G-Sync?

– The engineering timeline of the Radeon R9 and R7 Series, which feature Project FreeSync-compatible display controllers, establishes that FreeSync predates G-Sync by a healthy margin. Both technologies aim to deliver similar user benefits, but Project FreeSync will accomplish its goals with open industry standards that don’t require any licensing fees or contracts from participating parties. History has more or less proven that this strategy enables technologies to proliferate faster and cost less, and we think that’s the right way for everyone.

Sometimes you think companies are very mature and serious, then you see them trying to first each other.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh well RMA'ed my Asus 280x and now I'm upgrading it to an Asus 290. (RMA was due to artefacts).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

you know rapter (AMD gaming evolved) checks for updates and alerts you when one is ready, and provides a butten at the bottom of the screen to take you directly to the download page

yeah. But I can't update the drivers

So will nvidia cards be support? If it's adopted as an industry standard, shouldn't it work on the geforce cards aswell?

So will nvidia cards be support? If it's adopted as an industry standard, shouldn't it work on the geforce cards aswell?

That would be on nVidia to support it. The mechanism is an industry standard, but the way that the graphics card interacts with that mechanism is up to the graphics card chipset manufacturer to implement.