Are Sound Cards Worth It?

AcidElite

I wouldn't agree with 3 out of his top 5. And the STX has an output impedance of 10 ohms so because of the dampening effect, it would warp the freqency signature of headphones under 80 ohms. 

I think we are getting off topic here with my choices. I have a good sound card. My sound is just fine I'm satisfied with it. I doing just fine :) Help the poster ha!

Fine if you want to argue for the sake or arguing go ahead. The headphones are pretty good headphones will you please guys give me some slack here shit. 

I wasn't making an argument. Also, chill.

I wasn't making an argument. Also, chill.

I'm just amazed that when it comes down to a recommendation the people will choose the one thing they don't like and talk about that instead of contributing and helping the poster your post just annoyed me sorry. 

I'm just amazed that when it comes down to a recommendation the people will choose the one thing they don't like and talk about that instead of contributing and helping the poster your post just annoyed me sorry. 

The op was helped like 15 posts ago. The only reason things have gone on this long is because some people refuse to grasp the concept that an insufficient damping factor harms sound.

The op was helped like 15 posts ago. The only reason things have gone on this long is because some people refuse to grasp the concept that an insufficient damping factor harms sound.

My sound is just fine. I'm not getting warped sound my sound is just fine thank you. I listen to a good chunk of composed music and blu rays and my sound isn't harmed at all.  I guess this is why linus went on a rant about the audio community on his forums some months back on the wan show. 

My sound is just fine. I'm not getting warped sound my sound is just fine thank you. I listen to a good chunk of composed music and blu rays and my sound isn't harmed at all.  I guess this is why linus went on a rant about the audio community on his forums some months back on the wan show. 

You might not hear it especially if you have nothing else to compare it to but I had to correct you so other people don't get bad information. It's not about getting sidetracked and talking about things we don't like. 

I doubt it, I haven't been annoying the audio sub that long.

You might not hear it especially if you have nothing else to compare it to but I had to correct you so other people don't get bad information. It's not about getting sidetracked and talking about things we don't like. 

See that is a bit more constructive.  You explained why you are explaining rather then just say blah blah blah to someone who doesn't get what you are talking about or why you are talking about it. I know that my headphones sound just fine to me I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything I leave my settings on hifi if anyone has a asus sound card and I use uni xonar drivers anyway which are better apparently. 

I think we are getting off topic here with my choices. I have a good sound card. My sound is just fine I'm satisfied with it. I doing just fine :) Help the poster ha!

Exactly, I agree. You don't need an ODAC. Tired of people saying sound cards are garbage. Shut up, no they arent they are great and you dont need an external solution for superb sound.

Ok thanks guy I think I'm gonna go for the ATH-M50 Blacks. BTW what mic do you suggest? And I know this is completely off-topic, but what is a really high quality webcam?

A lot of the justification for a soundcard would probably come from how bad the integrated sound on your Mobo is. I'd say go for it unless your mobo has great integrated sound.

As for a mic, a Blue Snowball should be good.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Ok thanks guy I think I'm gonna go for the ATH-M50 Blacks. BTW what mic do you suggest? And I know this is completely off-topic, but what is a really high quality webcam?

From my personal experience if you have a webcam the quality may be enough what you can do is check and see if it is enough for you. 

A couple of notable choices though for mics

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowflake-USB-Microphone/dp/B0012AUHXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399955626&sr=8-1&keywords=blu+snowflake

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-iCE-Microphone/dp/B006DIA77E/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1399955648&sr=1-3&keywords=blu+snowball

I have this one its utter overkill but was on sale when I bought it was super cheap. I bought it for I want to say 80 or so dollars. 

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1399955683&sr=1-1&keywords=blue+yeti

Well its still in the picture in terms of power. For example for all intensive purposes I have a HD598 which has the total input impedance if 50 OHMS. My sound card has 3 settings for Impedance Normal Gain <64 which falls on my headphones then you have high gain which is between 64 and 300 OHMS and then you have 300-600 OHMS for extra high gain. I could blow out my headphones running at the higher power settings if I'm not mistaken. It's good to know this because in most cases yes you won't need a amp because the impedance is so low however in some cases as you move up in audiophile equipment you may. You have the HD800's which use 300 OHMS not something you can ignore. If even its a small part of the equation its still part of it. 

Yes, I know it is part of the equation, I'm just trying to point out to you that it's not the only factor. Your soundcard labels its gain settings as appropriate for impedance ranges because ASUS is dumb, not because more ohms actually means you need more gain.

300-ohm Sennheiser HD800's are easier to drive than 50-ohm AKG K701's

Yes, I know it is part of the equation, I'm just trying to point out to you that it's not the only factor. Your soundcard labels its gain settings as appropriate for impedance ranges because ASUS is dumb, not because more ohms actually means you need more gain.

Well I believe they use the baseline for impedance and they let those who know more to know more you can't always cover all the bases as to what can drive what. 

Ok so the final list: Mic- Blue Snowball/Headphones-ATH-M50. How much better is the blue yeti because that's a lot more money since I'll probably only be using it for voice chat. Once again- DO I NEED A SOUND CARD? HOW MUCH WILL IT COST IF I NEED ONE? HOW MUCH BETTER WILL THE SOUND BE?

Ok so the final list: Mic- Blue Snowball/Headphones-ATH-M50. How much better is the blue yeti because that's a lot more money since I'll probably only be using it for voice chat. Once again- DO I NEED A SOUND CARD? HOW MUCH WILL IT COST IF I NEED ONE? HOW MUCH BETTER WILL THE SOUND BE?

Dont go for the ATH-M50, you can get way better headphones

Also, the blue snowball isnt very good

Id honestly just get the ModMic 4.0

Like what? Everyone is giving different examples.

Id get the Sennheiser HD598's with the ModMic 4.0

That setup will be way better than the ATH-M50's

The ATH-M50's are the most over hyped pair of headphones

This is what I would do. go with the snowball or the snowflake if you want. I find the yeti is very sensitive and is probably a bit overkill for a general use mic it has a lot of other uses for example if you did podcasts or if you were using more then one person to talk into it. I would use the M50's with your onboard and see if the sound quality is enough for you if you feel its not enough perhaps re evaluate it. There are sound cards you can go for and dacs its all about what you feel works best for you. Like my questions earlier outlined you have to ask yourself questions for each scenario to see which bests fits your work scenario. 

@calarahil Ok I'll just go with what I said above. Webcam suggestions or is that just dumb?

@calarahil Ok I'll just go with what I said above. Webcam suggestions or is that just dumb?

Do you not have a webcam? Are you looking for one anyway. Could be a way to double up as a mic but its up to you though I don't know what you are working with. I like neweggs deals on the refurbed ones they sell the nice logitech ones for a cheaper price. 

for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3K81F36437

For headphone: Will you use it for gaming, and/or do you like spacious/wide sounds? If yes, then I'd say avoid the M50. It got very narrow soundstage (narrow/closed room feel). Maybe go with the AD500x or the AD700x, or any other open backed headphones. Open backed headphones are headphones with perforated backs. It gives a wider sense of sounds compared to closed backs generally. Of course there are some exception of closed backs with wide sounds, but usually they're a bit pricey. By the way, what's your budget for the headphone?

For soundcard: Only buy internal soundcard if you absolutely love their 3D sound algorithm, like CMSS, Dobly Headphone, etc. You can try listening to the algorithm in youtube. If you're not absolutely crazy about their 3D algorithm, I'd say go for external solutions. Get a DAC/amp combo. If you can stretch the budget a bit, go for separate things, a DAC + an amp. Ideally an amp is only used to amplify the sound, but most commercial amps give some coloring to the sound that could be pleasant on the headphone.

Just found this hilarious picture:

awrDmAx_700b_v1.jpg

Scumbag ohm.....:D

Also, the blue snowball isnt very good

Id honestly just get the ModMic 4.0

I know the modmic is really heavily pushed as well. However the only downside to it is that its in your face. I don't really care for mics in my face. I have my yeti on a table to the left of my computer desk and people can hear me perfectly. 

I saw my headphones recommended the 598's but they may be a little more out of your price range. I like to stay within peoples budgets. We can all play if we had the money we could buy this or that but its your money and we should respect that. You could get the 558's they are also open back and are fairly close in terms of quality. Keep in mind though that open back means that everyone will hear your headphones so if you are cool with that awesome :)

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-504631-HD-558-Headphones/dp/B004FEEY9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399958465&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+558