This Is The World's First Entirely 3D-Printed Gun (Photos)

Jozi

great maybe the next time they make something useful ^^

what doesn't kill me, level me up !

A gun...right...why not something usefull? -.-

But that's the kind of sterotype we get around here in the EU from the U.S....always about guns, killing each other and making money. Texas has a reputation for being one of the extremest states in U.S.... :mellow: :unsure: The rest just seems unimportant. I know that's not the case, but it looks like it quite a lot of times

Good news everyone...!

A gun...right...why not something usefull? -.-

But that's the kind of sterotype we get around here in the EU from the U.S....always about guns, killing each other and making money. Texas has a reputation for being one of the extremest states in U.S.... :mellow: :unsure: The rest just seems unimportant. I know that's not the case, but it looks like it quite a lot of times

i've written a response to this, and re-written almost 18x now. all i can kindly and reasonably say is that isn't a stereotype, that is pretty much how it sadly is.

as if the TSA wasn't anal probing far enough.

On a side note, my stuff to print list just got bigger...

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

well if your atf agent is doing their job they also need a form of confirmation of the weapon, ala inspection and approval. it was indeed smooth bore, and whether or not it is smooth bore is not the only factor in a aow.

it directly falls under catch all categories of smooth bore, disguised, and ability to be shot from a wallet holster. nor does it have a serial number as you mentioned. this is all HIGHLY illegal because he started this company to give guns to everyone. 

you still fall under the manufacturing of firearms laws that i briefly mentioned earlier. case in point, this is illegal and imho this thread should be deleted and the federal police need to arrest this teenager and shut down his website. 

He's not a teenager, he has the appropriate license, and the ATF said it was legal

Donna Sellers, from the ATF, told BBC News that the 3D-printed gun, as long as it was not a National Firearms Act weapon (an automatic gun, for example), was legal in the US.

She said: "[in the US] a person can manufacture a firearm for their own use. However, if they engage in the business of manufacture to sell a gun, they need a licence."

(from the bbc link above)

thing is, he IS a teenager in my eyes cause he's only like 220. he only NOW has the appropriate license because the atf and the 33d printing company his machine was from confiscated everything, the atf said it was legal because he finally has a license to manufacture and distribute after the years of him manufacturing parts. there are restrictions on manufacturing for own use, and it still has to be authorized by the proper authorities. 

please don't jump into an a debate because you read some bbc article.

thing is, he IS a teenager in my eyes cause he's only like 220. he only NOW has the appropriate license because the atf and the 33d printing company his machine was from confiscated everything, the atf said it was legal because he finally has a license to manufacture and distribute after the years of him manufacturing parts. there are restrictions on manufacturing for own use, and it still has to be authorized by the proper authorities. 

please don't jump into an a debate because you read some bbc article.

Sorry, I didn't realize that the debate was invite only! No matter that I actually have a lot of experience with 3D printing and am quite interested in the subject. And off course, it's bad form to use relevant and updated facts in a debate, especially since I got them from a reputable news source (which I think has to be unbiassed by law) from a different country than the USA. And I didn't realize that the definition of teenager was a floating one. Is 25 also a within the limit for the teenager label?

But you still think he should be arrested still? I can't imagine that the US government would have any problems shutting down the guy if they wanted. Just slap a confidential top secret label on it all, and it should be fine?

at that point you are dealing with a large amount of politics. this has gained traction and a sizeable following of people, and even though large organizations such as the nra firearms coalition etc, do not back him publicly, it still would raise questions of the entire populace of unfair treatment and censorship in the least. you'd also be dealing with accusations (no matter how just), of repression.

i wouldn't expect you to understand the intricacies of a government model like the u.s.a, nor the political implications of a website capable of international distribution of illegal distribution and manufacture of firearms. because hey, we should all allow people to freely build any kind of dangerous and undetectable weapon and give it to whomever we want, no matter their countries laws or the repercussions of allowing the chance of psycho's and children to own them. so lets just all let every crazy murdering loon in the world make untraceable and un-registered weaponry. because more weapons has never done anything wrong.

It's not like I'm pro-gun or anything, I would much prefer a society without them. I do however like technical innovation, and this guy has done some very nice things from that perspective. You're right, I'm not very familiar with the deeper workings of the US government, but this doesn't mean i'm stupid. ;) If one man and his 3D printer makes a big political mess, I can't help but think that the politicians deserved a hot potato in their lap. I imagine that the practical implications of his work will have very little impact. Firstly, most people who try to make that gun will probably fail, mostly because most printers are crap and doesn't have anything near the precision needed for a product like that. Secondly, it will probably be a lot easier to get a gun that works very well, the normal way one gets illegal fire arms.

It's not like I'm pro-gun or anything, I would much prefer a society without them. I do however like technical innovation, and this guy has done some very nice things from that perspective. You're right, I'm not very familiar with the deeper workings of the US government, but this doesn't mean i'm stupid. ;) If one man and his 3D printer makes a big political mess, I can't help but think that the politicians deserved a hot potato in their lap. I imagine that the practical implications of his work will have very little impact. Firstly, most people who try to make that gun will probably fail, mostly because most printers are crap and doesn't have anything near the precision needed for a product like that. Secondly, it will probably be a lot easier to get a gun that works very well, the normal way one gets illegal fire arms.

in early interviews with vice he had a terrible 3d printer, and made a upper that was capable of like 3 shots. even that would be fatal to someone that plans. not to mention you could bypass things like that to reinforce a design and use other methods like ceramic coating the barrel then rifling it etc. to help it operate more. 

you're right that the political implications are surprising that can come from one person, but he himself has said in multiple interviews he does this because he believes he is an anarchist. that in itself is admitting he is not an inventor, or a researcher, intellectual, pioneer or anything like that. he simply wants to stir the pot because he's a young guy with a personal vendetta against a society that most probably has made no slight to him. 

and yes, alot of his designs have failed in the past, vice even covers this. however he still has manufactured operational parts that would allow for quite a huge headache for the entire country. for instance, in florida you do not need a background check or permit to purchase a upper. you can simply buy one over the internet. now that you have that upper, then go to his website, download the files and make your own lower and magazine, and boom you have a double drum mag full auto assault rifle.  this can circumvent many restrictions, and to a resourceful person, a felon could then regain a dangerous weapon. 

it would be great if this was just an experiment like ibm does to just pioneer, but it isn't. its a child with a mission and i still believe it should be removed from this site, and his website shut down.

well the site just got taken down by the us government.

"#DEFCAD has gone dark at the request of the Department of Defense Trade Controls. Take it up with the Secretary of State."

https://twitter.com/DefDist

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac