This Is The World's First Entirely 3D-Printed Gun (Photos)

Jozi

md-systems-cube-printer-lion.png

Staples is pushing its consumer printing offerings into the third dimension. The office supply chain has begun selling 3D Systems' Cube printer through its site, as of this morning. Come the end of June, the WiFi-enabled, semi-portable printer will be hitting a select number of retail locations for $1,300. The Cube's availability follows news of some higher-end 3D printing offerings at a very select number of Staples locations. Check the source link below to pick up the Cube in one of five colors.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/03/3d-systems-staples/

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

i want one but i dont have the money

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

was going to post this yesterday, but the forum was down.

http://www.staples.com/Cube-3D-Printer-Silver/product_201876

online only, but free shipping to store.

it is one great step in the right direction to get 3d printers into the wild.

it just seems a little expensive for it's size and specs.

it's only 200 micron layer height, most I've seen are 100.

there's not much info given on the pla cartridges , it just says 13-14 mid sized creations, and they cost  $50.

it doesn't sound like it has a usb connection to a computer, it sounds like wifi or a usb flash drive are needed.

I'm thinking I like the kickstarter options over this, but no kickstarter printers I've been watching are shipping yet, so if you need a small printer now and are will to pay, this may be a good option.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Looks kinda stupid... but cool that it's made using a 3D printer

Interested in Business and Technology

That's pretty insane. A gun completely undetectable by current sensor tech.

Current rig: AMD Piledriver fx-8320 OC'd to 4.9ghz on 1.45v vcore | Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2 board | Gigabyte 7950 W3x| 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333mhz | 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD

I will buy one of this for my kids for christmas.... but then...

Btw the trigger seems broken or what?

Ammo is still metal and contains gun powder :-)

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

looks like somthing i made out of legos as a kid

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

i can see it happening, people going on to planes with 3d printers, then printing these out and killing everyone... shame it takes so long to print and the machines are massive lol

Character artist in the Games industry.

I bet if a thief breaks into your house and you have one of these you'd probably kill him easily... with laughter...

I think Bullets are still detectable.

Vice did a documentary/video/segment/whatever on these guys. Last i knew they were perfecting lower receivers for AR-15s, and printing high cap magazines.

http://defdist.org/

They also run this:
http://defcad.org/

It's a repository site for CAD models of gun components for 3D printing, that have been removed from elsewhere online (maker community?).

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

i can see it happening, people going on to planes with 3d printers, then printing these out and killing everyone... shame it takes so long to print and the machines are massive lol

Not likely.  First of all good luck not calling attention to yourself trying to use a 3d printer on a plane.  Then good luck printing anything successfully on a non stationary object.  Then good luck getting the bullets past security.  

BTW making your own guns without a sort of license is totally illegal..

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

This sort of thing is kinda scary when you think about it... with Piratebay's section on Physibles as well!  Just imagine if in the future people could go online and print there own gun off. 

BTW making your own guns without a sort of license is totally illegal..

that is actually not true

Q: Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

why would they need to get on a plane to kill everyone? ;/

that is actually not true

ACTUALLY, if you know that law you need to have approval by the nfa to print your own weapon, and some states require background checks in order to posess a firearm, therefore depending on the state you will need a background check, and permission from the atf to make such a weapon. 

this specifically would be classified as an aow, meaning all other weapons in that act which are normally taxed when commercially sold (there is more to it but i won't bother). so if this weapon is not intended for fully automatic use (in which case you would need a license showing it is intended for a federal or state agency only. all other cases most people do not have the capacity to construct such a firearm without using a normal upper, meaning that any individual is prohibited from assembling the weapon from any imported parts without due license/permit. mainly meaning it has to be made and shipped from the u.s.a, and if the law wishes to prevent you from being a psycho they could technically arrest you if it was imported between states.

another loophole they WILL want to arrest you on is if another individual were to operate this weapon other than the creator, which would be intent to distribute/sell. 

so the only way this would be legal, were if you would get the permission and pay the tax to the atf, never let anyone else touch the weapon, and make it purely from plastic parts. but wait there is more. new laws are restricting the use of certain magazines, in which case if you were to use any modified magazine (illegal in and of itself), or a high capacity magazine without license your weapon will be confiscated which would be the least of your problems.

furthermore if you would go to vice to learn more about these cases regarding 3d printed guns, if you were to use a 3d printer operating outside of the intended use the printer will be taken away with you. furthermore the man who created this gun has had to get a distributors license to even own them now.

also, simply owning the parts required to make an nfa weapon is restricted in and of itself, which also can be applied to 3d printers if that was the owners intended use.

why? because we don't need MORE psycho's with weapons now do we?

ACTUALLY, if you know that law you need to have approval by the nfa to print your own weapon, and some states require background checks in order to posess a firearm, therefore depending on the state you will need a background check, and permission from the atf to make such a weapon. 

this specifically would be classified as an aow, meaning all other weapons in that act which are normally taxed when commercially sold (there is more to it but i won't bother). so if this weapon is not intended for fully automatic use (in which case you would need a license showing it is intended for a federal or state agency only. all other cases most people do not have the capacity to construct such a firearm without using a normal upper, meaning that any individual is prohibited from assembling the weapon from any imported parts without due license/permit. mainly meaning it has to be made and shipped from the u.s.a, and if the law wishes to prevent you from being a psycho they could technically arrest you if it was imported between states.

another loophole they WILL want to arrest you on is if another individual were to operate this weapon other than the creator, which would be intent to distribute/sell. 

so the only way this would be legal, were if you would get the permission and pay the tax to the atf, never let anyone else touch the weapon, and make it purely from plastic parts. but wait there is more. new laws are restricting the use of certain magazines, in which case if you were to use any modified magazine (illegal in and of itself), or a high capacity magazine without license your weapon will be confiscated which would be the least of your problems.

The pistol presented would only need a tax stamp if its a smooth bore pistol.  I did not check if it was or was not.  Of course the simple fix to that is making the barrel with rifling.  It would then not be an aow and no stamp or permission slip required from the federal government.  

State laws will vary and you should always check both federal and state laws before you purchase (or attempt to make in this case) any firearm.  I myself happen to live in a free state.  So long as I did not violate the NFA (again for this gun listed the issue would be if it is a smooth bore) I could legally make a firearm,.  

The basic jest of making your own firearm is if you cannot legally buy it without first getting permission then chances are you cannot build it.  By permission I do not mean a NICS check.  

And yes,  if you make a weapon without a serial number presented to the BATF you cannot let anyone so much as touch said firearm.  

In 9/10 cases you'll get arrested

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Not really sure about the implications, but I love the engineering involved. Vices' documentary was really interesting and kind of scary at the same time. Will be fascinating to see where this tech ends up. 

#KILLEDMYWIFE

The pistol presented would only need a tax stamp if its a smooth bore pistol.  I did not check if it was or was not.  Of course the simple fix to that is making the barrel with rifling.  It would then not be an aow and no stamp or permission slip required from the federal government.  

State laws will vary and you should always check both federal and state laws before you purchase (or attempt to make in this case) any firearm.  I myself happen to live in a free state.  So long as I did not violate the NFA (again for this gun listed the issue would be if it is a smooth bore) I could legally make a firearm,.  

The basic jest of making your own firearm is if you cannot legally buy it without first getting permission then chances are you cannot build it.  By permission I do not mean a NICS check.  

And yes,  if you make a weapon without a serial number presented to the BATF you cannot let anyone so much as touch said firearm.  

well if your atf agent is doing their job they also need a form of confirmation of the weapon, ala inspection and approval. it was indeed smooth bore, and whether or not it is smooth bore is not the only factor in a aow.

it directly falls under catch all categories of smooth bore, disguised, and ability to be shot from a wallet holster. nor does it have a serial number as you mentioned. this is all HIGHLY illegal because he started this company to give guns to everyone. 

you still fall under the manufacturing of firearms laws that i briefly mentioned earlier. case in point, this is illegal and imho this thread should be deleted and the federal police need to arrest this teenager and shut down his website.