BSOD after graphics card driver installation

Greetings all!! 

This is my first build (I'm a Mac guy  :ph34r:) but this issue is evading even my IT friends.  

First off, components:

cpu: AMD FX-6300
mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
gpu: MSI Radeon HD 7850 Twin Frozr  RMA'd---> XFX 7870 Double-D 
ram: G.Skill DDR3-2133 2x4gb
psu: Seasonic X750  RMA'd---> Corsair AX760
hdd: Hitachi 500gb 2.5in (from Macbook Pro)

case: Corsair 650D

Sooo..

- As you can see, I thought it was the card at first, so I RMA'd it.  Then someone told me it could be a faulty PSU, so I RMA'd that too.  STILL getting BSOD!!! 

- However, with the new PSU I have not tried a fresh install of Windows yet-- will be trying that over the weekend.  

- Every time I install the graphics card drivers (tried most recent and oldest drivers I could find) I get BSOD

- At first it used to hang on the Starting Windows screen.  Now it actually gets past that screen and just goes black-- then BSOD

- Tried both DVI and HMDI from card to monitor. Mobo does not have any video out.

- Tried a ATI FirePro V3750 between getting the new card.  After driver install, THIS card got the furthest.  It loaded half of my desktop-- the rest of the screen was black with lines across it.  No idea why...

Does anyone have any insight into what might be causing this issue??  It's been 3 weeks of troubleshooting and I'm losing my mind!!  

THANK YOU in advance for your help.. Crappy picture attached just for fun!

TL;DR:  Drivers for graphics card caused BSOD.  Same problem with new GPU and PSU.

post-10874-0-10945200-1367529852_thumb.j

post-10874-0-10945200-1367529852_thumb.j

Have had a similar problem, a BIOS update fixed it, if you haven't tried this yet you should definitely give it a shot. :)

1.  Are you installing the whole AMD vision software or just the driver?

2. Have you updated the BIOS?

3. Have you changed your DRAM timings and set the correct speed?

4. What monitor are you connecting the card too as a mate had an issue with an OLD mac monitor that caused BSOD as it messed up the AMD vision software.

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

AWESOME!  Thank you for the replies!

1. I believe I've tried both previously.  But only tried the AMD software package since the new PSU.  Will be trying both again. 

2. I do want to try a BIOS upgrade-- but the two updates listed on Gigabyte's page didn't seem like they were really relevant to my issue.  Worth a shot!?

3. I have not changed the DRAM timings nor speed.  I will try this!  Is it because my RAM is 2133 and my mobo only supports up to 2000(OC)?

4. I'm using a 27in Viewsonic IPS panel (VX2770SMH) 

Thanks for the help!  I will be trying all these options over the weekend.

So,

1. I've tried multiple ways of installing the drivers.  Removed permission for Windows to auto-install drivers upon boot, so that I can install them instead.    Also, uninstalled software, ran CCleaner, then Driver Sweeper.. no luck.  Now I get a fail during the CCC install (AMD display driver and HDMI audio driver both fail to install).

2. I've updated the BIOS to the latest version, no luck.  Reset BIOS to default settings as well..

3. I'm not quite sure how exactly to change the DRAM timings, or what to change them to.. any suggestions? 

I'm about to try a fresh install because I'm running out of options.  Could the mobo be bad possibly??

Thanks for all your help!

just remembered ....

Do you have net framework 4 installed?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/download/details.aspx?id=17851

As this is needed to get the AMD software to run

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

I had this problem with the (obsolete) AMD 5570.

Trying older drivers now.. back to 12.4 and still no luck.   Gets stuck at "Starting Windows" screen now...

Any suggestions??

Man, I feel your pain, not much fun when things don't work...

stupid question, time now...

did you do a fresh install of windows when you first put this build together with all current and same components..

what version of windows are your use using OEM or Retail if OEM is it a from a branded make.

Thanks for the response!!

Couple things first..  tried the video card and ram in my brother's rig and everything worked fine.  He was able to install the drivers no problem.  The ram checked out okay as well-- even did a memtest. 

Now, it seems like there is quite a large possibility that it's the motherboard, right?   The psu has been replaced, the video card and ram work fine.. I was maybe going to try to breadboard the rig to see if maybe something isn't causing it to short out in the case?  Is that unnecessary?

The OS was freshly installed quite a few times since I built this rig-- about a month ago!  haha  I have a copy through my work so I suppose OEM?  But I'll admit I did try a crack a few times as well--one that I know worked on other machines.

I actually took a photo of the BSOD screen:   http://imgur.com/PKwTagT,8r9xo9V

Fixed this issue twice...

Windows fresh installation, as bad included drivers killed something, the other cases was incompatible memory.

But the list of possible causes

Insufficient power. Not an issue for you

Bad Memory module. You tested ram so unlikely

OverClocking. N/A

Motherboard/Memory Compatibility. A possibility. Try some other ram

Overheating. N/A

Defective Motherboard. A possibility.

Wrong broken drivers. A possibility try fresh install.

Bad PCI-E Slot. A possibility try anouther slot.

What I would try first.

Install windows fresh, make sure all updates are done make sure you install sp1

install the net framework 4.0 software

Restart and go for driver installation useing the amd automatic driver installation software from there main site...

I had the same problems with my 7870. atikmpag.sys error BSOD. for me the solution was simply turn of AMD overdrive. Somehow it got in the way of my overclock and was throwing me BSODs

btw. off topic. what is that monitor you are using? that bezel looks so good.

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

Thanks for the help!!! 

Fixed this issue twice...

Windows fresh installation, as bad included drivers killed something, the other cases was incompatible memory.

But the list of possible causes

Insufficient power. Not an issue for you
Bad Memory module. You tested ram so unlikely
OverClocking. N/A
Motherboard/Memory Compatibility. A possibility. Try some other ram
Overheating. N/A
Defective Motherboard. A possibility.
Wrong broken drivers. A possibility try fresh install.
Bad PCI-E Slot. A possibility try anouther slot.

What I would try first.
Install windows fresh, make sure all updates are done make sure you install sp1
install the net framework 4.0 software
Restart and go for driver installation useing the amd automatic driver installation software from there main site...

The motherboard says up to 2000 (OC), while my ram is at 2133 MHz (PC3 17000).   It runs them at 1600 by default I believe.  My board does have support for Extreme Memory Profiles, maybe I'll try that?  Or I'll have to figure out how to manually change the timings and speed.  Though, I don't know why my BSOD would only happen after graphics card install if it's a ram issue?

I've tried several fresh installs doing just that method-- still nothing.  

I've tried other PCI-E slots-- nope.  

So basically.. either a ram incompatibility or a faulty mobo?   I think I'll give Gigabyte a call and see what they have to say...

I had the same problems with my 7870. atikmpag.sys error BSOD. for me the solution was simply turn of AMD overdrive. Somehow it got in the way of my overclock and was throwing me BSODs

btw. off topic. what is that monitor you are using? that bezel looks so good.

I wish I could even load that far to be able to turn off AMD overdrive!   The monitor is a 27in Viewsonic IPS panel (VX2770SMH)-- I love the bezel, very minimal!  Great monitor for the price!  

Yes, all the .NET stuff is up to date.   

How did you solve your problem?

Well it just decided to work after the BSOD which was a bit strange...

Just spoke with Gigabyte about the motherboard, and they gave me a couple alternatives...

1. Try different ram-- especially of slower speed

2. Try an NVIDA card

He seemed against the idea that the motherboard could be at fault.  But, it will be easier to try different ram than an NVIDIA card, I don't have a lot of PC gaming friends haha.

It might be your drivers timing out and causing it to BSOD:

Try this method that I suggested in another thread to see if this works.

Use this link: http://msdn.microsof...ibrary/ff569918(VS.85).aspx

Follow the TdrDelay section. When you are in the GraphicsDrivers folder, create a new Dword key in that folder with the name TdrDelay and set the value to 8 to see if that helps or start with 2 and go higher.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

try uninstalling any gpu tweaking programs and antiviruses, ut was a combination of afterburner and avast that was causing the bsod with me.

It might be your drivers timing out and causing it to BSOD:

Try this method that I suggested in another thread to see if this works.

Tried the method listed, but still no luck.   :(

try uninstalling any gpu tweaking programs and antiviruses, ut was a combination of afterburner and avast that was causing the bsod with me.

This is a fresh install, so I have no programs or even antivirus on yet.  

Would anyone disagree with my logic here?  

I'm thinking I have to RMA the motherboard at this point.  

Tried about all that I could as suggested by you guys and my own research.  

Is there even a possibility that the motherboard could be causing this specific issue??  The technical support guy I talked to didn't think so.  But I'd like a second opinion.  It's basically the only piece of hardware left that hasn't been replaced.  I even breadboarded the rig to make sure it wasn't a shorting out in the case or something.  

It's been over a month already!!  You can see all the things I've tried in this thread.

I wish I had a magical genie to make this work!

I think you have gone above and beyond the call of duty with testing, send theomobo back and I really hope this sorts things out for you...

I think you have gone above and beyond the call of duty with testing, send theomobo back and I really hope this sorts things out for you...

Well I'm glad I'm not just going crazy!  Thank you 

I had this happen to me yesterday, after reinstalling ati drivers. Weirdest thing is only cure I could find was swapping the usb port that my joystick was plugged into. Didn't make sense as everything was ok as it was before the driver reinstall, but that's what ended up fixing it.

• 1 month later...

Well, time to resurrect an old thread!   But this problem has still not gone away.   :(  

I sent my motherboard back to Gigabyte as a last ditch effort, which took 3 weeks.   The memo they wrote with my returned mobo was written half in Chinese!  Thankfully, my coworker translated it for me, this is all it said:

"M_BIOS DATA ERROR, used B_BIOS RECOVER afterwards starts normally"

So all they did was flash the bios???   I put it all back together yesterday and did a fresh install of Windows 7, got it all updated, and installed AMD drivers, and got the same BSOD after the restart. 

Does anyone have any magical fairy dust that fixes these sorts of problems??  I've tried this video card in a different machine and it worked perfectly!!  By the time this rig works, all the parts will be out-dated!!  :blink:

Many thanks to anyone who is willing to help!