No power on with 2nd GPU powered, anything I'm not thinking of?

Snowmirage

Been at this PC rebuild all night and could use a "2nd pair of eyes" so to speak.

Have this giant custom case I built, with a major design flaw.... its nearly impossible to get to anything in the "basement".

I have a new x570 board with 1 of the 2 GTX 980s power cables plugged in system powers on fine even boots the OS.

When I plug in power cables for the 2nd GTX 980 the system wont power on at all, nothing.

I moved the "known working" power cables from the 1st card to the 2nd and see the same issue.

Can anyone think of anything that could be wrong here other than that 2nd GTX 980 going bad, and so bad to a point that its causing the entire system to not even power on when its booted.

For some history, this was working about 8-12 months ago with an old SR-2 Motherboard, assumed that old Motherboard died when it stopped powering on one day.  I guess it could have been this GPU the entire time.

PXL_20200928_193300714.jpg

PXL_20200928_193307593.jpg

Project EGOR - Overkill on a budget

Have you tried with the "faulty" gpu only? What wattage psu do you have?

Edit- sorry the pics didn't load for me the first time.  Idk how reasonable it would be for you to test the second card in the first pcie slot.

Edited by GordosTacoShop

Thanks for the ideas.

This issue was happening with out the cards actually connected to the motherboard.  Just the power cables connected.

So with our without the "faulty" gpu connected to the motherboard, if the PCI-E power cables are connected to that card it wont power on.

3 minutes ago, Snowmirage said:

As for the PSU its a Corsair AX1500i

wow, thats some juce. what exact setup?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Snowmirage said:

Thanks for the ideas.

This issue was happening with out the cards actually connected to the motherboard.  Just the power cables connected.

So with our without the "faulty" gpu connected to the motherboard, if the PCI-E power cables are connected to that card it wont power on.

make sure you quote people so that we can see your responses.

a power cable connected to a GPU that's not in the motherboard can certainly cause problems. do both the GPUs work by themselves, plugged into the motherboard individually?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

make sure you quote people so that we can see your responses.

a power cable connected to a GPU that's not in the motherboard can certainly cause problems. do both the GPUs work by themselves, plugged into the motherboard individually?

Good call I'll remember to do that

If I take the known good GPU with the known good Power and PCI-E ribbon cable and connect it to the 2nd X16 PCI-E slot on the motherboard (MSI X570 Ultra) system powers on as expected.

If I take that exact setup but move the PCI-E ribbon (extension) cable and PCI-E power cables off the 1st known Good GPU and move them to the 2nd the System wont boot..... Well scratch that wont Power on.  

Hit the power button and I think sometimes I hear a click, but thats it.

2 minutes ago, Snowmirage said:

If I take the known good GPU with the known good Power and PCI-E ribbon cable and connect it to the 2nd X16 PCI-E slot on the motherboard (MSI X570 Ultra) system powers on as expected.

If I take that exact setup but move the PCI-E ribbon (extension) cable and PCI-E power cables off the 1st known Good GPU and move them to the 2nd the System wont boot..... Well scratch that wont Power on.

so what I think you described is that one GPU was tested in both slots, working fine, but the second one is not allowing the PSU to turn on?

could be a short in the PCIe connector in the card, causing direct issues with the PSU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

wow, thats some juce. what exact setup?

Check out the post in my signature.

TLDR it was a Unraid 2 Gamers 1 CPU system running an EVGA SR-2 motherboard with Two overclocked Xeon CPUs
Bunch of ram
2 GTX 980s
24x 3.5" Drives
12x 2.5" SSDs
My napkin math told me it could in theory pull ~1300W 

But about 8-12 months ago it just died.  Assumed the motherboard had given up the farm, now its appears maybe it was this GPU the entire time... O well it never could quite do the Gaming thing with that old weird.... but so very cool !... hardware.  I had been waiting to put in a new Threadripper CPU to continue the level of "hardware awesomeness" it had before but I just can't responsibly spend $2k + on this right now maybe down the road.

For now I took the 3700x out of my desktop PC and replaced it with a 3100 and put the 3700x in this with a new motherboard and that pretty well catches us up to today... err yesterday... What ever it is I've been up for 30+ hours putting in the new mobo and rebuilding everything at this point...

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

so what I think you described is that one GPU was tested in both slots, working fine, but the second one is not allowing the PSU to turn on?

could be a short in the PCIe connector in the card, causing direct issues with the PSU.

Yup thats correct.

I'll inspect the PCI-e connectors on the 2nd (bad) card and see if anything looks borked....

If that fails.... I guess I'll try pretending its a NES game and blow on it really hard until it works..... 🤦‍♂️

If that fails.... I guess I'll try pretending its a NES game and blow on it really hard until it works..... 🤦‍♂️

you could try a cartridge tilt xD

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Snowmirage said:

Yup thats correct.

I'll inspect the PCI-e connectors on the 2nd (bad) card and see if anything looks borked....

The cable might also have a slight issue, and only work on the one card. Have you tried the original cables yet?

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

you could try a cartridge tilr xD

After extensive testing I have indeed confirmed the NES fix .....

had no effect at all.. :( lol

Just now, Snowmirage said:

After extensive testing I have indeed confirmed the NES fix .....

had no effect at all.. :( lol

lol, how bout the tried and true technique?

Spoiler

Bang it on the table a couple times.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The cable might also have a slight issue, and only work on the one card. Have you tried the original cables yet?

Good idea unfortunately some idiot (..... me) designed this case with no basement access...  when I put it together I had to have 2 friends hold it up in the air while I bolted the bottom half on.

I would suspect the chances of the power cables (both sets mind you) working in card 1 but not card 2 are really really slim.  But you are right totally possible.

I guess for now I'm going to just toss an old air cooled GTX 780 in there for the 2nd gamer.  With the pandemic I wont be having friends over to the house to game anytime soon anyway.  This should let me get everything back up and running.  Then down the road I could try to replace that card, or more likely upgrade them both.

What's particularly aggravating here (other than the idiot that designed this case!!!! again... me...) is that I have a total of 4 GTX 980s....

The 2 in this system under those water blocks and 2 more EVGA 980s that were in my desktop until I upgraded to a 2080ti a while back.  But... those are King Pin cards I got a deal on... So the blocks in this system aren't going to work with them otherwise I'd just swap that 2nd gpus water block onto another card.  

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

lol, how bout the tried and true technique?

Hide contents

Bang it on the table a couple times.

I would have tried that before posting but its a good 2 3 hrs of work to drain the loop and remove the card... haha :)

7 minutes ago, Snowmirage said:

I would have tried that before posting but its a good 2 3 hrs of work to drain the loop and remove the card... haha :)

lol, is it possible that you have too much power draw? Is the PSU dieind ans not giving enough voltage? If you are using 2 in sli now, just take your losses

EDIT: I said voltage, and meant wattage, lol, though that may be a problem there too. I had a prebuilt from 10 years ago I put a rx480 in, and its 250w psu not giving enough volts did this exact thing.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

lol, is it possible that you have too much power draw? Is the PSU dieind ans not giving enough voltage? If you are using 2 in sli now, just take your losses

EDIT: I said voltage, and meant wattage, lol, though that may be a problem there too. I had a prebuilt from 10 years ago I put a rx480 in, and its 250w psu not giving enough volts did this exact thing.

In this case I'm not even connecting both cards at once.  It works with 1 gpu, keep everything the same cables and all and swap to the other card instead and now power on.

Just now, Snowmirage said:

In this case I'm not even connecting both cards at once.  It works with 1 gpu, keep everything the same cables and all and swap to the other card instead and now power on.

like I meant, the psu may be bad and is not getting the propper power, and the 2 gpus are too much. Or do you mean that one is bad and the other works?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

like I meant, the psu may be bad and is not getting the propper power, and the 2 gpus are too much. Or do you mean that one is bad and the other works?

Ya 1 GPU seems fine other GPU seems to be bad

Ya 1 GPU seems fine other GPU seems to be bad

Lol, I know it seems weird, but ddu the drivers. I had a problem where I would be stuck on a VGA error, and DDUing drivers fixed it.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler