Differences between, Hyper 212 EVO, Hyper H412R and be quiet! Pure Rock Slim

AndreiArgeanu

So, I was kind of looking at upgrading the cooling on my ryzen 3 3100 system since if I run the system with GameBoost (MSI Self overclock something), it puts the cpu at 4.2ghz all core and the cpu hits 94-101C constantly on stock cooler, it never throttled but the high temps are concerning so I turned it off. So I've been looking at a cheap upgrade to keep the CPU cool. The clearance in my case is about 15cm, maybe. So I've been looking at the Hyper 212 EVO at 26£, Hyper H412R at 20£ and the be quiet! Pure Rock Slim at 20£. I'm not sure if the Hyper 212 EVO will fit the case. The H412R looks to be the best choice. But I can't confirm the quality of either coolers.

71E3rL8ilIL._AC_SL1169_.jpg

51Bn7fufclL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61biv0MkggL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Edited by LogicalDrm
Fixed formatting

They are pretty solid choice. I don't think it would be a problem keeping the cpu under 80c.

The coolermasters have more heatpipes (4) than the pure rock (3), but taller, you should check the manual for the height.

It should fit normal ATX case.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

What case and ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:47 PM, AndreiArgeanu said:

So, I was kind of looking at upgrading the cooling on my ryzen 3 3100 system since if I run the system with GameBoost (MSI Self overclock something), it puts the cpu at 4.2ghz all core and the cpu hits 94-101C constantly on stock cooler, it never throttled but the high temps are concerning so I turned it off. So I've been looking at a cheap upgrade to keep the CPU cool. The clearance in my case is about 15cm, maybe. So I've been looking at the Hyper 212 EVO at 26£, Hyper H412R at 20£ and the be quiet! Pure Rock Slim at 20£. I'm not sure if the Hyper 212 EVO will fit the case. The H412R looks to be the best choice. But I can't confirm the quality of either coolers.

71E3rL8ilIL._AC_SL1169_.jpg

How many volts is the MSI oc pushing through it?  That’s very hot

1 hour ago, StarsMars said:

How many volts is the MSI oc pushing through it?  That’s very hot

No idea, it all looks auto to me. The auto boost jus says, base clock+600mhz, and it sets the cpu fan to run at 100% all the time.

3 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case and ram are you using?

It's a cheap case I got off amazon, doesn't have much info. that's why I kind of measured the clearance and gave the smallest number I got.

The case is a ionz kz08, with 4 cheap Antec 120mm. I have a 5th one that I didn't install. (it was part of a 5 pack). The ram is Corsair Vengeance (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) 2X8gb kit at 3200mhz, currently running at 2400mhz because A-xmp doesn't work, but I contatcted MSI and if it doesn't work out I'm getting a different kit.

611OG9wz0NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

image.thumb.png.134992097c75b04f4d86d90445b7a126.png

Edited by LogicalDrm
Fixed formatting

14 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

It's a cheap case I got off amazon, doesn't have much info. that's why I kind of measured the clearance and gave the smallest number I got.

The case is a ionz kz08, with 4 cheap Antec 120mm. I have a 5th one that I didn't install. (it was part of a 5 pack). The ram is Corsair Vengeance (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) 2X8gb kit at 3200mhz, currently running at 2400mhz because A-xmp doesn't work, but I contatcted MSI and if it doesn't work out I'm getting a different kit.

If the clearance is only ~150mm, I wouldn't recommend the 159mm coolers like the Hyper 212 Evo which probably wouldn't fit. It's also a bit old. 

Have you tried reverting to default motherboard settings and then using XMP? Is the motherboard bios up to date?

I'm not sure how good GameBoost it's static and not very efficient if the system spends a lot of time idling. I'd recommend checking out PBO instead if you want to oc. 

31 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

No idea, it all looks auto to me. The auto boost jus says, base clock+600mhz, and it sets the cpu fan to run at 100% all the time.

Auto is normal but you should see what the voltage is at load. I personally use OCCT and HWInfo. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is the motherboard bios up to date?

I'm not sure? The BIOS theoretically says that it's bios is newer than what is available on MSI's website so I didn't bother updating it. Below is the latest BIOS version on MSI's website for the B450 Tomahawk Max and the screenshot from my bios that lists the BIOS build date. Now I have no idea whether the BIOS uses the DD/MM/YYYY format or MM/DD/YYYY.

image.png.5e13168564e996e27e9792b4a47b102f.pngimage.png.537149a7758f2fde12405bd81c7eeee0.png

13 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I'm not sure? The BIOS theoretically says that it's bios is newer than what is available on MSI's website so I didn't bother updating it. Below is the latest BIOS version on MSI's website for the B450 Tomahawk Max and the screenshot from my bios that lists the BIOS build date. Now I have no idea whether the BIOS uses the DD/MM/YYYY format or MM/DD/YYYY

It's MM/DD/YYYY. It looks like you already have the same recent bios version. 

Have you tried reverting to default motherboard settings and then using XMP?

Out of the coolers mentioned, I'd go with the H412R since it can be mounted to exhaust out the back of the case. The PR Slim would exhaust upwards to what seems like a more restrictive top panel. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried reverting to default motherboard settings and then using XMP?

Yes. I have contacted MSI's support to see if they can figure something out about the memory. Otherwise I might just return it and get some other memory.