How does it look?

Budget: ~$1700 USD (+/-$200)

Parts List (RTX 3070 to be added later)

I'm planning on using it primarily for gaming. I'll be adding two drives of my own as well (128GB SATA m.2 and 960GB SATA SSD). Hoping to build it in about 3 months or so.

How does it look? Anything need to be swapped? Any alternatives? And is the Monitor a good choice? Any advice is appreciated! :D

Edited by TheyCallMeTurtle

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeTurtle said:

Hoping to build it in about 3 months or so.

Everything will change (pricing/availability) in 3 months.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

is this for gaming?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

is this for gaming?

Yes it is. Sorry, forgot to add that.

a few things:

1) unless you want a system rn itd be worth to wait and see how zen 3 turns out, it's being annouced october 8th and will have a successor to the 3700x. intel currently holds a lead for 1080p gaming which would be a similarly priced system for ~10% better framerates but zen 3 may change that.

2) you may want a small, cheap aftermarket cooler for a chip like the 3700x, like a hyper 212 or arctic freezer 33/34. not absolutely necessary but will lower temps and be a lot quieter than the wraith stock cooler.

3) some crucial ballistix memory would be better performance, 3600c18 is about equal to 3200c16 but you can get ballistix dimms at 3600c16 which would be a nice performance bump at 1080p.

4) samsung drives are overpriced, you can get a 1tb nvme that would be indistinguishable in typical gaming usage for the same price as the 500gb 970 evo. the western digital sn550, kingston a2000, and crucial p1 are great choices. anything faster than sata ssd speeds makes no discernible difference in games.

5) the focus g is an ok budget case but for a build at this price you should treat yourself to a nice case that would be easier to build in and such. there are a ton of great cases in the <100 dollar range, go for something that looks nice to you and has good reviews

6) the msi monitor is overpriced, a comparable aoc is ~150 bucks and a proper ips 144hz 1080p monitor is 160-180 bucks. the asus vp249qgr and aoc 24g2 are the best choices in this price range and are cheaper and better than the msi.

psu choice is good :D

tbh its not a bad build as it is but these changes would turn it into a kickass build thats better bang for your buck

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeTurtle said:

Yes it is. Sorry, forgot to add that.

Its a bit more, but I would do a build more like this. 

the 970 evo is overpriced. I went for a cheaper motherboard.

The cpu stock cooler is ok, but I added a NH-D15 black. 

I replaced ram for 3600mhx cl16. Ryzen likes 3600mhz cl16. 

I added a 2tb HDD, since you said you were using it for gaming. 500gb will fill up fast

I replaced the PSU for a Cosair RM 750w. It costs more than the one you listed, but it is a amazing PSU. Btw, its hard to get the 750w one RN, so the 850w is about 10$  cheaper. This will probably change by the time you build.

That monitor seems to be fine.

If you are not dead set on that case, the Meshify C is one of the best cases ever.

Also, just wait fr 4th gen ryzen.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I replaced ram for 3600mhx cl16. Ryzen likes 3600mhz cl16. 

ballistix 3600c16 are currently cheaper than the ripjaws and guaranteed e-die which if op gets into overclocking down the road, theyll kick ass

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

18 minutes ago, TheyCallMeTurtle said:

Budget: ~$1700 USD (+/-$200)

Parts List (RTX 3070 to be added later)

I'm planning on using it primarily for gaming. I'll be adding two drives of my own as well (128GB SATA m.2 and 960GB SATA SSD). Hoping to build it in about 3 months or so.

How does it look? Anything need to be swapped? Any alternatives? And is the Monitor a good choice? Any advice is appreciated! :D

try this instead: 

Case and PSU are about $90 and $130 respectively, they're in and out of stock all the time 

•  
I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

10 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

RTX 3080

yo, why a 3080? Thats not what he wanted.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Parts List (Updated)

NOTE: I have an additional 960GB SSD, so storage won't be much of a problem.

Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it. I swapped out the Samsung evo for a 1TB Crucial P1 (~$18 more for twice the capacity) and swapped in the ripjaws cl16, as well as a better case (big thanks to VeganJoy and TechWizard for the detailed advice).

I'll hold off on the CPU to see what zen 3 will look like, but how does it look now? Any other changes I should make?

20 minutes ago, TheyCallMeTurtle said:

Parts List (Updated)

NOTE: I have an additional 960GB SSD, so storage won't be much of a problem.

Thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it. I swapped out the Samsung evo for a 1TB Crucial P1 (~$18 more for twice the capacity) and swapped in the ripjaws cl16, as well as a better case (big thanks to VeganJoy and TechWizard for the detailed advice).

I'll hold off on the CPU to see what zen 3 will look like, but how does it look now? Any other changes I should make?

ballistix are currently cheaper and are better than the ripjaws, but thats not too big a deal unless you wanna overclock in the future. motherboard is a bit overpriced but its pretty decent. try and get an ips monitor instead of a va, better colors, viewing angles, and no ghosting issues. 200 bucks covers plenty of ips 144hz panels, va 144hz should be closer to 150 bucks. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler