Convince me to abandon my NH-D15

mao91

know that the Kraken x62 is pretty similar performance per noise level when compared to the NH-D15.

But is the price justifiable? To debunk the most common arguments against the NH-D15, in order to remove them from this conversation:

RAM clearance: low-profile RAM does exist. And it's not expensive.
PCIe slot clearance: I have not had any issue with my tip PCIe slot, but my 970 doesn't have a backplate and I'm not really a gamer, I don't foresee myself replacing it anytime soon. 

Side notes:
Peripheral performance: The NH-D15 helps aid in case airflow, and can help with motherboard cooling.
Reliability: GN has been over this. An air cooler, at the end of the day, is going to be more reliable than a liquid cooler.

Curb appeal: There is something innately aesthetic (to me) about a large air cooler and the bit of imagination it invokes regarding "what must be sitting under it." 

The only reason I'm asking is because I'm contemplating moving to a proper rackmount case. Please note that this is a very cautious curiosity and I probably won't make the switch, to either a rackmount chassis or to a liquid cooler.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Why should we convince you not to get a NH-D15?   That seems to be the air cooler that you want and I see no reason in your post to advise otherwise.  You aren't asking for an equivalent to save money, or better looks or anything of that nature.

BTW, there is an all black version from Noctua as well if you want the non beige version:  https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black

case compatibility

ease of taking out the GPU when you can use your hand to unlock the pcie slot instead of poking it with a screwdriver and risk stabbing a hole in your board if you slip

but don't you work with audio? so idk if water bubbling and pump noise is something you want to add to your system

I've ran heatsinks without a fan on ~40W CPU before.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, PyroTheWise said:

Why should we convince you not to get a NH-D15?   That seems to be the air cooler that you want and I see no reason in your post to advise otherwise.  You aren't asking for an equivalent to save money, or better looks or anything of that nature.

BTW, there is an all black version from Noctua as well if you want the non beige version:  https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black

Case compatibility was the big one. Right now I've got a Pure Base 500 from Be Quiet turned sideways in my rack sitting on a sliding shelf. Those two things end up snatching a disappointing 7U from my case. 

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

case compatibility

ease of taking out the GPU when you can use your hand to unlock the pcie slot instead of poking it with a screwdriver and risk stabbing a hole in your board if you slip

but don't you work with audio? so idk if water bubbling and pump noise is something you want to add to your system

I've ran heatsinks without a fan on ~40W CPU before.

Eh, I've gotten accustomed to using a chop stick to uncouple my graphics card whenever necessary. But yes, the noise of the pump and water are concerning to me.

3 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Case compatibility was the big one. Right now I've got a Pure Base 500 from Be Quiet turned sideways in my rack sitting on a sliding shelf. Those two things end up snatching a disappointing 7U from my case.

PC Part picker can help you determine case compatibility and Noctua also has the specifications on determining your own case compatibility.   Are you looking for recommendations for CPU coolers to go into a rack mount case?   If so, what size? 

7 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Eh, I've gotten accustomed to using a chop stick to uncouple my graphics card whenever necessary. But yes, the noise of the pump and water are concerning to me.

another point against the D15 is if you move your system around a lot, it puts more stress on that cpu socket and board

but it's not a big issue anyways, unless you drop it or something

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

19 hours ago, PyroTheWise said:

PC Part picker can help you determine case compatibility and Noctua also has the specifications on determining your own case compatibility.   Are you looking for recommendations for CPU coolers to go into a rack mount case?   If so, what size? 

If I were to go with a rack case I’m fairly certain I’d do the X62. The question would then be a matter of what rack case would suit my desire to add bitumen sheeting to the sides and behind the motherboard for acoustic dampening? 

19 hours ago, Moonzy said:

another point against the D15 is if you move your system around a lot, it puts more stress on that cpu socket and board

but it's not a big issue anyways, unless you drop it or something

Surprisingly this (being my biggest concern when I build my X99 system in 2015) has not been a problem at all. I’ve moved a lot too. Now my system lays on its side so even that mild concern is no longer a part of my decision process. 

5 hours ago, Nanook said:

NH-D15 and Kraken x62 pfffft.

I see this after I made my comments.

Imagine using an AIO

- This post is made by Noctua gang.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |